surges of noobs

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp
Re: surges of noobs

Post by bicostp » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:22 pm

Pretty sure every post after gamemasterAS's first in this thread has been tongue-in-cheek. :P

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:30 pm

lol, there are only 37 people on this forum that i cant call a noob technically :lol: but i have definitely noticed a sudden surge of the classic noob (doesnt know anything, asserts misinformation as truth, bumping old topics and just general noobiness) and i dont know what brought it on. the most we can do is inform them of the stickies and hope they learn

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:30 pm

ok, I wasn't referring to new members in general. I'm referring to the idiots who don't read through the threads of a completed project and say "hai, r u still selling this? I saw this on google images and I n33d one so bad. I will pay $500." even though it has been stated multiple times that it has been sold. or my personal favorite, when there are plenty of helpful pictures and build threads for something and people come begging for full tutorials. And then we get the occasional few who claim they have read ben's book and still want fuller tutorials.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Triton

Post by Triton » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:37 pm

l0g1c_f41ls wrote:Some people don't have to be douche bags like dragonhead was. They were just trying to ask questions about it and he wanted to be a dick. We all start as noobs no matter how long you've been posting somewhere. I haven't been here long but I have found out a lot about this kind of stuff you guys do. Some people are to impatient to read all the stickies or read threw a lot of threads to find what they need/want to know.
first of all learn some respect, you would get frustrated too if you had to tell person after person the SAME EXACT INFORMATION, information that is readily available in many places on the forum, time and time again because some people are "to impatient to read all the stickies or read threw a lot of threads..."

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:36 pm

Triton wrote:
l0g1c_f41ls wrote:Some people don't have to be douche bags like dragonhead was. They were just trying to ask questions about it and he wanted to be a dick. We all start as noobs no matter how long you've been posting somewhere. I haven't been here long but I have found out a lot about this kind of stuff you guys do. Some people are to impatient to read all the stickies or read threw a lot of threads to find what they need/want to know.
first of all learn some respect, you would get frustrated too if you had to tell person after person the SAME EXACT INFORMATION, information that is readily available in many places on the forum, time and time again because some people are "to impatient to read all the stickies or read threw a lot of threads..."
Also, bad grammer. Grrrrr....

cennar

Post by cennar » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:41 pm

lol, you can always ignore the little buggers. I had some flame war about Anne colter with some jerk off on you tube (might still be going on) the only thing that works is tell them, make it obvious, your point they need to read and observe facts... then direct them to the point that just giving them the attention is making the problem fallow you (I was getting pressing emails asserting he or she had no idea they where being a whore for dick). Aside from some thing like that.... There are so many youngins with tons of free time who don't leave the house enough. Not me however, I can boast that I left the house for 9 hole hours yesterday, however I do have another completed, much tighter pair of Ipod Video goggles, will wait till after I've found more work to upload. Totally look like a cyborg (that's what my girl friend says when I'm walking around tripping on Kaleidoscopic vision.)

Check out my forum / PLUG FOR PERSONAL TANGENTS / at the frigging link downwards

http://arbutusfreewire.proboards.com/in ... rd=general

Yeah I'm going go say I'm doing alright for non Noob s1ht them days, Do you guys want to hold my hand wile I make my first soldering connections?

Edit:YEAH CHECK IT... I'm totally old!!!

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:10 am

cennar wrote:Edit:YEAH CHECK IT... I'm totally old!!!
i hearby denote cennar semi-non-official benheck forum mascot/jester! :mrgreen:

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:19 am

Holy crap. I leave for a year and come back to find cennar. Now that's old-school. :shock:

Honestly, though, don't complain. Everyone's a noob at some point, and though it may be tedious helping people out at times, maybe people could curb their pretentiousness and give 'em a hand! Not gonna lie, this forum is nothing like it used to be; When I first started lurking this place in 2005, there was an incredibly active, dedicated, and passionate group of people tearing stuff apart and having a great time. Unfortunately, that's not the case anymore, and there's less activity then I've ever seen before.

My point is, if people are interested in what we're doing, you might as well greet them warmly, maybe they can help breathe some life into this place again.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:09 am

wow, since when did you come back?
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:09 am

copulate yeah cennar.

Activity is meh on ModRetro too, the whole modding community is bored right now, maybe after we get all the parts we ordered for christmas we'll get some crap done.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Triton

Post by Triton » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:27 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Honestly, though, don't complain. Everyone's a noob at some point, and though it may be tedious helping people out at times, maybe people could curb their pretentiousness and give 'em a hand!
I know where you're coming from on this but you have to look at this from both sides. yes we might be able to be a little nicer. but when probably 50% of new users are the sort who demand (not ask for, demand) tutorials, refuse to do any of their own research and just post threads or hijack topics asking questions that could be answered by a google search or checking the stickies, and they get irate when we tell them "hey look it up for yourself, we arent here to spoonfeed you". it gets old FAST, sure not all noobs are like that but a hell of a lot of them are. youngsters who think they're entitled to everything and deserve to have all the answers given to them on a silver platter, it pisses us old members off! back when we started NONE of this info was around, we had to figure it out for ourselves by trial and error!

this is my 6,999th post!

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:53 pm

So very true. Maybe we need a big banner on the front page that screams "Before you post: CHECK THE STICKES!" ...although some of the nooblets might not even read that lol.

**waits anxiously for the 7,000th Triton post**
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Triton wrote:
CronoTriggerfan wrote:Honestly, though, don't complain. Everyone's a noob at some point, and though it may be tedious helping people out at times, maybe people could curb their pretentiousness and give 'em a hand!
I know where you're coming from on this but you have to look at this from both sides. yes we might be able to be a little nicer. but when probably 50% of new users are the sort who demand (not ask for, demand) tutorials, refuse to do any of their own research and just post threads or hijack topics asking questions that could be answered by a google search or checking the stickies, and they get irate when we tell them "hey look it up for yourself, we arent here to spoonfeed you". it gets old FAST, sure not all noobs are like that but a hell of a lot of them are. youngsters who think they're entitled to everything and deserve to have all the answers given to them on a silver platter, it pisses us old members off! back when we started NONE of this info was around, we had to figure it out for ourselves by trial and error!

this is my 6,999th post!
Uhm, as someone who's had to put up with crap like that on this forum for years, I'd say I'm a fairly objective analyst for your side, as well, John. :lol:

Yeah, n00bs can suck, but all I'm saying is don't automatically be standoffish. Some of our most prominent members today were annoying and did the same sort of stuff when they first came here. Besides, due to the nature of our topic, a lot of them are new to forums/online message boards in general. Cut 'em some slack. :P

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:12 pm

i'm not saying we should automatically berate noobs, but when you try to correct somebody and they insult you and demand that they were correct when they very obviously arent what do you suggest we do? thank them? :lol:

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:25 pm

That's not a n00b, that's just a douche. Treat them accordingly :P