Buying a laserdisc player

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Reubensupernerd
Buying a laserdisc player

Post by Reubensupernerd » Sun May 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Hey guys, I'm contemplating the purchase of a laserdisc player (more for nostalgia than for perceived benefits over dvd/blu-ray). I would like to purchase a decent one for under $100 (I recognize that these are expensive devices). I don't mind having to flip the disc, but I do want a machine capable of delivering on the format's promise (able to do some of the special features e.g. s-video out, AC3 decoding (or at least output in a way that my amplifier understands), and optical out). I know that pioneer built some of the best of these devices, I know that the Elite series of machines is the best, but out of my price range. Would you recommend the CLD-D501? I've found one at around $60.
Thanks,
Reuben

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Re: Buying a laserdisc player

Post by Triton » Mon May 23, 2011 10:26 pm

D501 is a pretty midrange player at best. if you want quality try and find any non combo (ld/dvd is NOT best of both worlds) player from the mid to late 90s. the CLD-D704 was the best non elite model pioneer sold in the US and i found mine on craigslist for 70$ with ~30 movies. avoid any machines from the 80s, and if you do have to settle for a less than ideal player use S-video because your TVs comb filter is probably better than the one in the player :lol:

models to look for, USDM only, there were a few JDM players that were VERY good, and the price reflects that, list is in order based on quality, top = best:

Elite CLD-99 - 3d comb filter, best player sold stateside, has AC3 (rf)
Elite CLD-97 - basically the same as above but with 2d comb filter, no AC3 but can be modded for it.
CLD-95 - step below the 97 but still a decent performer
Theta and Macintosh both offered clones of the CLD-97.
Panasonic LX-900/Denon MD-3500 - almost as good as above, 3 line comb filter
Elite CLD-79 - a lot like the CLD-99 but with 3-line comb filter
CLD-D704 - basically the non elite version of the CLD-79, best non elite LD player stateside. mitsubishi cloned it
CLD-D703/D702 - previous models to the D704, nearly as good in most respects, no AC3
LD-S2 - uncommon player, VERY heavy and on par with the D704/79 in terms of video, was special order only. is single side only but is one of the most well made LD players out there

This list covers most of the above average players out there, according to This website and a number of years of my own research on the topic. the D504 model was the budget auto-flip machine in '95 and ranks barely a mention in the average list on that website, so assume that the 501 you mentioned would be at best an average player. If you want to talk about Laserdisc more feel free to PM or IM me :D welcome to the club, its a lot of fun

EDIT: one thing i forgot to mention, yes laserdisc players supported AC3/DTS but the AC3 is in frequency modulated form on the disc and requires a demodulator/AC3 decoder box to make use of it, these typically run in the 100$ range, but you might be able to find them cheaper on ebay or craigslist, i'd have to do some checking to be 100% sure on the price range, DTS when available only requires an S/PDIF compliant DTS decoder IIRC

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Tue May 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks Triton!
That was extremely informative, right now I'm looking at a d704 on ebay. It doesn't seem to come with its remote though.
Is it easy to get a replacement? By the way, how big is your LD collection?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue May 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Reubensupernerd wrote:Thanks Triton!
That was extremely informative, right now I'm looking at a d704 on ebay. It doesn't seem to come with its remote though.
Is it easy to get a replacement? By the way, how big is your LD collection?
right now my LD collection is around 35 movies, including a couple box sets. i was working on a deal with a guy on CL for ~100 more movies and an elite CLD-52 but that seems to have fallen through :( the cost of the remote depends on how full featured you want it to be, many universal remotes will work with LD players but if you want the backlit buttons, jog dial etc its going to cost 30-50$ on ebay. if i were you i would check craigslist using searchtempest.com and search within a few hundred miles of your zip code. LD players on ebay tend to cost more than what i typically see them for on CL, for example the D704 commonly sells for 150-300$ on ebay if it has the remote/manual/box :shock: the guy i bought mine from was originally asking 100$ with 31 movies and i ended up paying 70 after some haggling 8)