Why is there no topic for Metroid?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

smitty
Why is there no topic for Metroid?

Post by smitty » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Seriously, the game comes out tomorrow, I thought there'd be a good discussion by now. Since there's not, I'll start.
This game looks...
Who agrees?
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Re: Why is there no topic for Metroid?

Post by Rekarp » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:41 pm

I agree.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

TomKStones
360 GamerTag:TomKStones

Post by TomKStones » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:45 pm

As do I.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:48 pm

What metroid? There's a new one coming out!? Eh...it's probably for the Wii.....which means I won't ever play it anyway lol.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:18 pm

The subject is so awesome, it doesnt require discussion.

Locked.

kidding.
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:50 am

I thought this game came out a year ago.

I still havent finished echoes....

I do not like the idea of using wii controllers to play metroid.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Referring to Metroid: The Other M.

You're probably thinking of Metroid 3 Corruption for the Wii.
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

mako321

Post by mako321 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:45 pm

I played it before it came out because it was leaked, by that time I already payed off the preorder. Got it yesterday. Box looks nice, game sucks hard.
What I think of the game:
http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I say we switch the focus to Super Metroid.

TomKStones
360 GamerTag:TomKStones

Post by TomKStones » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:45 am

weaponepsilon wrote:The subject is so awesome, it doesnt require discussion.

Locked.

kidding.

You're not locking it, due to the fact that you can't. :mrgreen:

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:07 pm

mako321 wrote:I played it before it came out because it was leaked, by that time I already payed off the preorder. Got it yesterday. Box looks nice, game sucks hard.
Uhh.. Wtf!? I got it Tuesday, and have loved every second of it so far. The controls are great, and I really like 3rd person for Metroid.
edit: looks like I can't view that link because I'm not a member on Mod Retro.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

mako321

Post by mako321 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Oh yeah, that's one of the hidden sections.
The game feels like it's further off from being a metroid game than Fusion, and I found a thread on M2K2 Forums to sum up how I feel:
I got the game this aftenoon and have spent the past approx. 6 hours playing it. Unlike probably many people here, I've been avoiding spoilers for a while, so I was expecting a 3D Metroid game. This is one time when my optimism has failed me.

The game is basically Fusion 2, and my main reason for continuing playing at this point is the hope that I'll get to see Adam die.

One thing I like about Other M so far is the basic style of gameplay, having free movement in all directions, the simplicity of controlling Samus during combat (at least until you need to fire a missile).

Things I don't like are the linearity, the cutscenes, and the obscene number of charge shots it takes to kill some of the enemies. In some ways, Other M is even more linear than Fusion, because the latter at least had side rooms for you to go into. Here it's through one room into the next room into the next room, finding the occasional pickup as you go. And there's many, many points where you cannot go back the way you came. Plus, saving is mandatory every single time you reach a new save point, which would make this game an utter nightmare to speedrun

Moving on, whoever wrote the script for this game needs to be taken out and shot. Samus's monologues read like fanfiction written by an overemotional fourteen year old. And then there's points where you're forced to walk around reeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyy sssllloooowwwwllllyyyyy, sometimes for several minutes, for storyline purposes. Finally, the relatively frequent points where you're stuck in first-person mode until you've scanned some specific object in the environment are without a doubt the stupidest idea ever, especially since the game is very picky that you scan the exact right location and rarely gives you any sort of hint as to where that location is.

Finally the combat, which is really the entire point of the game, ranges from meh to fun. Meh is for the annoying minibosses who don't really stand a chance of actually hitting you but still take dozens of charge shots to kill. Fun is for some of the boss fights.

If I were to give a score to this game, out of ten, rating it as a Metroid game, I'd give it a 2. If I were to score it as an action game, I'd give it a five.
http://m2k2.taigaforum.com/post/so_who_ ... inted.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I might not give it a 2(a bit higher), but that's the jist of it. I'm really going to miss secret worlds and l-lock jumping and crap like that. Even BOMB JUMPING for christ sake is broken in the game, you barely move most of the time.

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:55 pm

I guess I understand where you're coming from, the really slow parts and those i-spy things are annoying, but I do like the cutscenes, and the whole linear gameplay really isn't bad. It's a lot different than past Metroid games, but I think that's what they were aiming for, and it doesn't make it a bad game. (and yes, I also like Fusion)