Give it up for your greatest video game accomplishments

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Bobzilla
Give it up for your greatest video game accomplishments

Post by Bobzilla » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:32 pm

So let's all pat ourselves on the back and compile a list of our greatest achievements. I'm old so most of mine are a little dated. Here are a few that I remember.

- Missile Command for the Atari 2600 - Flipped it twice when I was 9. I musta been a prodigy when it came to that game. It wasn't even my Atari. I only had a stupid TI home computer. no joke.. =(

- Mike Tyson's Punchout for NES - Not that impressive to beat Tyson but my first time was by decision. I can still fondly remember the animation of Tyson's jaw dropping to this day. On a side note, 15 years after beating Tyson, I picked up the controller and tried it again. Like riding a bike. TKO. Still got it.

- Dragon Warrior for NES - Again not really impressive but when I got to the end of a rental version of Dragon Warrior and given the choice to fight the last baddie or join him... I joined him.. He basically just laughed and some text came across the screen saying you joined him. lame.. but I had to turn the game in.

- Tecmo Superbowl for the NES - Had a 147 to 0 game once. I'd play Detroit and just hand the ball to Barry Sanders against the Phoenix Cardinals. This game featured a 700 yd game from Barry, 17 TDs, 14 safeties, and unfortunately one first down made by Phoenix... grrrr

- Twisted Metal for PS - Beating the game with Sweet Tooth which meant you basically had beat the game without continues. I set out to do this because I wanted to see what Dark Tooth would say about "wanting his little clown boy back" when I was the the little clown boy. Guess what? He says the same thing. Bleh.. However, the ending for Sweet Tooth has him turning into a butterfly while keeping his same face. Hilarious.

- Beating these games all left an incredible sense of accomplishment - Bionic Commando, Contra, Rush'n Attack, Cobra Triangle, Megaman, Battletoads, Super Ghouls and Ghosts (SNES)

- But my ultimate accomplishment was something that didn't even yield a result but only frustration. Coincidentally it happened around April Fools Day several years ago. Electronic Gaming Montly had an absolutely cruel reputation of putting out false cheats or accomplishments to open up some super secret thing that, of course, die-hards just had to do. Well they burned me once on Goldeneye. I mean it was just brutal. I vaguely remember it being something like beating the Aztec board in under 9 minutes in the Edit mode where you could ramp up the AI. I seem to remember it being all settings set to 7. If you're familiar with Goldeneye then you realize the difficulty in just beating the Aztec board under normal conditions. Then you throw on this impossible time limit. But the reward was promised to be additional James Bond characters for multiplayer. You'd have uber bragging rights with your buddies if you'd be using Roger Moore, Sean Connery, Timothy Dalton, or George Lazenby. Anyway, I sat myself down in front of my 13" tv and started practicing over and over and over again. It took about 3 days just to beat it in under the prescribed difficulty settings but I was 12 minutes over the time limit. I kept working it and 3 days later I did it. I screamed and my brother, who knew what I had been trying to do, came flying up the stairs to my room. We both waited for the message showing the unlocking of the new cheat but it never came. I checked my settings and wondered if I had set something wrong. Couldn't see anything so I just thought I'd try again. I proceeded to beat it 3 more times over the next several hours with the same result.. no cheat opened. I started to think that it must have been a typo in EGM. The joke was on me in the next issue when they divulged their amazingly cruel hoax. I was so pissed that I vowed never to buy their magazine again.. To this day I haven't.
http://portablog64.blogspot.com/

No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

kibble

Re: Give it up for your greatest video game accomplishments

Post by kibble » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:30 am

SMB3 - I GOT THAT ISH ON VIDEO, SON! Except I don't know if the video got damaged and I don't have a VCR to check. :( The story behind it: At about age 10, my cousin and I had been trying relentlessly to beat the game earlier in the day, after many unsuccessful attempts, he had to go home and I stayed playing, so I turned on the VCR to record so I could show him how far I got when he wasn't there. I got all the way to the end and defeated Bowser on my second attempt. Neither of us had ever gotten that far in the game. It was a glorious moment indeed!

SMB2 - Couldn't believe that the whole thing had been a dream! I didn't actually beat SMB2 until after 3.

SNES Star Fox - Always wanted this game (and an SNES) when I was a kid but never got them. :-( Later, when the emulator scene was in effect and I had a decent computer to run them, I got me a "backup" of said game and with a controller attached to my PC, I proceeded to take on the challenge that had been denied to me previously in life. The ability to do save states certainly helped. :P

SM64 - What can I say? An awesome feeling of accomplishment after defeating Bowser in the 3rd dimension!

Half Life, PC - Couldn't figure out what that freaky white thing was at the end, but I defeated it. I had to play this game in secrecy as my parents didn't approve of violent games at the time so I only played it when no one was home or asleep. I remember one time my mom caught me playing Half Life Death Match against a friend and she immediately came up to me hugging me saying how I shouldn't be playing violent games so I don't turn into a violent person or something like that. Now my mom doesn't give a crap, my little brother's play things like CoD and Gears of war and stuff... And we all turned out ok.

