Multi-slacking!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight
Multi-slacking!

Post by jdmlight » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:41 pm

What do you do when you're just wasting time? Post screenshots, pictures, funny stories, or whatever describes the situation best.

Me? I'll readily admit that I'm a typical computer science student, geeking out on things that most people wouldn't understand:
Click me.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Multi-slacking!

Post by bicostp » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:51 pm

VirtualBox Seamless Mode FTW. 8)

Here's an experiment of mine:

System 6 running on Mini vMac which is running inside Mac OS 9 on SheepShaver which is running at 1920x1080 inside a VirtualBox Windows XP VM on my Windows 7 desktop. (I suppose I could have run Basilisk II inside SheepShaver, then mini vMac inside that, then another copy of Mini vMac inside of that, but that's leaning into Inception territory...) There's a folder on my physical hard drive that is shared to the VM. The VM sees the shared folder as a network share, so I have it mounted to F:\. SheepShaver and Basilisk II then mount the VM's F:\ drive inside the My Computer icon on the System 7 / OS 9 desktop, so effectively I have a way to directly add stuff to the emulated systems.

SheepShaver has its own VM for a few reasons:

- It uses a couple homemade custom drivers for network and CD-ROM access, which can be flaky at times.
- SheepShaver isn't particularly stable. The network driver is hit or miss, and it doesn't emulate a PMMU so programs that rely on that might crash the emulator. BasiliskII (which emulates 68k Macs up to the Quadra) is a bit more stable but your browser options are limited because it can only run up to OS 8.1. "Just in case", the emulators and their drivers are effectively sandboxed.
- So I can mount ISO images on the VM and have them load in the emulated OS 9 environment. (SheepShaver unfortunately can't mount ISOs by itself.)

And before you ask, the folder names were a joke, Steam is just a folder with a custom icon, the dock is an extension (but the tabs are a built-in feature) and System 6 (running inside Mini vMac) has wallpaper thanks to an extension called Background. :P

Also, EMACS?! Bleh. Get Notepad++. :P

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:14 pm

I have no life.

http://imgur.com/t3bxQ.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:46 pm

If I'm at home, I'll usually pick up my guitar and rock out for a while...and wind up recording a tune of some kind, which'll include drums and stuff...beyond that, just crank up the stereo and enjoy.

If I'm wasting time at work, I just surf around and look at pictures of random things..then save said pictures to my flash drive for idea inspiration laterz.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

desertman123
PSN Username:Desertman123

Post by desertman123 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:09 pm

When I'm bored I make these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKkgvMbW7iQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Word to the wise: DON'T THROW ELECTRONICS AWAY!!!