Top Ten Video Game Consoles of All Time...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

cennar

Post by cennar » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:05 pm

1)atari- 2600 cus yeah man the 2600
2)GBo- it was vary inovative, plenty of games 4 battrys not 6 like gamegear.
3)nes- freaking love the nes man. its got games apon games plenty of choice when you feel like playing any thing the nes has it.
4)genesis- (and alittle the snes) finaly in that era system makers where experimenting with hardware, 16 bit graphics meets an over active imagination and a stuffed expantion port.
5)n64- keept the cart slot the hole way through the CD craze, holding true that the cart was way better with its modest colection of time honerd games.
6)psone- brought disks to the for front of console production making media players out of home consoles, as well starting a trend of having huge companys produce games the same greddy fasion that has kept the music and telivsion industry alive providing people with shamless marketing ploys and less than creative entertainment.
7)dreamcast- protective copying flaws and windows compatable tecnolagy gave life to this console after it dyed, with vary unintresing games and flat productions.
8)PSP portable media and few good games
9)NDS still dont know how this one will go but I like it, I know it wont sell vary well because of the lach of games, but the games on it are pritty good but looks like lach of development on it making a lot of nice games that still fall flat.
10)x-box, well first home PC to be sold as a home console.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:15 pm

Cennar that is some of the worst spelling I've seen for awhile. Though I agree with you on all of it.

sniper_spike

Post by sniper_spike » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Skyone wrote:Cennar that is some of the worst spelling I've seen for awhile. Though I agree with you on all of it.
He must be high... :P
Dr. Gregory House wrote:Good lord, are you having a bowel movement or a baby?

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:26 pm

I think you're missing the words: "again... for the 19th time this week"

Darth Fett
Location:On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...

Post by Darth Fett » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:29 pm

Hmm,top ten....i'll probobly change my mind about the order later,but here they are! :)
1 Ps2
2 Snes
3 Genesis
4 Gamecube
5 Nes
6 X-box
7 N64
8 GBA Sp
9 Arcade
10 PC
And of course,the honorable mentions*start that silly music they use for AFVs Honor Mentions*
1 Dreamcast
2 Intellivision
3 X-box 360
4 Atari 2600
:wink:
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

psychotic_mechanic

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:35 pm

Disclaimer: I just bought my first SNES a couple months ago and my Gamecube is still somewhere between Canada and Japan.

1. NES- Hey, I was raised by an NES and Robby. Long nights of Dragon Warrior ("Why is it getting light outside?") and games that made you want to explore like SMB and Zelda.

2. Xbox- This is the system that gets the most play time in my house right now. The edge in hardware speed and internal memory (no memory cards to lose or shuffle through) are the edge it needs over the next system

3. PS2- The only one of my current non-portable systems purchased new, it plays a giant library of not only PS2 games, but all the PS1 favorites I'm still holding on to

4. Sega genesis/CD- Back in the day I was sure Sega was going to own the gaming industry with their great idea of adding on to it's current hardware instead of releasing new consoles. (I do apologize to everyone I told not to buy a Playatation, but it was kind of a fanboy period for me) There were some great games like Lunar, Phantasy Star and almost anything with the hedgehog in it.

5. N64- The system I took with me to Iraq in 2003. With no moving parts in the console itself it played almost non-stop for the 7 months I was deployed with the Marines. It was still working when I came home, but I traded it in for store credit at EB because I'm sure it was living on borrowed time. Ocarania, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Gauntlet and even Penny Racers helped pass the time.
American gamer stationed in Japan, PM with your import gaming desires.

Now with dancing boobies as my avatar!

Houdini

Post by Houdini » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:58 pm

1: N64, too many good memories of goldeneye and parties with super smash bros

2: SNES: I just got one this year but have been a huge fan of it forever. Everytime I went to my friends house I would play this. Donkey Kong, mario kart how can you beat it? (besides n64)

3. Gamecube- call me a nintendo fan, but I really fell as it had some really huge hits and will (zelda baby zelda!!!) mariokart, metroid prime 1 and 2 you name it

4. X-box all though I sold mine I still never get bored of halo2

5. PS2- Just got mine this year but am always having a blast at X men legends II, GTA, and Metal Gear solid 2, 3

6: DS: you guys pointed me in the right direction here, as i am completely obsessed with mariokart, and mario 64 DS Thanks a lot!!!

PS sorry for the "6" but thats all I could think of :oops:

This is magic bunny copy and paste him into signiture to help gain world domination!

