Remote Control Cars/trucks etc!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199
Remote Control Cars/trucks etc!

Post by Triton » Thu May 12, 2011 5:06 pm

gasoline, electric, nitro, anything goes! I know there have got to be people on this forum that are interested in them, that delightful mix of electronics and electromechanical parts, and using a remote to control things! my recent project has been getting a lot of RC cars that my dad bought from a friend of his running. they are as follows
*Team Losi XXXT (novak dually speed controller and a peak racing stratos motor) its FAST, we clocked it at 16+mph(hotwheels radar gun), with a full batt and pavement it'd probably do over 20

*Traxxas 4-tec (streak speed controller)
*traxxas bandit(streak speed controller, 20 turn traxxas stinger motor)
*traxxas rustler (stock, sold it to a friend for 100$ lol)
and an early 80s Tamiya superchamp that doesnt run but is worth as much as the other cars for collector value :lol: The blue one in the following pics is the super champ
and the red one is my baby, a 1987 Kyosho Ultima that i got at a garage sale for 15$ :mrgreen: along with the manual, sticker sheets, remote and box/manual for the remote and a few other little bits and bobs. going to be doing a gradual resto-mod of it to bring it up on par with modern cars just for kicks once i get some money coming in, (brushless motor and ESC, modern wheels/tires/suspension etc)

so if you do anything with RC cars/trucks anything post em up!

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Re: Remote Control Cars/trucks etc!

Post by marshallh » Thu May 12, 2011 6:58 pm

unfortunately I can't find any pics of my old rustler... sold it years ago.

Bought it about 8 years ago

Installed a electronic speed control, which was a pretty big deal then. Stock it came with a mechanical servo and set of contacts wired to power resistors! yikes

It would do about 24mph

edit: found another pic

Triton

Post by Triton » Thu May 12, 2011 7:04 pm

marshallh wrote:Stock it came with a mechanical servo and set of contacts wired to power resistors! yikes
my kyosho came with a mechanical speed controller, its literally a printed circuit board with a servo attached to an arm that pushes a pair of wipers back and forth, first time i plugged in the battery it started smoking :lol: needless to say thats getting replaced

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Fri May 13, 2011 8:52 pm

I REALLY want to get back into RC.

I started out with those cheap Radio Shack cars, and probably some other toys but then I got a Tamiya Super Hornet Kit. That was a great kit. Lot's of fun to put together and drive. I didn't realize it at the time, but the thing was old. It had an analogue speed controller! As in, a servo would move a little dial and THAT would control how fast the motor goes.

After that, I got a Team Losi XXX-T like Triton. I bashed that up pretty bad so a lot of the parts have been replaced, but the final blow was running through a puddle and frying the electronics...

Also, the spur gear, the big gear that goes against the little motor gear, is really chewed up. This is the second spur gear that I've chewed up so I think it might have something to do with how the gears are meeting...

Although, best RC ever? Crazy Taxi. It's got a girl in the back seat that has a spring on her butt so when you turn, she moves around in her seat. Also, the car turns on two wheels.
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

Triton

Post by Triton » Fri May 13, 2011 10:00 pm

assuming my friend or his friend decide against buying them all of the cars i mentioned (minus my kyosho) are going to be for sale. none of them are mint but they all run and drive :) and i have a lot of plans for this ultima, but most of them are going to have to wait till after i get a job. upgraded motor/ESC wheels tires shocks and so on 8)

NES

Post by NES » Thu May 19, 2011 6:07 pm

Last edited by NES on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:26 am

I had 3 nitro / gas powered ones.

2 Touring and 1 off road. I did not like the dirt ones as much and it kept breaking (clutch spring). So I sold it...

One was a belt system instead of the newer differential system (It was a Colt brand).

I then bought a Kyosho (Japan FTW!) fw-05t. Best one.

I bought a new motor for that, and could not get it warm enough to keep idling or break it in. So I dropped it off at a repair shop. A few weeks later, the shop was closed down and they stole my car. I managed to track the bastard down and threaten him with the police, so he gave me $100. I took it, but the car was worth well over $400...

They are very cool and very fun these hobby cars. Except the nitro ones are high maintenance.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat May 21, 2011 4:18 am

I've only had toy quality RC cars and trucks. I've been considering moving up to hobby grade, but I don't think I would be able to use them as much as I would like. A really interesting looking one is the HPI Baja, uses a two stroke gasoline engine. Looks pretty sweet, but a little too expensive and big to store. Finding a place to run it would probably be an issue, too.

Triton

Post by Triton » Sat May 21, 2011 10:55 am

vskid wrote:I've only had toy quality RC cars and trucks. I've been considering moving up to hobby grade, but I don't think I would be able to use them as much as I would like. A really interesting looking one is the HPI Baja, uses a two stroke gasoline engine. Looks pretty sweet, but a little too expensive and big to store. Finding a place to run it would probably be an issue, too.
fun fact, the guy who designed my Kyosho Ultima also designed the HPI baja :D
The baja is more modern, and 1/8 scale instead of 1/10 but you can definitely see the family heritage

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat May 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Triton wrote:The baja is more modern, and 1/8 scale instead of 1/10 but you can definitely see the family heritage
It is actually 1/5 scale, not 1/8.

Triton

Post by Triton » Sat May 21, 2011 7:08 pm

vskid wrote:
Triton wrote:The baja is more modern, and 1/8 scale instead of 1/10 but you can definitely see the family heritage
It is actually 1/5 scale, not 1/8.
even bigger than i thought! looks like a heck of a car.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Nice. I like that one by HPI...

Tamiya also makes some good ones too...

If I had to get an off road one, I would get this
http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/d ... _id=100417

And for my touring, this
http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/d ... _id=104520

I used to have orange rim drift tyres on my Colt car. And it was awesome...

I used to have a video of it, but I deleted it which is a shame now...