ADHD? Adderall?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp
Re: ADHD? Adderall?

Post by bicostp » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Don't take prescription medication for ailments you don't have, especially in excess. There's a reason you can't buy that stuff off the shelf like Tylenol. :|

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:19 am

just as a point of curiosity what was your diet/exercise like before you started taking adderal.
and what age were you diagnosed with ADHD?
i have pretty similar symptoms to some of you guys however i've been classified as bi-polar :/
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:07 am

Bic, all my stuff is prescribed.

And blaze, my symptoms are regular ADHD symptoms. Search it on the net. (I'm stretched for time, so I cant type them all out.)
And I was properly diagnosed at like 16-17 years old. I'm 19 now.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:12 pm

bicostp wrote:I have a mild case of ADD, and did try Adderall in middle school. On a good day I was like a 70s burnout, on a bad day it was like being on horse tranquilizer. :(
thats because they were giving you too high of a dosage, at the proper dosage levels it wouldnt have made you a zombie. usually you hear that with ritalin tho
The stuff has a very high black market value, Ive seen people pay $10/pill.

Im pretty sure they suggest not taking your adderall in the evening... for reasons you have discovered. You basically described a speed trip. It feels great eh? Its hella addictive. Watch yourself... Once your body gets used to it, you might just want to do more to feel the same. It creeps up on you...

I find that these drugs destroy my appetite, to the point where Im always sooooo hungry when Im on them but I cant eat a damn thing. Its a pretty bad feeling.
When you first start taking adderall, and most amphetamines i would assume, it does induce a mild euphoria (HDCs "really happy") but that goes away pretty fast. and around here 20mg XRs are about 4-5 bucks a pill, because i couldnt afford my legal perscription i was buying 10mg XRs from a friend for a while and paying around 2-3$ a pill, which is still DRASTICALLY cheaper than the actual perscription (about 6.50 a pill for 10mgs) and stimulants are appetite suppressants, it would almost make me sick to eat when i was on ritalin and not as bad but still zero appetite on adderall. also eat an hour before you take the adderall IIRC, eating after taking it, or taking it too soon after eating can reduce its effective dose by over 50%
2) A lot of energy. I took adderall at 5pm on the first day. Stay up till 6am. Wasnt tired, but went to bed because I just wanted to. Woke up at 11am, and didnt even feel exhausted. (Usually I'm groggy with 8 hours of sleep. 5 hours would DESTROY me. But it didnt.) Stimulant medications will do that lol

3) I seem to be more talkative, but with a one track mind. Like, instead of being talkative and going on about a million different things, I seem to be somewhat the same talkative level, but I seem to focus on ONE general subject. (But this means, I can also keep going ON and ON about the same thing, because I need to stay focused on something.) again, stimulant meds tend to make people more outgoing and inclined to talk to people

4) I seem to be "speeding" as my mom calls it. Like, talking fast, moving fast, etc. Thats because it IS speed lol, desoxyn is the perscription name for methamphetamine, and adderall is just a combination of 4 amphetamine salts (
One thing to keep in mind is amphetamine tolerance builds INCREDIBLY FAST. i would avoid taking it every single day if you can, alternate days, take a multivitimin like you already are, plus omega 3 fatty acid. also magnesium can greatly increase the efficacy of adderall, i had a friend who has been taking it for years and had a pretty large tolerance to it (20mg XR and 2 10mg XRs a day was his dosage) and i gave him some magnesium to take and he took it with a 10mg pill and said it worked better than the 20s usually did for him. there is a great forum you can check out http://www.addforums.com which has a TON of info on the various medications and suppliments and things that can help people in managing ADD

i've spent the last 2-3 years of my life dealing with various doctors and government agencies in trying to get treatment for my ADD-I so i have done a TON of research on the various medications, and different facts about ADD so if anybody wants to talk about it hit me up on instant messenger or PM me. Interestingly enough a lot of ADD people who dont know they have it tend to self medicate without realizing it, drinking lots of coffee and mt dew and that sort of thing because caffiene is a stimulant, just not a very good one :lol:

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Triton wrote:
bicostp wrote:I have a mild case of ADD, and did try Adderall in middle school. On a good day I was like a 70s burnout, on a bad day it was like being on horse tranquilizer. :(
thats because they were giving you too high of a dosage, at the proper dosage levels it wouldnt have made you a zombie. usually you hear that with ritalin tho
If memory serves I was on 5mg/day.

