Top Ten Video Game Consoles of All Time...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Lucretius
Top Ten Video Game Consoles of All Time...

Post by Lucretius » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:27 pm

No I haven't decided what they are.

Instead, I wan't you all to do it. Here's how:
1. First pick your ten favortite gameing systems. You may chose less then ten, but more than 5. Ten is preferred though.
2. Put them in order from best to not-best.
3. Type a list out of this.
4. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! Write down why you chose the system and what makes it better or worse compared to the others. Think hard, and write a vert lengthy discription.
5. Check for spelling/grammercennar, peppers....
6. Post here.

I want you guys to really think about what you right. Don't spam, don't post half-assed ideas, don't post off-topic, don't even post anything but your list.

But most importantly, DO NOT START ARGUING WITH SOMEONE ABOUT WHY THEY CHOSE A CERTAIN SYSTEM! I don't care if it's an Intellivision If we have arguments breaking out I will have this thread closed and deleted so fast, you'll see it when you close your eyes!

In a seperate thread I created called "Top Ten Video Game Consoles Disscussion Thread", you may disscuss with each other about your lists posted here. In there, I don't care what you do. The mods and admins might, so keep it clean. Remember we all have our different tastes and preferences.

This is a time for you guys to really think about what you look for in a video game system; a time to share these views. Take the time to do this well. Don't rush it and put out crap. This isn't a 10-second job. This is a 10-20 minut job. Put out some thought provoking qualities you look for in a console.

And go...
Last edited by Lucretius on Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Luke

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:49 pm

1. Sony Playstation (the first 3d system that really caught on)
2. Atari VCS/2600 (can't argue with a system that spanned 3 decades)
3. Sega Genesis (first 16 bit gfx)
4. Super Nintendo (great gfx, ok games)
5. Nintendo Entertainment System (loads of fun, but loads of cruddy games)
6. Apple Macintosh (Glider, Prince of Persia, Sim City...)
7. Sega Dreamcast (128 bit gfx in 99.)

Come back to theis post later for the last 3. (can't think of anyu more right now lol)

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:01 pm

i like this idea so i will give it a go. lemme think.....this is gonna be though

1.i would probably have to say n64, it was my first real game console and i have obviously had it the longest. its games, while not always great, had overal good quality and were usually very creative and fun to play. it is a bit fragile for a portable but its a damn good game console.
2.sega genisis, it had some great games and graphics, sega really did it right with the genisis, it gave the big N a run for its money in the 16 bit era.
3.probably have to say the NES, the vcr style one wasnt the greatest peice of hardware, but with a libarary of over 500 games by the end of its lifespan who can argue that it was the kind of the 8 bit era, damn fun to play too

well theres my top 3! i will do the rest later, its hard to really think about which i like best! i really do like all of the systems out there except the ps2 and psone because i just dislike sony in general lol, i dont hate them just dont play em

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:24 pm

1.Sega DreamCast-Can play anything SNES and below with the right emualtor (EVEN MAME) and it has Shenmue!
2.Xbox-can beat a system that has a shooter that changed videogames forever
3.NES-i give NES Kudos for revamping the videogame industry
4.SMS-It had 3d graphics on some games even though it was 8bit and it took two types of Media
5.SNES-i put this at the bottom becouse MY SYSTEM IS BROKEN AND I HOLD IT AGAINST THE REST

*o*

Post by *o* » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:28 pm

1.N64- i grew up with this system and one of my favourite games ever is zelda.

2.PS2- this was the second system i owned it will always be great.......kingdom hearts!

3. PC- for half life and half life 2

4.SNES- I liked the games

5.Gamecube- i am getting one for the new zelda and i like the games :D
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:47 pm

1.playstation: great games and tons of variety and the best RPGs i've ever played and the kinda crude 3D graphics add to fun in ways i don't understand

2.dreamcast: awsome games, good graphics, internet

3.N64: has some great games, 4 players built in, but didn't get #1 because of the lack of variety (not many RPGs)

4.PS2: tons of games and lots of them are good, lots of variety

5.gamecube: many good games but i don't own one so i never had a chance to play it enough for it to be my favorite

6.xbox: halo and some other realy fun games

7.SNES: awsome games inclueding the best bomberman game ever. also has good graphics for a 16 bit system

8.genesis: "SEEEEEEEEGAAAAAAAA!!!" at the begining of sonic games and the 1st system i own; had some good games

9.NES: duck hunt and mario rock. to bad it had lots of dumb games hiding the good ones

10:PONG: gotta love bouncing a square over and over again

they're all great so it was hard to order them and just because something's near the bottom of the list doesn't mean it's not good

MM007

Post by MM007 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:41 pm

(Not necessarily in order)

Vectrex: Vector graphics with 3-D add on in 1982, one of the first cartrigde systems that had a built in ROM as well(that I am aware of)

Atari 2600: Pitfall, need I say more?

NES: The first true engine for Shigeru Miyamoto's genius, savior of the post crash era, and MegaMan 1-6

Atari 7800: The TRUE pioneer of reverse compatability

SNES: Great games

Genesis: Great games, Super fast!

Playstation: Great library of games, including Twisted Metal and FFVII

Game Boy: Bundled with Tetris

Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and Jet Grind Radio

PlayStation 2: GTA Vice City, and reverse compatible with PlayStation
Warranty-Voiding fun!

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:55 pm

MM007 wrote:Game Boy: Bundled with Tetris
Mine came with 6 Golden Coins, a legendary game of Godliness.

