Flash Drive Halp!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Flash Drive Halp!

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:05 am

I am rather upset right now...cause my flash drive totally quit working...as in, when I plug it into ANYTHING (I've tried it in 3 different computers so far), it doesn't show up at all. No message from explorer, drive doesn't pop up in the computer folder, nothing at all. It is as if there is nothing plugged in. Doesn't even show up in the device manager...

Any ideas how to fix this isssue? (gots some important items on said flash drive that I badly need to get off of it...)

I've been searching around the webs for the past hour, but I've found nothing of worth yet.....perhaps someone who isn't nearly as cursed as I am may know/find something....

any help at all would be appreciated.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

DK

Re: Flash Drive Halp!

Post by DK » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:17 am

Has a fuse blown inside it? I had the same happen to my old USB, so cracked it open and lo and behold, the fuse had blown. Bridged the fuse with solder, got all the data off then bought a new stick.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:01 pm

I dunno. The thing it awfully tiny. It'd be pretty hard to get it a part without breaking it :(

This is the drive type:
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

budnespid

Post by budnespid » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Yikes. My teacher last year had a similar problem, but it was just a broken solder joint.

If it is possible to open it, be sure to check for broken joints.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 pm

Surface mount components are going to bring a death to fixing things yourself :(

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:18 pm

When it comes to most things electronic these days, they already have :evil:

...good thing my stereo was made in the late 70s...I can fix that when it breaks...so I'll always have kicken tunes :)

As for the flash drive problem, I cracked it open and I managed to get it working for about 10 seconds. Fortunately, that was just long enough for me to salvage the important stuff from it :)

I'm pretty sure it's 100% shot now. But at least I got my important stuff off of it for placement elsewhere.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:24 pm

Check the contacts on the USB connector. Sometimes those cheap thin things think they're NES cartridge connectors and bend enough so that they don't make good contact anymore.

Someone gave me the shattered plastic remains of a thumbdrive once. Apparently it stopped working one day so they ripped it out of the PC and stomped on it. :facepalm: It only needed a little solder and some tape to work again. Now it's loaded with Windows PE, and a bunch of portable fix-it tools. 8)
Metallica Man X wrote:...good thing my stereo was made in the late 70s...I can fix that when it breaks...so I'll always have kicken tunes :)
<3 Heathkit

kylerock96
PSN Username:xXminiman159Xx
360 GamerTag:xXkylerockXx

Post by kylerock96 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:50 pm

What was on it, ya nasty.
I will take commissions on anything!!!!*

that is, anything but arcade systems...

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:07 pm

Nothing nasty..just my personal log and some of my demo tracks.