ThinkGeek Hackerspace borked box o parts!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199
ThinkGeek Hackerspace borked box o parts!

Post by Triton » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:16 pm

http://www.thinkgeek.com/blog/2011/03/t ... hings.html
ThinkGeek wrote:We have a problem. And it's growing at a rate proportional to our return pile.

We can't, in good conscience, resell damaged electronics. And we can't donate them to charity--the saddest kid in the world is one with a handheld video game that won't turn on. Garbage, then? Not good for the environment.

Luckily for us, there's an entire class of scavengers out there ready to pick the bones of our helicopters, keyboards, and interactive t-shirts: hackers, makers, and crafty techy types.

Whether it's in a school's technology lab, or a FIRST Robotics team, or your neighborhood hackerspace, we're betting somebody out there would enjoy getting a box of broken stuff from us every couple of months--and then use the parts and pieces for good, not evil.

While we can't promise anything right now, we're very seriously considering setting up such a subscription and we're ready to gather contact information from those who are interested. Sign up below and we'll see where this goes!

A few notes and caveats:

1. By filling out the form, you vow to make something awesome and you won't be a jerk and sell our borked things on eBay. (We'll be watching.)
2. We hope you'll send us photos and updates on projects--we want to see our liddle things all growed up!
3. Our warehouse is in Columbus, Ohio, and groups in that area that can pick up boxes are ideal, but we'll work out some shipping options for others. (It would help enormously if you can pick up the tab.) International hackers, we'll see, but it could be very expensive to ship to you.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/blog/2011/03/t ... hings.html
I've taken the liberty of signing up on behalf of the benheck.com forums! i signed up for it to be billed and shipped to my UPS account and i will share anything i get with the community basically at cost, so you would pay what it costs me to ship it to you. I encourage anybody else in other (read: beyond reasonable shipping range of iowa, USA) regions to read through the links and sign up to help our community! Spread the love, and the broken stuff! :lol:

You can check out the form here and if you decide to sign up, post in this thread! sign up with the group name being "benheck.com forums" and website of course "forums.benheck.com"

questions? comments? suggestions? lets hear em!

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Re: ThinkGeek Hackerspace borked box o parts!

Post by Snow_Cat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:31 pm

^ - -^ Thank you. This sounds amazing.

iHackedit

Post by iHackedit » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:01 am

What... About.... Aussies?
I'm scared!

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:43 am

Uhh I have a problem

It's asking for info of the group leader. And I also don't have a UPS account :(

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:35 am

We should turn this into a TGIMBOEJ box.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:52 pm

I live about 3 and a half hours from them. Depending on shipping costs, I could just drive there and get them. If anyone would want me to.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:23 pm

cowsgoquack101 wrote:I live about 3 and a half hours from them. Depending on shipping costs, I could just drive there and get them. If anyone would want me to.
I would if you wouldn't mind.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Triton

Post by Triton » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:43 pm

go ahead and sign up, you can put me as the group leader and group name as seen above. i'm terrible at organizing things :lol: do you think we should move this thread to f42?

King Kolton9

Post by King Kolton9 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Triton wrote:go ahead and sign up, you can put me as the group leader and group name as seen above. i'm terrible at organizing things :lol: do you think we should move this thread to f42?
whats ur email?
Ever heard the saying "Half full, or half empty?"
Well, If you measure the cup, and put a line in the middle, and fill to the line, it's half full, but If you fill it to the top, and drink to the line it's half empty!

kingpin901

Post by kingpin901 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:54 pm

I'd be interested if the box can go around. I live in Canada so shipping would be amazingly high. Anybody willing to get the stuff and ship it over afterwards?
Qc, Canadian Buyer :)
Buyer & Seller Feedback Received:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 10#p410310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hifeno
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Hifeno » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:00 pm

I would love to get in on this.
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

King Kolton9

Post by King Kolton9 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Triton wrote:go ahead and sign up, you can put me as the group leader and group name as seen above. i'm terrible at organizing things :lol: do you think we should move this thread to f42?
opps... the stuff may ship to me...
Well, If you measure the cup, and put a line in the middle, and fill to the line, it's half full, but If you fill it to the top, and drink to the line it's half empty!

Triton

Post by Triton » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:13 pm

unlikely. anybody else who signs up put me as the group leader, my email is triton_barton[deletethisbox]@[nofrigginspamplease]hotmail.com. and hayden i would go ahead and apply and note that you would be able to pick up instead of them shipping. im gonna move this to f42 so we can get more input
Last edited by bicostp on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Obfuscated emial address because spammers love searching for mailto: links

King Kolton9

Post by King Kolton9 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:34 pm

Triton wrote:unlikely. anybody else who signs up put me as the group leader, my email is triton_barton[deletethisbox]@[nofrigginspamplease]hotmail.com. and hayden i would go ahead and apply and note that you would be able to pick up instead of them shipping. im gonna move this to f42 so we can get more input
well i told them to ship it to me.

Triton

Post by Triton » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:02 pm

King Kolton9 wrote:
Triton wrote:unlikely. anybody else who signs up put me as the group leader, my email is triton_barton[deletethisbox]@[nofrigginspamplease]hotmail.com. and hayden i would go ahead and apply and note that you would be able to pick up instead of them shipping. im gonna move this to f42 so we can get more input
well i told them to ship it to me.
i'm guessing you didnt give them a UPS account to bill for shipping so your request would be lowest priority on their list