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:35 pm

1.SNES It was a great sytem with lots of awesome games the graphics were very good for a 16 bit sytem and it has super metroid Yes i love super metroid.
2.NES It has a lot of games even if some are crap a lot of them are still fun today 8 bit = fun.
3.Gamecube The games are fun and extremely underrated. Everyone at my school is a Xbox nerd they bought it just to play halo when they could buy a gamecube for less and have lots of fun games.
5.GBA great games lots of them.
6.Nintendo DS it has an innovative gaming experience and should have more fun games by the end of the year.
7.N64 it had games such as zelda orcarina of time and majoras mask and the graphics were advanced for its time.
8.Atari 2600 Pong, Asteroids its got the goods.
9.Sega Genisis it had 16 bit graphics and some good games.
10.Sega Dreamcast I like it has some good games but i haven't played it enough for it to be my favorite.

Those are my top 10.

Super Mulletman

Post by Super Mulletman » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:04 am

1. SNES
You all know this has the best games (come on, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, I could on for a while), and it's a fairly easy system to emulate.
2. PS1
Again, some of the best games ever (FF7, Metal Gear Solid, Wild Arms, Megaman Legends especially), though emualtion is not exactly easy.
3. NES
The original Nintendo. Great games, and historic landmark.
4. Atari (and its many counterparts)
For there time, good games, and again, historic landmark.
5. PS2
Don't own it, but great games, and overall, great system
6. N64
Good, original games (Wave Race, Super Mario 64, Goemon (definitely up there with my favorite games))

*Notice: I never owned or really got into playing any of the Segas, so I wouldn't know.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:24 am

1.NES it had some of the most simple but still addicting games (tetris)
2.SNES it is a classic system with awesome games and a huge library of games
3.NDS with its touch screen i feel that it will change gaming for the better
4.PSone was a very fun system with plenty of games for everyone
5.N64 it was the first console with 4 controller ports built in which leads to awesome 4 player games of course
6.GC i love this system and i love its games i just thinks its an overall awesome peice of machinery
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:30 am

Here's my list:

1: NES Could play better games than the 2600 and had a huge variety to choose from. It lifted videogames from the crash and brought them back while setting all the standards for genres to come.

2: PS2 Probably a strange choice but think about it - it has EVERY kind of game genre imaginable for it and lots to choose from. Plus it's going for the long haul of 6 years before an update, what a tough system!

3: Sega Genesis The first "grown up" console that catered to older gamers and knocked Nintendo off its throne for a while. Not being an RPG fan I had no problem with the selection of games. It was also the first console to have fairly accurate arcade ports.

4: N64 Not really the failure it was believed to be back in the day (heck it did a whole lot better than the Gamecube) and it had GOLDENEYE on it! And Perfect Dark! Sure it was the "Rare FPS TV adapter" of a game system, but so what?

5: Atari 2600 More famous than many people realize, and the console that started it all!

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:44 am

1. SNES
2. SNES
3. SNES
4. SNES
5. SNES

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:45 am

No ben, the Oddessy started it all :P.

Anywho,

1. Sega Genesis - I grew up playing NHL 94, I've played most of the games via emulation, and I own 4 of them + a Sega CD.

2. SNES - Best RPG system ever, and brought a new meaning to awesome remake (Super Mario All Stars).

3. NES - Brought us back from the video game crash and gave us timeless characters.

4. Nintendo Revolution - Yeah, I know its not out yet, but its just so promising. You have a media fridge, Microsofts first Media Centre PC, then this, which is true to gaming and gives a new meaning to backwards compatibiltiy.

5. Playstation 2 - The first console I truely owned (I borrowed my Uncles PS1 for a few years then gave it back). And it had the best first year line up of any console ever in my opinion.

6. Dreamcast - The best quality:crap ratio ever, and I don't see how it never made it if, if i'm not mistaken, has sold more then the gamecube has.

7. Xbox - The most moddable console so far, and revolutionized console shooters. Also will be remembered as one of the financial disasters of the century (M$ has lost over $1 billion I heard).

8. Gamecube - Had to put it in here. I own it, so it goes in. Loving the gameboy player for it, and if I'm not mistaken there hasn't been an adapter like this so mainstream.

9. GP32 - Just for the fact it's shown portable emulation is quite possible.

10. Atari 2600 - Never played one, never had one, but hey, would this forum exist without it?
PS360Wii Fanboy FTW!

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:47 am

Ok then...

1. Sega Genesis - This truly ownz! It has one of the best RPG's ever (Shining Force) and has the 32X (which is underrated), which has great games like Doom and Kunckles Chaotix!

2. Playstation 2 - DVD Playback, Most comfortable controllers, great button layout, great exclusive titles...

3. SNES - Some of the best games and graphics of the 16-bit era! It also had games like Super Mario World and Zelda LTTP.

4. PSone - While graphics might of fell second place it takes my upper-hand with it's controllers and great games like the Smackdown and Tony Hawks series.

5. N64 - Better than PSone in terms of graphics, and had some games like Zelda OOT, Super Mario 64 and WWF No Mercy making it one of the best around.

6. Sega Master System - The console I grew up with, it was better than the nes, while games might of been as good I give it the upper-hand because I grew up with it and it had many great games like Sonic The Hedgehog, Alex Kidd & Hang-On.

7. NES - Falls second place, because of it's crippling controllers, but had some of the best games ever like Mario & Excitebike!

8. NeoGeo Pocket - One of the best Handheld Systems ever, in fact, it's much better than Gameboy Color, it has some of the greatest NeoGeo titles ever.

9. Game Gear - A great handheld system, the screen sucked, but it's power was much better than Game Boy, the battery life wasn't all that good, but the novelty to play SMS games on it then well...

10. Arcade Machine - Wow! So many great games!
Last edited by Unidentified Assilant on Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)