What to do, what to do.... ?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Macro.Management
What to do, what to do.... ?

Post by Macro.Management » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:00 pm

Okay, I have a Gamecube, PS2, Portable DVD player, Laptop (in short terms, many things I don't need lying around) I'm new. But I've been on the stickies, getting educated for like a couple weeks, but I guess true knowledge doesn't come until I get experience but thats why I am here now :) So Eventually I most definitely want to make a Dreamcast Portable and a Gamecube Portable, but I don't have a dreamcast atm. So I would like suggestions on easy cheaper things to make. I do want to take the time to have it come out nice though. And I figure I should be good on battery and screens (as far as buying) since I already have them so just any ideas would be great ^_^

Thank you

Life of Brian

Re: What to do, what to do.... ?

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:41 pm

Just start on the system you want to the most - that way you're motivated. Sounds like you should start tinkering with the GameCube. What's the worst that could happen? GC's are pretty cheap now.

There are a lot of people who propose you work on the "easier" systems first, but if you are reading the stickies and learning what you can, why wait? Try getting it to run off of batteries. Then, hook it up to a small LCD screen. Once you've done that, start planning your portable!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

cennar

Post by cennar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:22 pm

yeah if you can't power it now, it's not out of the question, not yet. the Cube is a good start and it looks like a fun one. I wouldn't do a cube because I really wouldn't play any of it's games ever. (except double dash, what cheap fun..) Even if you don't make good power supplies try and ask people for help. I'm sure if you hit up the trading posts people still trade limited parts like a screen for a PSU they can prove works. (hell I just gave Triton a screen to mess with because I was sick of it's size) Even if you can't tell what they did you can ask for it then see for your self where things are going. I remember one of my N64s was built with sample parts some one here told me how to get. it was strait forward; I asked Texas instruments for a sample of a regulator that can make 3.3v and what do you know, they sent the thing for free. I made two and the second one though it died was pretty sweet, and I learned enough to try and make a Dreamcast portable.

MrAfterFx
Portablizer
Steam ID:MrAfterFx

Post by MrAfterFx » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 am

Life of Brian wrote: There are a lot of people who propose you work on the "easier" systems first, but if you are reading the stickies and learning what you can, why wait? Try getting it to run off of batteries. Then, hook it up to a small LCD screen. Once you've done that, start planning your portable!
I agree. M first was a Ps2 Portable and I had fun building it. The sky is the limits! Do your best and have fun, with that said I can help you wih any questions you may have so feel free to PM me ;).