The future of gaming?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Reaper P7
PSN Username:Haha... Yea Right
360 GamerTag:Subscription? Nah.
Steam ID:Refer to email to add me.
The future of gaming?

Post by Reaper P7 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:32 pm

I believe that this service, or one like it, is likely the future of gaming.
Look at the trend that consoles have, and the successes of services like Netflix.
Truthfully, this is simply a cheaper and pretty stellar concept that seems to be working...

http://www.onlive.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bentendo64

Re: The future of gaming?

Post by bentendo64 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:32 pm

I really don't like the idea of how this looks much, but it does look like this could possibly what gaming is one day. :(
http://bentendo64.co.cc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Mmm, extra performance for free. The essence of overclocking."

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun May 08, 2011 11:35 pm

people are always going to want to physically own the games that they own. as a rental idea this is fine and dandy but if you're going to be paying 60 bucks to own a game and their servers go down (ala PSN) you're boned.

Bush

Post by Bush » Mon May 09, 2011 1:19 am

Triton wrote:people are always going to want to physically own the games that they own. as a rental idea this is fine and dandy but if you're going to be paying 60 bucks to own a game and their servers go down (ala PSN) you're boned.
I agree. Bleh. Plus, this cuts out used games, and selling the games you own.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Mon May 09, 2011 1:23 am

Triton wrote:people are always going to want to physically own the games that they own. as a rental idea this is fine and dandy but if you're going to be paying 60 bucks to own a game and their servers go down (ala PSN) you're boned.
All these things, plus internet service companies are starting to cap bandwith. I'm not sure how much the streaming would use up, but something like a 60-75 hour RPG could easily cripple your monthly limit.

That and there is not much else to do when your internet goes out, a perfect time to start working through the backlog of your collection.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon May 09, 2011 9:25 am

Steam has some of the same issues, except you can still play without internet. And they have sweet sales.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Mon May 09, 2011 9:33 am

I will never accept this nor do I ever see this becoming the pinnacle of gaming.
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

GeckoLink

Post by GeckoLink » Mon May 09, 2011 1:45 pm

tired it out found it amazing how I could play graphic intensive games on my crappy 2007 macbook

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Mon May 09, 2011 1:53 pm

dont get me wrong, the technology is impressive, its just not going to replace actual physical media or downloaded content. any kind of subscription service will eventually shut down and when ALL of your games are hosted on an external server? thats a pretty big gamble to take

Reaper P7
PSN Username:Haha... Yea Right
360 GamerTag:Subscription? Nah.
Steam ID:Refer to email to add me.

Post by Reaper P7 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:02 am

Nothing will ever kill the PC, and I like getting the hard copy and the even occasional collector's edition bundles. But I honestly wouldn't mind playing Skyrim on my net-book... The backbone of the internet is being burdened. (I cannot not deny that). But I offer this, services like Gamefly have shipping departments closer to areas where most of their customers are... see where I'm getting at?

Mr. Bastey

Post by Mr. Bastey » Mon May 16, 2011 5:34 pm

I've seen prices for some things on the service, not too bad for what I'd want to play. I agree with the whole concept of physically owning your games, especially since I'm a collector and I don't want my games held somewhere else :P I could see looking into this though for crappy netbook purposes or something. Will it replace consoles and physical media? I doubt it.