Tour of the the Detroit Maker Fair (56k warning)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator
Tour of the the Detroit Maker Fair (56k warning)

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:10 am

I talked with Nevermind1534, he wanted to start a seperate thread for pictures (and videos) of the show. Well here's the first of it from me.

Here's Nevermind1534 at the controls of his team's robot

If you love those singing sea creatures, you'll love this ride!

Home-built CNC machine. This would be cool from people looking to do cases like Ben's... Just not in metal.

Someone built a sentry. Really it's a Nerf gun that was modded into a turret and then set on a R/C robot. Really cool watching the kids run and scream.

This bicycle was going around quite-a-bit. Really cool in how it worked, you had to steer it like an old school tank. Just wish I could have gotten better pictures.

Arts and Crafts were a big part of the fair, a whole section outside was setup for vendors and how-to lessons. Over at this tent I even tried learning how to knit... it's nothing how I thought it was, lol.
FYI - The images above are looms with felted wool, for making rugs.

Old technology is new again!

Inside they had a cool setup of robotic chess. Unfortunately games weren't being played but you can imagine I'm sure.

There were people building astrometric droids too.

Even R2 was there!

A player piano, but not in the typical sense. The keys are actuated by old rocker arms from hard drives. Really cool.

I've got to take some pictures of the cool stuff I got. I'll do that later... like Monday. So expect and update soon.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

e3c

Re: Tour of the the Detroit Maker Fair (56k warning)

Post by e3c » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:45 am

i would love a nerf turret. id set up about 75 of them around my house and if some one tried to get in they would attack! well theyd be gold plated... (then again they might just take the bullets 0.0
My For Sale Thread

^ Rare Moniter, Many Consoles, And More!