Anyone here skateboard?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

stuntpenguin007
Anyone here skateboard?

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Does anyone here skateboard? I'm trying to get into it. I can ollie if I'm not moving and land an occasional shove it (without the pop part ;)). I'm using an 8" by 31" element deck with independent trucks right now (I got it used a long time ago), but I feel like it's kind of big. I'm thinking about getting a new skateboard. Any suggestions? I'm looking for something suitable for street tricks, I don't go to the ramps very often.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

dragonhead

Re: Anyone here skateboard?

Post by dragonhead » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:07 pm

i break out one of the longboards every once in a while. im not very good yet, and the roads here are terrifying.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 am

I longboard. I have a custom made board.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:09 pm

lemme see if i can dig up some pics of my boards i made

EDIT: nope, no pics. ill have to dig em out and take pics later.

kibble

Post by kibble » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:54 pm

I remember when I was about 15/16 or so wanting to get into skating as one of my cousins was pretty good at it. I was starting to get ok at it when one day the board shot out from under me and I landed backwards on my wrists. I think I sprained my wrists and they got severely swollen and I couldn't use my hands for about a week, I couldn't move them, move my fingers, grip or anything. Eventually the swelling and pain went away, but I decided skating wasn't for me. I use my hands too much to work on my projects. :lol:

(not to discourage any of you)
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:38 pm

"projects" ;)

N64pmaster

Post by N64pmaster » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:51 am

pm me certain question u want answered and will greatly. iam a sponsored skater so i know what iam talkin about. look me up on blondejohns surf and skate.com iam on the team riders sectin dylan strachan:)

avert1

Post by avert1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:17 am

Been (street) skating for about 3 years. I pretty much use 8.0 elements though. Try just getting a smaller size (maybe a 7.87?), or an Alien workshop. Make sure your wheels are actually street, like bones stf wheels. It doesn't make that big of a difference, they'll just last a lot longer.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:51 am

Used to when I was a kid, just street boarding, no fancy BS. I recently found one of my old boards and skated to the elementary school to pick up my daughter. She was surprised and pissed because I didn't bring her one.
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Used to about a year ago but found it very challenging and dangerous. Had an element board too with spitfire ball-bearings. I sold it and now I ride BMX street / vert.

To ollie it took a while. I mean, to 'figure it out' took some time...

The trick is to SLIDE your front foot (depending on goofy or regular style) up the board and PRESSING or SHIFTING your weight to the front to level the board out.

Just watch YouTube videos...

To get higher, you eventually build muscle I guess but I find it easier to ollie while moving for some reason. Though, landing it while rolling is a bit harder. haha.

I prefer BMX bikes as if you hit a tiny stick, your not going to go flying off. Also more easier to get around and do tricks...

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63

Post by com64 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:43 pm

I mainly use my skateboard for transportation... might get a longboard at some point.

I can only do a manual. I can't ollie, lol. I don't have anyone to teach me. To be honest, I don't really try.
Finally: the surface!

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 am

I used to skateboard all the time. I could ollie really high, do 180's, heelflips, pop shuv its, boardslides, 50-50's, etc. I can still do most of that, but never really skate anymore. Now I unicycle all the time. It's so epic.

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63

Post by com64 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:15 pm

unicycler17 wrote:I used to skateboard all the time. I could ollie really high, do 180's, heelflips, pop shuv its, boardslides, 50-50's, etc. I can still do most of that, but never really skate anymore. Now I unicycle all the time. It's so epic.
Unicycling sounds like lots of fun... probably more fun than when I ride my bike around (even uphill sometimes) without using the handlebars.
Finally: the surface!

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:20 am

My younger brother skateboards, he's pretty good at it. I tried it once. Didn't end so well.

I think I'll stick to my bike.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:26 am

Unicycling and riding a bike with no handlebars are almost incomparable. They're just so different. Its hard to explain, but if you ever try unicycling, you'll understand.

It only took me a few days to learn to ride a unicycle. Getting good takes months/years, but after about a week I could ride it around to places. The issue with unicycling is that There isn't a chain or gears, and the pedals are directlly connected to the wheel. So you cant drift. If you stop pedaling, you stop moving, which makes it tiring to go long distances, but also makes forward/backward balancing possible.