Doom - Never got to play Doom when it first came out, but later on, a friend let me borrow one of those CD's that came with like 200 games on one CD or something ridiculous like that. Most of them sucked, but there was some on there like Doom that were ok. I again played this one in secrecy until I beat it. I don't know, there was something about beating a game that you knew your parents wouldn't approve of, kinda like looking at boobies when you knew you "shouldn't".

Star Fox 64 - Talk about button-masher! Just recently beat this one, actually. I think it's paved the way to arthritis in my wrists. :P

There's more, like God of War I and II. Now I gotta beat III, but I don't have a PS3. Bioshock - PC, the twist at the end was like WTF? And more.. but I'm typing this at work and I'm gonna have to go soon, so I'll have to cut it short. :mrgreen:
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

Kumimono
PSN Username:Kumimono
360 GamerTag:Kumimono
Steam ID:Jarska333

Post by Kumimono » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:37 am

I played the NES Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers through carrying Dale on my shoulders.

That's about it. :D

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:07 pm

I cheered up a friend by ending WWII campaign CIV2 by launching the spaceship after having renamed everythign after my right hand (a long dead running gag). The resulting cut scene got a good solid laugh, however I don't remember the exact wording however it started someting like "Your advisors are proud to announce the greatest achievement of mankind... The A.S.S. Handler has launched torwards the heavens..." and ended with "Handler, your pepole have fulfilled the dream of countless generations. Your name will live forever in the annals of CIVILIZATION."

I guess the other one would have to be taking the warthog all the way through Halo1 (except for the space ship, where the gravity lift wouldn't take it). Many Elite ambushes were interrupted by chaingun fire, good times.

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Nothing spectacular..
I finished brickbreaker 3d, all 500 levels.
And my fruit ninja arcade score is about 1200
in halo reach I have jumped off the spire and survived 3 times
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

cennar

Post by cennar » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:08 pm

playing Vicecity trying to beat my buddys times, I stayed up having friends rub my eyes to keep me locked on the screen. when that said friend was up to rub the sweat from my face he then dug his fingers in to my eyes. I bet the game, then latter had sex with his girl friend. she was great. also some other time I stole the ass's star in mario party. I didn't even have to, thus why I don't play the game, he leaped over the room and started pounding at my face open hand judo like punches (one would guess). I just laughed my bleeding face off. I was still having sex with his girl friend.

Modding NFS3 I made invisible cars in HP. which was sweet, but if you where a cop and fliped on the sirines you showed up. so what I ended up doing was releasing it on NFScars.com or what ever it was (site no longer exists, but look up user name Doemoe) the car got out and I did manage to use it in online play a few times (back then it was more of a novelty than any thing)

oh yeah that same guy hit me in the face once when I suggested that I should put on some chemical brothers... never figured out I was porking his girl. seriously the guy was so funny to be friends with, always doing crap like that.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:24 pm

humakabula1 wrote:Nothing spectacular..
Hahaha kids these days...

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:34 pm

cennar wrote:Modding NFS3 I made invisible cars in HP. which was sweet, but if you where a cop and fliped on the sirines you showed up. so what I ended up doing was releasing it on NFScars.com or what ever it was (site no longer exists, but look up user name Doemoe) the car got out and I did manage to use it in online play a few times (back then it was more of a novelty than any thing)
man i remember those days! NFScars was awesome :lol:

I remember back in the day when gamespy arcade was still relevant, i used to play mechwarrior 3 on dialup :lol: the best match i ever had was a free for all match between a bunch of members from two different clans, almost everybody had heavy mechs with custom loadouts, i had a medium mech , a 55 ton bushwacker. with a custom loadout i designed (medium and large pulse lasers, lb10x auttocannon and 2 lrm5s, i still remember! :lol: ) and i managed to hold my own! the guys i was playing with were pretty impressed that i got as many kills as i did while being totally outgunned the whole time :mrgreen:

one of my other favorite accomplishment is being able to fly the airplane in GTA:III which is HARD

cennar

Post by cennar » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:58 am

oh how about flying the Rino tank in vice city. (turning the turet backwards and flooring the gas)

YES pulse lazers! medium any thing with pluse lasers in swarms are the way to go.

Startrek Armada was sweet too, just the first one though (sound effects, unlike starcraft; that turn you into a humorist drone, instead of a homicidal drone)

Yeah I think in need for speed 3 you could dial out cars carfully that went plus mach speeds... try it out, the Alpha node on redrock ridge (real road between Canada and Montana some wheres)

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Skyone wrote:
humakabula1 wrote:Nothing spectacular..
Hahaha kids these days...
ujelly? xD

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:07 am

beat mass effect 2 four times, over 100 hours

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:28 am

marshallh wrote:beat mass effect 2 four times, over 100 hours
this.
you liked it?
if you played it on pc you can edit the config files and change your character race