Use Google Maps for video Game?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

BioHazzrd
Use Google Maps for video Game?

Post by BioHazzrd » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:27 pm

i want to use Google maps/earth to create maps for my own video game i am working on. I don't know if this is possible, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be too hard. Ive played with making maps before and i could create it all from scratch, but it would be a lot easier if i could use the 3D buildings and everything that Google has on their maps... Any feedback is appreciated!
If at first you don't succeed... Call it version 0.5

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Use Google Maps for video Game?

Post by hackmodford » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Cool 8D

limpport

Post by limpport » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:43 am

These immeadiatly jumped to mind. My friend has the second on their Droid, it's pretty fun!

http://www.class3outbreak.com/zombie-ou ... simulator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.zrli.org/zombierun/about.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cennar

Post by cennar » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:18 pm

look up sketch up. you can get images off of google maps, both to make your own terrain and for up load for google earth 3d. any way the as it happens, google released this to help complete google earth. like Wikipedia, people can upload to help build the 3d map of earth. I use it because it's good for creating fast OBJ models that can be viewed in a number of different programs, including some of the free game makers (Cube2 sandbox)

http://sketchup.google.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your mother used it co comprehend my left hand btw.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:43 pm

zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

cennar

Post by cennar » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:56 pm

that's down right creepy... a better application would be GTA, or some FPS environments. in the future (or right now) apple and google employees will sleep in 7000$ napping pods, wile fox com manufacturing divisions will need netting to catch would be suicide attempts in china for all the novelty hardware in both the android, black berrys, I pones and I pad. insuring designers slave away getting beauty naps in the middle of the day and the folks who actually assemble there phones and toys keep washing there clothing in sinks, living in kennel size dorms.

so in light of that sort of thing, I would rather run over people in san fransisco and simulate worker release situations in china on my modded google map applications. mean wile look forward to taking actual walks out side in the sun. besides having women, actual cars, real light, and pot. there are better excuses to make more realistic endeavors when back in the office, or class room than just looking forward to my tread mill.

BioHazzrd

Post by BioHazzrd » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:23 pm

Thanks for the posts I will look into this some more... Just think it would be cool to play some FPS in my neighborhood... Of course inside houses would be different... I could get my hands on building plans for public buildings and do the whole building... IDK I will get working on this and keep you updated
If at first you don't succeed... Call it version 0.5

cennar

Post by cennar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:24 pm

ninjas and dinosaurs, has that been done yet? cow boys riding dinosaurs shooting ninjas out of cars left and right. Make sure it doesn't stop and you can ride the lizard fast.