Hemp

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

cennar
Hemp

Post by cennar » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:10 am

well well well... Hemp. It's got allot going on. besides being related to Marijuana, besides being over looked. What's it good for, by the way why would I want to talk about it on a modding forum?

well *see the three wells above* Hemp fibers bio degradable easy to grow and produce can be made into plastics, paper, rope, clothing (some non hippy looking stuff my girl friend owns as it turns out is made almost entirely out of hemp, and doesn't look like a burlap sack, fact was we didn't even notice till I saw the tag one day) hemp harts make great food, it's seeds can be turned into oils (famous for it's longevity as a lamp oil) and Bio diesel. (really good stuff too, one tank would take you around the USA, and if you wanted to you could drink it as food, try that with diesel or any alternative fuel.) well hemp has allot of history in the USA a country now demonizing it for the last century because of it's relation to Marijuana. Besides all the things weed is good for (Cancer, chronic pain, watching sponge bob, glaucoma, MS, all sorts of stuff I wont go into) weed has clamed NOT ONE LIFE EVER, compared to smoking, Gasoline and alcohol.

I'll be clear however, this is not about Pot. In fact, lets say every thing about Pot I know for a fact is a lie. What makes Hemp out side the law? if it was embraced by industry would we not have even more uses for it? would it be conceivable to run cars off of it? the growth of hemp is only 110 days. the land it uses would retain the roots of the plant. it's a vary simple harvest, cut the stalks off and then it's fermentation it like you where making wine. you need to make a portion of the material into ethanol (further distilling) to ignite it, then it's a far more abundant fuel. the land left is tilled the crop rotated and in the next season you have another go at it. the soil is better off with it. unlike corn there is little need for pesticide and its a far shorter grow period, with multiple yields in a season.

the problem thing. Political climate... search youtube Fords Hemp car 1930s.

Politics are not my deal. Materials and building things makes me political though.

there are allot of places growing hemp any way. allot of countries it doesn't matter and is pretty well endorsed. changing the industry is like changing the political climate they will only do it when they realise they are missing out.

I'm wondering about our precious semiconductors, is this a possiblity with Bio mas? I'll be asking Sciforums too to see what kind of response I can get. but besides the idea that a few plants in my backyard over the summer I would beable to make a sweet project case with out melting plastics in my basment seems like a good spring or summer project and subversion to any weed I might want to be growing else ware. plus free matterials that just grow out of the ground by them selfs is pretty sweet.... Consoles that grow out of the ground... Cases first..

Hemp fiber is easy to get. once you have the plants, you strip the stalks into fibers. Hemps superior to many other plants because the fibers stay at a few feet in length... wile red woods (nearest thing compeating with it) are just a few inches. so you have these dry fibers. like making fiber glass, the resin is your hemp seed oil. the fiber lays out, apply resin, repeat... the fiber is strong and has been made in the past into many things. Cell phones, cars, cookingware... all sorts of crap.

Well isn't it a drug? Marijuana is a drug (on freaking paper, but there are more drugs, and more screwed up ones in breakfast cereals, but you still eat that don't you?) Hemp how ever HAS NO DRUGS IN IT!!! it's a close friend but it's that non stoned productive misunderstood weed no one can admit works crazy hard.

I'll end on the note that hemp paper is better takes less to make, the US declaration of independence is written on the stuff... if you have scene it, it' still white too... after how long?

it takes up to 80 years to grow a forest to be clear cut, it takes 110 days for hemp to be paper, seeds to books, in a few weeks not a few decades.

I'm willing to bet there are ways to get semi conductors out of plants. Hemp has more uses as a plant that any other, if some plant can help the way we make computers, cases and components it's going to be hemp.

Any way... GiverGiver

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Hemp

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:25 am

That was actually a really good read. And I have to agree, Hemp is indeed a very useful plant. My grandpa used to grow hemp to make rope with out at the old farm back in the day (50-60s), all of which still exists and is still in use within the buildings they were put in out there.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

cennar

Post by cennar » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:18 pm

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... 478a0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For organic semicondutors.... Now that I'm baked lets focus on this first.

It seems like you want to start by trying to make it make energy first, like you need to make a good plant based solar panel or look for plants with Photovoltaic components. short of that it's cool to see there is some weird solutions taking place. some how this reminds me of these solar cells that where being developed at the molecular level. like the new arrangement figured out produced way more power just because it was arranged to collect the most possible light. some thing like that would be good to start with. maybe not with light, but if say you could find and arrange some bigger components in squid first (Kind of like those potato battery) but then scale the crap out of the operation. That's basically like applying Macro and micro versions of what your doing. the likeliness of me getting hard into Bio-electric chemistry is pretty low... But you can ask and talk to people to you know put the dam Idea in there heads to see if it's in some way presumable... Hey the girl friends into chemistry pretty hard...