Conn

Post by Conn » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:14 pm

10) SEGA Saturn
The Saturn had a few gems, but had hardware problems (Memory card slot) and a crappy controller outside Japan. And it was a good fighting game console, which I'm not a big fan of. Still, it had NiGHTS, Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and uh.. not much else.

9) NES
NES only got this far down because I'm mainly a casual gamer. I like to save my game, and I don't like EXTREME difficulty, which most NES games had. It did spawn tons of great franchises, though, and it had DUCK HUNT. Awexome games include Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 (2 SUCKS.), Zelda, Rygar, Bionic Commando, Contra, Super C, Castlevania 1 and 3, Excitebike, Ghosts N Goblins, Megaman 1-3, Metroid, Punch-Out!!, Metroid, Metal Gear and Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2.

8) SEGA Genesis
I'll admit it, I'm not a huge Genesis fan. Sure, it had nice controller, but it lacked buttons. And sure it wa the first GOOD 16-bit title (Turbo-graphx anyone?), but it was mainly beat-'em-ups or Hack-and-slashers. Of course, it did have it's advantages. The SEGA CD and 32X gave a few good titles, and the sports games ran better on it. Great games for it were Comix Zone, Cool Spot, Chuck Rock 2, Sonic 1-3 + Knuckles, Knuckles Chaotix, Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Earthworm Jim 2, MUSHA, Mercs, Midnight Resistance, Ecco 1 and 2, TMNT 4 and Mortal Kombat.

7) Xbox
I like the Xbox. Really I do. But it doesn't have much variety (mainly FPSes) and few exclusive titles! The exclusives it DOES have are awesome, and most multiplatform gamed are better on the Xbox too. Some great games are Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue II, Halo 1 and 2, Half-Life 2, Ninja Gaiden Black, Top Spin and Psychonauts.

6) N64
The N64 really only got this high for revolutions. Analog control and rumble, plus the ability to connect GBC titles to the N64. Of course, it had horrible third-party support, but it still had some great games. Namely, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Mario 64, Extreme-G, Mario Party 2, Resident Evil 2 and Super Smash Brothers.

5) Playstation
Sure, the Playstation didn't do much, other than standardize the CD. Sony even took ideas from Nintendo (rumble and analog). But, they were implemented a LOT better. Plus, with support from Square and Namco, it had quite a few awesome titles. Klonoa, Final Fantasy 7-9, Xenosaga, Xenogears, Tekken 1-3, Megaman Legends 1-2 are what I can name off the top of my head >_>.

4) Nintendo Gamecube
The Gamecube would've scored higher, but lately it's been a dud. Up until.. mid 04, it's been a great system. However.. last year, the only good titles were RE4, Killer 7 and Fire Emblem. Still, it's a good system if you just feel like having some fun. Notable games are Super Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil 4, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Pikmin 2, Zelda: The Wind Waker, Super Smash Brothers: Melee and Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life.

3) SEGA Dreamcast
The Dreamcast got knocked back for a few reasons, most of which have to do with hardware (oversized memory cards, large, hard to hold controllers easier to scratch disks..) and quite a few crap games. However, there were also tons of great games for it. Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure (which, I may add, has amazing pre-rendered scenes. I mean, holy crap.), Power Stone/2, Soul Calibur, Chu Chu Rocket!, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and Samba de Amigo are notable games.

2) PS2
Yeah, the PS2 gets second, even if I'm usually playing my Gamecube, and I HATE it's controller. Reason? It's been around 6 years now, and therefore has a huge library, with variety. Sure, I'm not a sports game fan, or much of a FPS fan, but you have to applaud Sony- they captured the North American and European market (FPSes, Sports games) and the Japanese market (RPGs) in one console. Notable games include Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy, We Love Katamari, Grand Theft Auto 3, San Andreas, Vice City, Xenosaga II, Kingdom Hearts, SOCOM 1-3.

1) Super Nintendo
Who saw this coming? Tons of great games, but a few standouts are Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Final Fantasy 4-6, Chrono Trigger, Street Fighter II, Earthbound, Super Bomberman, NBA Jam and Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Keep in mind I didn't list handhelds.

daleighan

Post by daleighan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:21 am

1) Neo Geo AES
2) NES
3) PSP
4) Gamegear
5) Dreamcast
6) N64
7) Xbox 360
8) SNES
9) Gamecube
10) PSone

How has nobody said AES yet?

Conn

Post by Conn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:51 am

Not a fighting game fan.

cennar

Post by cennar » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:31 am

cennar wrote:nes- freaking love the nes man. its got games apon games plenty of choice when you feel like playing any thing the nes has it.
yeah i was freaking gone