Fun to drive cars

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight
Fun to drive cars

Post by jdmlight » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:43 am

Triton wrote:personally i'm in the "old car = better car" camp lol. There are some awesome new cars coming out but the period of time from 1996 to about 2009 was a total good car drought pretty much.
See that's what I was wondering. Because I'm having a hard time finding any recentish cars that are fun to drive. I do like the look of the Mazdaspeed 3, because this just sounds like a blast:
Engine type: 2.3L DOHC 16-valve DISI turbocharged 4-cylinder with VVT
Horsepower, SAE net: 263 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque, SAE net: 280 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm
Available transmission: Close-ratio 6-speed manual
Because as much as I wouldn't mind having an older car, I feel like I don't know enough about fixing cars to realistically own one and not put too much money into it.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Re: Fun to drive cars

Post by Triton » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:26 am

honestly the best way to avoid having to put a lot of money into a car is knowing how to work on it yourself, the money you save doing the work yourself more than makes up for the slightly more frequent maintenance at first. a properly maintained older car is easily as reliable as a new one, you gotta get it to stage 0 first.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:13 pm

jdmlight wrote:See that's what I was wondering. Because I'm having a hard time finding any recentish cars that are fun to drive. I do like the look of the Mazdaspeed 3, because this just sounds like a blast:
Engine type: 2.3L DOHC 16-valve DISI turbocharged 4-cylinder with VVT
Horsepower, SAE net: 263 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque, SAE net: 280 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm
Available transmission: Close-ratio 6-speed manual
Ah, the MazdaSpeed 3. Looks like a fun little car. Remember, you'll have to learn to drive stick first :P (I would find a friend with a beater that has a stick to learn on).

Triton

Post by Triton » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:01 pm

i'd be happy to show you how to drive a stick at MGC if need be :D i'd driven a stick maybe 3 or 4 times in my life before i bought my VW and it only took me a few days to be able to drive it adequately but it was a week or two before i was really comfortable with it. its not hard it just takes a little practice lol

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Driving our old truck is interesting to say the least. The clutch isn't that heavy, but there's no grey area between engaged and disengaged unless you have a few hundred pounds of stuff in the back. :lol:

Don't know why, but I like it when people put modern engines and transmissions into classics. For example, someone should put the 2011 SHO EcoBoost engine into a Fox Body. Or maybe an LS3 powered Chevette. 5.7L Hemi in a Dart? Unlike the car bodies, engines and transmissions have gotten better over time. :lol:

Triton

Post by Triton » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:54 pm

bicostp wrote:Driving our old truck is interesting to say the least. The clutch isn't that heavy, but there's no grey area between engaged and disengaged unless you have a few hundred pounds of stuff in the back. :lol:

Don't know why, but I like it when people put modern engines and transmissions into classics. For example, someone should put the 2011 SHO EcoBoost engine into a Fox Body. Or maybe an LS3 powered Chevette. 5.7L Hemi in a Dart? Unlike the car bodies, engines and transmissions have gotten better over time. :lol:
i'm a big fan of engine swaps in general, especially more modern engines in classic cars, or just crazy engine swaps (caddy northstar v8 in a fiero? lexus 1uzfe v8 in a mkII supra? 2jzgte in a volvo? YES PLZ) in general :lol: my current plan with dragonhead is to do an engine swap like you are talking about for my oldsmobile. currently it has a 350ci chevy smallblock v8 in it with a TH350 transmission and when it was running it got about 10mpg or less. we are going to swap the L35 4.3 liter vortec v6 out of a 92-95 blazer/jimmy/s10 with a 4L60E transmission. fun fact, if you remove 2 cylinders from a 350 v8 you get the L35 v6 :lol: it produces 195-200hp and 260ftlbs of torque stock, will be a little bit higher in my olds (better exhaust and intake flow for the most part) and with overdrive it should net me about 100% better fuel economy. at least 18-22mpg highway. we have a lot of other minor upgrades to the car to make it safer and just better to drive in general (suspension improvements, power brakes, slightly modernized and improved interior, rust repair, add seatbelts etc)

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Gee, I wonder where you're going to find a Jimmy donor... :P

Speaking of seatbelts, our D200 must be the luxury model. It gives you the option to use lap OR shoulder belts!