@HDC: That comment was directed at Timmeh's post, which is worded like he abused prescription drugs for recreational purposes:
I was never diagnosed with anything, but Ive done a bunch of ritalin and adderall once. Its a pretty good buzz IMO.

Triton

Post by Triton » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:31 pm

hm, stimulants do have different effects on different people i suppose. and I dont support the purchase of perscription medication illegally, but in my case it was buy it on the street or do without, and i DID have a perscription for what i was buying, i just couldnt afford to get the actual perscription filled. I got insurance specifically to pay for my ADD meds, so they increased my rate due to me having ADD, and then they wont cover my adderall perscription at ALL, zero, zip, zilch, nada, nothing.

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Could be worse at least they simply said 'No."
My old insurance company didn't like paying for the Modafinil needed treat my narcolaypsy, so they started this game where a every couple of months they would ask me to provide specific reciepts from different years for fillling my perscription, and suspend my coverage until they 'processed' this proof again or were 'recompensated for a false claim'. Since I only get a refill once a year (long story) they ran out of 'new' reciepts to request and started repeating requests.

Eventually I [rage-quit] when I was impailed (had a knife pass through me and into the floor, long story) and they suspended my coverage without notice, got the (first) doctor to stop treating me, then refused to reimbusrse me for the ordeal. So I shouted when their rep called me after I'd gone to bed (knowing from my file that I have a medical need to sleep at certain times) "If you don't want to pay for my medication then stop playing these games with my life and stop paying for it."

Edvidently they took my advice and canceled the account for 'beligerant behaviour.'

edit: language, grammar.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:01 pm

I believe if my tolerance builds fast, they'll up my dose. They wants to anyway after the first month to 40mg. It says to take everyday.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:28 pm

One does build up a tolerance to dextroamphetamines pretty quickly. I've only been on Adderall for a year, and I've already built up a tolerance. In contrast, I've been on Buproprion for fourteen years, and haven't had any tolerance effects. I'm under close psychiatric evaluation, though. I have an excellent doctor. Seven years ago, when I was doing much better, he started weaning me off them. It didn't work, and I started blacking out, not concentrating, and getting all messed up. So he put me back on everything. He keeps a close eye on me, though, and I trust him. He's seen me do really well, I know he can help me do better again.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Triton

Post by Triton » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:06 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:I believe if my tolerance builds fast, they'll up my dose. They wants to anyway after the first month to 40mg. It says to take everyday.
taking the vitamin suppliments and magnesium can help slow down how fast you build up the tolerance to the drug. for me anyway i only took the adderall when i actually needed it, if i didnt have a need to take it (eg on the weekends when not working or at school) i wouldnt take it. if you only take it when you need it tolerance will be slower to build

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:58 am

i was told i had adhd when i was around 6 years old.
I have taken ritilen, dexanphedimime (it wont be spelt right)
Halfway through last year i was told i never had adhd, but instead i had autism.
I now take endep, it helps me keep my cool :D
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 am

Do you mean Dextroamphetamine? :p

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:50 am

ive had ritalin (Methylphenidate), concerta (extended release Methylphenidate), strattera (Atomoxetine, a SNRI), and adderall XR. out of all of those adderall was the only one where the negative side effects DIDNT outweigh the benefits provided by the drug. ritalin/concerta made me feel VERY tense and edgy, lightheaded, short of breath and just like CR@P in general. strattera just made me feel weird, hot and cold flashes, kind of out of it instead of focused. adderall caused minor muscle tension and killed my appetite but wasnt nearly as bad as the others.

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:57 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:Do you mean Dextroamphetamine? :p
ya, i think
i have also had concerta
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

Steamdnt
PSN Username:xboxlive_adm

Post by Steamdnt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:55 am

When I was really little i was hyperactive. Instead of adhd meds my parent started cutting out some foods from my diet. Turns out i was allergic to modified corn starches.
I have also noticed that if i have an eatmore bar, i become really agressive, and i cant concentrate properly.
Im actually fine eating regular stalk corn, but modified sets me off.
- Formerly known as DNT 2.5
A wild Website link has appeared.