Fake PSP game?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

A Button
Fake PSP game?

Post by A Button » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:03 am

So I bought Star Ocean: Second Evolution on eBay a while ago. The game works fine, but I think it might be some kind of fake.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/kwk-jaga ... 0_6146.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the left, 3 games that I bought new from stores. On the left, Star Ocean.

As you can see there's no UMD, PSP or Playstation logos on the Star Ocean disc. They seem to be on all other UMDs including European and Japanese ones, so I have no idea why this doesn't have them. Google Image search shows that other Second Evolution discs do have the logos.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/kwk-jaga ... 0_6147.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Sorry, the camera had a hard time focusing on the shiny discs)

Also the back has some subtle differences such as larger "snap-in" holes.

All in all, I'm pretty confused. It looks like a fake, but as far as I know there are no UMD burners out there. Has anyone else seen something like this?

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Re: Fake PSP game?

Post by eagle5953 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:04 am

The UMD disk itself looks proper and has the Playstation logo.

The white casing thing is the only difference? They sell replacements for those, if your game's casing breaks or gets all scratched up. That would explain the lack of logos and slightly different molding.

A Button

Post by A Button » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:21 am

That's possible. I thought of that, too, but why wouldn't the replacement cases have the right logos? Come to think of it, why wouldn't a given pirated game include the logos? They can't be that hard to print. Discs themselves are one of the easier things to duplicate, though.

Hmm, it's a real head-scratcher!

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:58 am

The logos and that are copyrighted, so third party companies cannot use them all willy-nilly like.

Shhhh! Do ya want to get sued?