I've been scouting out pick-and-pull places around this way for parts for that truck and my car (want to upgrade my poverty-edition model with plastics that aren't broken). Lots of fun to be had there. 8) Almost pulled the trigger on a $200 SL2 about 20 miles away, but unfortunately it was completely the wrong color inside and out. :( Definitely would have picked it up if it was the same as mine though. Waah. e: Got a lead on a local parts place that has both a same-color-as-mine fancypants model and a base model, both with the front bumper assemblies! All that's left is a couple cans of Krylon Fusion and a couple packs of OEM-imitation push pins from Lowes.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:19 pm

A 2004-2005 Cadillac CTS-V is what you really need. My dad bought one back in '04 (as briefly seen in Possumus Woman) and still has it to this day. And yes, it is as badass as the following video makes it out to be.

These can be found on occasion for south of 20K. 400HP and handling that puts the best Euro sedans to shame. What more could you ask for? Be warned though. Tires aren't cheap. :D

cennar

Post by cennar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:06 pm

not a big fan of Cadillac for many a reasons (Hybrid escalade... GM really doesn't need a future any more putting an electric motor in essentially a driving stereo with minivan seating.) though they do seem to have a more varied line up. Holden's sound like a way crazier offspring of Cadillac. in allot of there designs they start with caddys and squeeze em down to those aussie aluminum bodies. Gm isn't my favoret planner but they do own the exchange process of an STS turning into a commodore and then getting rebuilt over here badged into a Pontiac then being stuck with a Canadian engine. (yeah Sarina)

dido on that manual driving. took me 20 minutes. I bought the rabbit out in the middle of the island. I decided to drive it through the woods to Victoria. 10 minute drive took ten minutes longer to get to town once I started to get the friction point. then I drove to my friends picked up two people (license then said I couldn't) we drove another 20 minutes staled once flailed into a random parking space making one of my friends jump through his skin.

First time driving standard and first time getting used to no power steering. I now own a Buick, which is nice in allot of ways. I'm still grabbing at the seat next to me to find third and forth gears though. I suspect the amount we saved owning a diesel will also add to the issue of any future cars we buy. Also I would put off owning any thing for a wile till I can get some thing better for mountain roads. Our rabbit the Shadow and even the nova I owned where all excellent over twisting fun roads. regardless of who makes it, LSD in the back end, Diesel under the hood. no more than enough room for my self and Chelsea. (the Buick is way to big, makes me feel like a little kid who ran off with Grandmas car keys)

cennar

Post by cennar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:14 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtdMiBdX ... ure=fvwrel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

needed to add this because of all those car vids drifting

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:14 pm

Got this a LONG time ago for $2000. Toyota AE86. Its THE drifting car.
Initial D, baby!

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:26 am

HotDog-Cart wrote:Got this a LONG time ago for $2000. Toyota AE86. Its THE drifting car.
Initial D, baby!

-pictures snipped-
Alright fine, since there seem to be no recent fun cars, I'll change the original post to say "If you were buying a car, what would be your choice for something high on the fun-to-drive scale?".
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:16 pm

2002 Saturn wagon with the drivetrain from a Cobalt SS
Dodge Aries K wagon (or 1st/2nd gen Caravan) with the turbo 2.2L 5 speed drivetrain from the 80s Shelby Daytona (or maybe SRT-4)
1985 Buick Regal / Monte Carlo with an LS engine
1987 Fiero with either the 3400 out of an early 2000s N-body or supercharged 3.8
3.5L EcoBoost Fox Body
(Noticing a pattern? :lol:)
2012 Focus, preferably ST
2003-2007 Accord V6, esp. later models with stability control

