Mysterious Megaman II GB Cart

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king
Mysterious Megaman II GB Cart

Post by HotDog-Cart » Wed May 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Hey guys,

I've had this cartridge ever since around 1997. I bought it from a blockbuster, I think.

Its a really weird Megaman II Gameboy Cartridge. I've checked online hopelessly for some information.

Im really confused.

Info about cartridge:
1)On it, it has chinese writing. All the official gameboy and capcom seals are apparent.
2)It says "For China Only" on the label. The serial is: DMG-203 CHN, and theres some chinese writing on the label as well.
Maybe other numbers.
3)The back of the cartridge says "Made in China. Pat. Pend.
4) The board has a nintendo chip that says: DMG MBC1-B Nintendo P
5) The board has writing that says: DMG-BEAN-M14 (Located right under a glop top)
6) On the back it says 1996 "Mani".

Now, even weirder. Upon booting up the game, its in english. Says copyright capcopm 1992. No chinese. And no 1996 copyright ingame.

Pics: (Click the album link)
http://img28.imageshack.us/g/dscf0269p.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Mysterious Megaman II GB Cart

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed May 11, 2011 3:29 pm

Strange...possibly a high quality Chinese bootleg?
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Wed May 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Im not sure. As it has nintendo chip everything. This was like bough wayyyyy back in the day.

The reason why this even more weird is, in china; videogames are "illegal". So the gameboy didn't get released there; AFAIK. So why make a game for china only, when 1) theres no gameboy region coding, 2) Theres no gameboy in china due to laws?

Also, it had a nintendo security bit in it. I wouldn't expect a chinese clone manufacturer to use that.

And in china, wouldnt they have called it Rockman like Japan does? Not Megaman?

An review on gamefaqs, mentions this chinese cartridge briefly, but does not investigate.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/563279- ... view-18632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yet, this uses a gloptop too. Most legit games, don`t. ahha

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu May 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Bump. I'm really stumped on this.

Marshallh, can you be of any help? ;)

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Judging by the glob-topped chip and the misspelling, I'd have to say its a pirate cart. You also said it says "For China Only", which reminds me of this: http://www.nesworld.com/n64piracy.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Its a pirate cart that says "For Hong Kong Use Only".

Although I could be very wrong.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sat May 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Pirate, I've never ever seen a ninty product with gloptops

Because of the shell and real looking MBC1 they might've gutted cheaper carts and put this PCB in them

Chinese Megaman

Post by Chinese Megaman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Hello,
I searched google for "DMG-203CHN" and I found these forums, so I registered here just so I could add my two cents on the matter (hoping you are still interested).

I also have the same (well, very similar) cartridge shown in your photos, HotDog-Cart. However, my copy also comes with box and manual. I highly doubt that we're talking about piracy here.

There's a hint about the cart being legitimate: its cover is featured in Capcom's 20R, the giant artbook dedicated to Rockman in its 20th anniversary:

http://rockmanpm.wikispaces.com/R20+Roc ... lete+Works" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(there exists an american version of this book published by Udon studios, however I have the Japanese one and the cover in question is on page 238)

I'll post some photos of my own as soon as I upload them on Imageshack.

*edit* Never mind, I thought to write a bit more extensively on the subject. You can read about it here: http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2011/ ... .html#more" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;