Know anything about fabrics? Help!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Super Cameraman
Re: Know anything about fabrics? Help!

Post by Super Cameraman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:34 pm

Haha I ordered their sample swatches a couple weeks ago. Spoonflower could work but they print on to fabric digitally, they don't knit. I haven't received the sample pack yet though so we'll have to see how that is when I get it.
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:27 pm

In response to your question on a knitting machine, Joann fabric's has a knitting machine or two on their on-line store. Thing to keep in mind is that you'll have to learn how to use the pattern system with those. Keeping that in mind you have to be sure that you get one able to do the gauge you want. An FYI, that's number of stitches per inch, including across and how many rows deep.

You'd be able to make the fabric for the sweater quickly, but as mentioned the gauge will determine if it looks right. If the gauge is too big you get a pixeled look and worse yet people will be able to clearly see the knitting, which could ruin the look you're going for. Higher gauge count will need needles that are small enough for what you want... So I'd say no bigger then US2.

Good luck!

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Haha, sparkfist, I got so excited, I thought you meant that they have an online service and they mail you what you design...

I don't really want to spend the money on something I'm going to do once. It would be easier for me to find someone who has the machine and easier use theirs or pay them to make it for me.

But here's a breakthrough!

I figured out that what I'm looking for is "picture knitting" or "intarsia knitting." My mom knits so I called her up just now to ask her about it. Turns out, she was playing mah-jongg and ALL THE LADIES KNIT. Amazing. At least one knows how to picture knit. This is incredible. I may have my vest after all!!!!

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:53 pm

... Or you could cut a template with a craft knife and screen print (or spray) it onto cheap fabric.

DK

Post by DK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Have you checked over at http://www.therpf.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? They're experts t at this kind of thing.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:47 pm

Wow thanks for the link DK, i'll definitely be checking that out and posting there.