Triton

Post by Triton » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:18 pm

bicostp wrote:2002 Saturn wagon with the drivetrain from a Cobalt SS
Dodge Aries K wagon (or 1st/2nd gen Caravan) with the turbo 2.2L 5 speed drivetrain from the 80s Shelby Daytona (or maybe SRT-4)
1985 Buick Regal / Monte Carlo with an LS engine
1987 Fiero with either the 3400 out of an early 2000s N-body or supercharged 3.8
3.5L EcoBoost Fox Body
(Noticing a pattern? :lol:)
2012 Focus, preferably ST
2003-2007 Accord V6, esp. later models with stability control
get a stock turbo caravan, or a 92-95s astro/safari, or 96+ supercharge toyota previa if you are going to get a van, previas were all wheel drive mid engined and supercharged, thats pretty sporty for a van lol.

late 80s to mid 90 volvos (740s 940s and 960s are RWD 850s are FWD) all had turbocharged and 5 speed options, 850t5 and T5R are beasts, 222hp front wheel drive and pretty sporty looking. turbo 740s have about 165hp stock and are pretty fun to drive, i prefer the wagons of course :lol:

volkswagens are great cars too, my cabriolet is a blast to drive and not too terribly expensive to work on either, i spent 90$ shipped and got all 4 motor mounts, one of my tie rods and both ball joints! VWs are like legos when it comes to motor swaps, you can have a 79 rabbit and put the motor out of a 94 jetta into it with very little difficulty, head swaps on the various 4cyl cars are easy. you can even put the cylinder head off of an audi v8 on some of the VW 4 cylinders with only minor modifications! later model cars also had the VR6 engine which is 6 cylinders and 160+hp and the newer ones even have a 6 speed transmission

speaking of audis, they are badass too! any quattros from ~85 to the early 90s will have a 5 cylinder engine and manual transmissions are just as common as automatics. audi coupe GTs are a front wheel drive toned down version of the original (ur) quattro, the audi 100s and 200s came turbocharged and the 200 also had a 20valve turbo model that put out over 220hp, and can be modified easily to produce double that.

lexus was another brand i considered buying in the past, the SC300 SC400 and LS400 specifically, the lower end cars are just upbranded camrys basically :lol: the sc300 has the same engine as the mkIV supras (the supra has the 2jzgte twin turbo, the lexus has the non turbo 2jzge) and the SC and LS 400s have the venerable 1uzfe 32 valve 4 liter v8 engine pushing ~260hp and nearly 300 ftlbs of torque, but its still capable of 18-24MPG mixed driving if you maintain them and with a light foot :wink: other toyotas from the 80s and 90s are great options as well like the supra, celica, ae86 and earlier RWD corollas, cressida (basically a sedan supra) and a number of others including the hilux/pickup

as for american cars i'm preferential to mid 90s and earlier, the new ones (2009+) are getting better every year but i buy used cars, not new ones :lol: so i'd have to recommend anything G- body (1981-88 chevy/buick/olds/pontiac including the grand national, monte carlo, and el camino) or mid to late 90s caprice/roadmaster/custom cruisers with the lt1 v8. the late 90s supercharged buicks are pretty sweet too, and there are lots of other cool 70s-80s american cars (amc products among others) that can still be decent daily drivers today and more modern "captive imports" which are really rebadges of mitsubishi/toyota/suzuki etc. like the sprint turbo which is basically a first gen suzuki swift. or turbo/v6 lebarons from the 90s too!

threedog

Post by threedog » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:31 pm

Miatas are fun to drive. Not fun to get in and out of. Not fun to get -caught- in unless you like being made fun of by your friends, but they handle and turn like go-karts, get great gas mileage, they're pretty dang cheap, and surprisingly easy to work on. And contrary to what you might think, V8 swaps work very well in these cars!