Soldering charged battery cells.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

0lenny0
Soldering charged battery cells.

Post by 0lenny0 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:24 am

Is there any danger soldering charged battery cells?
If it matters they are around 3.8V each,i don't know how much amps.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Re: Soldering charged battery cells.

Post by Haunted360 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:30 am

You should not, but since it is low voltage and possibly a small mAh, you can attach a heat sink to the terminal and then solder to it.

If it is actually a battery, and not a cell then you would want to spot weld on metal plates. If not, then solder but do not heat the battery up by holding the soldering iron there for more than 4 seconds!

0lenny0

Post by 0lenny0 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:45 am

Haunted360 wrote:You should not, but since it is low voltage and possibly a small mAh, you can attach a heat sink to the terminal and then solder to it.

If it is actually a battery, and not a cell then you would want to spot weld on metal plates. If not, then solder but do not heat the battery up by holding the soldering iron there for more than 4 seconds!
I'm not sure but i think they are Li-ion cells.
They came out of a laptop battery.
They have metal plates attached on the contacts.
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9782/hpim0524.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9776/hpim0523o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry for the quality,taking my good camera for repair soon.

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:13 am

Ah yea, thats ok to solder to. Just don't hold it there for more than 4 seconds. The heat damages the cells and can explode (or maybe that was only for polymer...)

0lenny0

Post by 0lenny0 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:43 am

If it did explode then how big would it be?
Would it be any worse then some small burn marks?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:35 am

If you're just using a low-wattage soldering iron you don't have to worry about the batteries exploding unless you're trying to make them explode deliberately. Just work quickly and tack the wire on and you don't have to worry about it. Nickel-based batteries are more forgiving than Lithiums. (And if they're lithium, you need the supporting circuitry to safely use them. Improperly charge lithium batteries is far more dangerous than soldering to them.)

0lenny0

Post by 0lenny0 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:24 am

bicostp wrote:If you're just using a low-wattage soldering iron you don't have to worry about the batteries exploding unless you're trying to make them explode deliberately. Just work quickly and tack the wire on and you don't have to worry about it. Nickel-based batteries are more forgiving than Lithiums. (And if they're lithium, you need the supporting circuitry to safely use them. Improperly charge lithium batteries is far more dangerous than soldering to them.)
Thanks for the help.
Going to use my 30watt soldering iron.
The circuit is already ready.

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Nono, it would not explode like KAAAAAAAAAAAA BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

I should have said 'Risk of explosion' :lol:

Rarely will they smoke, but in most cases they will do nothing. Afterwards it will not charge though as the cells are damaged...

Ni-Cd battery's are practically harmless and so are Alkaline and are as not of a high risk as Polymers. Those ones are freaky because they discharge fast.

I think in this video, he is adding a fair amount of power to it (over charging with high voltage). But, some cases have it that when they are shorted they can do this.

Hailrazer made a topic on this and he knows more about it... I don't know the link but Bicostp can help you...

budnespid

Post by budnespid » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:38 am

Tin the tabs quickly. Tin the wires. Heat the tabs and the wire at the same time to make a good joint. Just be sure to do it quick and you'll be fine.

0lenny0

Post by 0lenny0 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks for all the info.
I felt the plates(carefully) to see how hot they were and they actually take a good amount of time to get hot,i soldered it perfect and everything is working fine.
Once again thank you.