Some days, you just get lucky - coin thread!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

nitro2k01
Re: Some days, you just get lucky - coin thread!

Post by nitro2k01 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:12 am

bicostp wrote:I've got a $1 silver certificate in my envelope o' old money somewhere. I traded a computer repair customer a $1 bill for it, because they thought it was counterfeit. :lol: (It does seem a little bit "off" when you look at it, though.) Here's a picture of it with a $1 federal reserve note for comparison (just the front, the backs are identical):
http://i55.tinypic.com/35dbz2f.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Going off the gold standard FTL. :(
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

omgitsthebishop

Post by omgitsthebishop » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:07 pm

Just sold my coin collection the other day for $4,400! Very surprising considering I was told it was only going to be around $500.

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:27 pm

Hey, Bic, I googled 1957 dollar (the date on the "fake" one) and it seems a lot of them look like that. Seems they're worth a bit, too, up to $40.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Thems are monies with intrinsic value..as opposed to the negative value fiat fed note.

They used them back in the day in place of the silver coins. If anyone wanted the silver instead tho, they'd take the silver certificate to the bank, and exchange it for the metal. The paper would then be destroyed since the silver piece it represented was now in circulation.

Gold certificates are the same way..I've got a few of each kinds :)
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato