VNC Help

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ghosstt
VNC Help

Post by ghosstt » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:34 pm

I set up a linux box in the dorm to be used as a media server (with boxee as the head). When I VNC to it, it allows me to control everything, but it doesn't show it on my screen. (I can use my mouse and keyboard, but I have to look at the TV) I've tried UltraVNC and TightVNC. It just gives me 1 snapshot from as soon as it connects, and thats it. any ideas?

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Re: VNC Help

Post by jdmlight » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:21 pm

ghosstt wrote:I set up a linux box in the dorm to be used as a media server (with boxee as the head). When I VNC to it, it allows me to control everything, but it doesn't show it on my screen. (I can use my mouse and keyboard, but I have to look at the TV) I've tried UltraVNC and TightVNC. It just gives me 1 snapshot from as soon as it connects, and thats it. any ideas?
Are you trying to use the Boxee interface over VNC? I know when I've tried to use Plex (port of XBMC for Mac with some Mac-specific extras, like being able to use a Logitech Harmony remote with the built-in IR sensor) over VNC it just doesn't work at all. I think VNC doesn't have the refresh rate necessary for a full-screen interactive UI.

Can you see the desktop of the Linux box over VNC?
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 pm

Just regular linux, pre loading into boxee. I can control everything, but it doesn't update on my laptop. I have to look at the TV its hooked up to.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:01 am

If Boxee somehow uses hardware acceleration on Linux, VNC probably doesn't pick it up and instead shows a black screen. On Windows, some hardware accelerated things don't pick up on PrintScreen screenshots, and instead only display as black boxes. (For example, if you Print Screen a video in WMP it will show up as a black box in Paint. This does let you paint on a moving video if you put WMP back "under" paint, so you can pretend you're John Madden.)

Is there something like a web interface you can use instead?

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:42 am

I'm not trying to VNC into boxee at all. It's not even running. I'm just trying to VNC into a regular ubuntu. At one point, it was allowing full control to show on the laptop, but now, i have to look at the server's monitor, and control it with the laptop. (happens on both windows and mac)