I'd love to be pointed in more directions with this stuff... I'm totally going to grow some hemp to make a case though. that's just settled, having the materials from scratch gives me so much more control over the base of it's construction. that would be sweet to play with

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:00 am

This is very fascinating. I'm going to shoot my Dad an email about this. He's very knowledgeable about alternative fuels and underground ideas for make life more efficient.
Image Image

cennar

Post by cennar » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:02 pm

cool, I'll keep posting stuff, there's a link in my inbox I found this morning. It was from a friend, the video on the link had this Japanise guy doing some extravigant messures to make every day plastics into Oil, even further making it refined into gasoline, diesel and Kerosene. interesting simplicity seen in the design too which is what I think my friend was trying to get at me for. I think I'm going to start cutting up lots of different materials and gluing up shapes into a simple cut out case. Right now being the winter, and the fact I'm leaving this place in the spring to take up a small apartment soon after, I might not be able to plan in growing hemp till the summer (Amongst other plants) so right now at least I could use the practice exploring other materials. My girl friends looking up ways to find and strip down to the Photovoltaic components and build liquid semiconductors (Big and little jars with the solution in them, maybe just enough to make some osolations to observe.)

Oh yeah edit: heres that link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGabror ... r_embedded

RockNRoll!

Post by RockNRoll! » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:47 am

As soon as they legalize it, I'm starting a hemp farm. Take that, petroleum, corn, cotton, timber, and nasty chemical companies! It's the best raw material there is for pretty much all its uses and also the easiest to grow so that's gonna be tits.

cennar

Post by cennar » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:36 pm

Are you in canada? you can grow hemp any ware. Pot you can infact grow out side or near a window legaly in two citys. It was 5 plants only wouldn't piss of cops, since Harper tried and failed to insitute mandatory minimum sentencing, there was a wave of small protests and the senate kept laughing him out, now after all that good stuff, Pot smokers came out on top, now In nova Scotia and BC you can have 7 plants. I suspect they can and will push more and more every year till you indeed will have that forest.

The Bit with hemp, Like weed the federal government has permits to grow(I think the hemp bit is an essayer sell too). though no one would care if you had lots of hemp and well documented warnings to potential trust passers that this will in fact not get you high.

Oh by the way the response from the Science forum was a joke, lots of people where ok with it. no one stayed in the thread who had any thing to add. and there where all these dicks who took up space posting that I and all other weed smokers where trying to validate our addictions... So I guess by part you guy's Know me better, or well enough to read all the way through the post. Also If you want a religious flame war every thread by all means start a science forum, I don't know why, but creationists have to ask scientists biblical questions like 20 hours a day, so any way regarding that sort of thing. I was completely right, there is no reason why it's not being embraced by industry except for political climate. (If your christian and up set with what I think.. PLEASE READ THE BIBLE, god wants you to use hemp. Would he make it and grow it all over the place if he didn't want humans to use it? is it a fluke that cave men made hemp paper and used it to roll joints? I do in fact know and hang out occasionally Christians who really do call it the holy herb, who are really really christian.) Any way Mostly benheckers are concerned with what matters, getting materials and sharing information and tips in doing so. Two things I'd like to see die as a trend by the time I'm dead, Gasoline and wood paper. North Americans are literally whipping there butts with the rain forest, when we don't have too, it just seems unnecessary.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Hemp

Post by jdmlight » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:32 pm

If you have a car that runs on hemp, would the exhaust smell like weed smoke?

I know the biodiesel refined from used cooking oil makes your exhaust smell like whatever was fried in the oil, so I was just curious.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

cennar

Post by cennar » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:24 pm

jdmlight wrote:If you have a car that runs on hemp, would the exhaust smell like weed smoke?

I know the biodiesel refined from used cooking oil makes your exhaust smell like whatever was fried in the oil, so I was just curious.

Nope, it would smell like burning hemp, so sort of like weed smoke. You could put a bit of weed in it and have the smell come out.

Also found out if you ran one around with a clean engine (Just hemp as lubricant) you would have a hard time finding carbon build up, apparently with a clean engine 200plus miles running just hemp, you wouldn't be able to dirty a white glove... Apparently we still need more information.

cennar

Post by cennar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:06 am

http://www.entheology.org/edoto/anmviewer.asp?a=375&z=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

read related links.
was sent in regard, thought interesting anyway.

Not quite related but less threads, faster tangent search under a materials search umbrella.