Internet Speed in Australia and my House

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360
Internet Speed in Australia and my House

Post by Haunted360 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:46 am

I have my internet on a DSL service connected to Telstra Bigpond.

Telstra OWNS the entire network in Australia. Cables, fiber, switches, DSLAMS etc just so you know...

Now my exchange (crosses over to fiber to Telstra in the building) is approx 3.6km away from my home.

The other rule is, that Telstra is only allowed BY LAW, to have 20 phone lines connected off of 1 copper phone line.

Currently, I am on ADSL+2 on a 200 GB phone bundled plan (I have an ADSL+2 filter in position) for $130 a month.

My max speed I get during the day (12 pm) is 450 KB/s. At night (7 pm) I get 280 KB/s.

Is this because everyone is using the 'phone cable'. Calling, on the internet up the street etc to slow it down?

It should not do that with a max of 20 users per line right?

Why am I getting 450 KB/s max when I should be getting 600 KB/s according to this image?

Probably because:
- The copper is probably very very old,
- The exchange is also very far away.

My street DOES have fiber optic cable in it but it finishes 900 meters from my house.

Australia has also put forward something called the National Broadband Network, which it to allow almost every home in Australia FTTH (Fiber to the Home). It will take them 7 years I reckon, to finally get to where I am even though it is so close to my house...

Thanks.