Sharp Nintendo Television(Video)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat
Re: Sharp Nintendo Television(Video)

Post by Snow_Cat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:13 pm

I'll see what materials I have in inventory, but I think that you probabally have the materials on hand.

Do you have A scrap keyboard, DVD player or PC laying about? With a bit of luck you might have something that will line up.

hellfire

Post by hellfire » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:25 pm

i do have a bunch of spare keyboards.. and some older tv's and pc's.. you got me thinking now lol.. i'll go check some stuff.
http://mylittlegamer.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Damn, I so want one of those. Man with that rust on the buttons there, I would have thought the 72pin connector would be shot. Guess I was wrong after reading the thread further.

Yeah, Even if it doesn't have the original parts, the way it looks now, it looks pretty fugly because of the rust, and the cut holes.

hellfire

Post by hellfire » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 pm

yea, it does look kinda fugly.. had my doubts when putting it in my car to take home, but i just couldn't leave her sitting there ya know? the crazy part was when i put a cart in and it fired right up. kinda messed with me.
now that i've seen some good pics of these things.. i'm really wanting to get the original doors and possibly the power button.. the volume/channel buttons could be any kind of replacement.. if i have the doors on you won't see them.
i dunno.. i'm still kinda back and forth about it.. i know i'll end up putting allot of time and money in it if i keep it.. but the longer it's in my possession, the more i'm liking it.. you just don't see these things.. and it has a damn good picture.
i'm at least gonna open it up to clean it real good.. i'll take some pics when i do.. i'm sure some of you are interested to see the inside. if anyone has any info on cleaning something like this, please let me know.
oh and another thing...... talking my wife into letting me keep it. lol
http://mylittlegamer.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:58 pm

Aluminum oxide (copper/steel pot polish) and clear varnish for the rust and finish.

Rubbing alcahol and epoxy for mold and rot.

Gold plating for the contacts (if you want to be fancy after all of that)

Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:13 am

I've checked what materials that I have, and believe that I can make a snap in replacement for the missing volume and channel buttons as that appears to be a the typical flat panel with strait lines, however the curved power button, the curved missing vanity covers, and missing feet are beyond my ability to do accurately.

I can try, but the colour and curve will be off, and won't bear the "GAME" embossing.

Also, please be weary of the HV components in that set.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Nice find, I hope the restore goes well. As for convincing your wife to let you keep it, try getting her in on the process of restoration and help her understand that this isn't a junky old 19" TV, but a nostalgic restoration project of a piece of rare hardware. Failing that, try popping Tetris in and letting her play it (a surprising number of arcade collectors say this helped them keep machines).

I love the marketing fail that lead to these things being so rare, the only indication these had an internal much sought-after NES was a bullet point on the features list of the box. I remember trying convince my mom that it had a Nintendo inside when we saw some at a Sears Outlet store, but she didn't believe me since a feature like that is usually plastered across all the sides in large lettering and graphics, not a minor bullet point amongst "remote control" and "high-fidelity sound" in the features list.

hellfire

Post by hellfire » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:40 pm

well guys... i had someone offer me some trade and i took it.. used that stuff and some more to trade for a 3ds.
my wife had been giving me hell about it too.. so i folded real quick when i got the offer.
thanks for the heads up about cleaning it Snow_Cat.. i run into old game stuff all the time.. so im sure ill need to use the info sooner or later.

Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:40 pm

A heads up about the aluminum oxide.

Do not attempt to reflow the solder if it changes to a solid copper-gold colour after treatment. It will become super brittle and require an uncomfortably high temprature. Just clean it off and resolder

The other joints that did not change to that colour did not seem to be problematic.