Growing up on BenHeck.com

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Super Cameraman
Growing up on BenHeck.com

Post by Super Cameraman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:54 am

So, I joined this forum in early 2006. That doesn't seem like it's that long ago, but to put it in perspective, I was in middle school then. Now I'm leaving for college. I've been reading my old posts from back then and it's really interesting to see how I've changed. It's something you can't get from home videos and pictures. And boy am I glad I've grown up!

I was sort of cocky... Like rub-it-in-your-face-ish. I would sign my posts with my username... Why? Sometimes I'd sign it with "SCM" or "Super." I mean really, what was I thinking? I was some four-eyed fourteen year old thinking that my username was so great that I could abbreviate it and still think I'm the coolest guy on this forum.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it's really interesting to see how one has matured by looking at forum posts. I mean, I was 15 years old when I joined this forum. I thought I was some classic gaming snob because I owned a Super Nintendo and my uncle gave me a MAME cabinet as a gift.

Wow and did I really compare PSP fans to Nazis? God dammit I was an ignorant little kid.

I'd also like to take this time to apologize for appearing to be really unlikable in those old posts. Maybe I'm being melodramatic but when I read these posts I want to find that kid and just punch him in the head!

Anyone else here grow up on Benheck.com? Look at your old posts, it's pretty fun.
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Re: Growing up on BenHeck.com

Post by evilteddy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:10 am

There's nothing wrong with signing off with your username!!

Evilteddy

(see what I did there?)

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:38 pm

I was already in college when I joined and I still am in college. If anything I have become more of an git over the years :D
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:36 pm

i was a freshman in highschool when i joined this forum! and now i've been graduated for 3 years, done some college and stuff too!

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:28 pm

My first post on this site:
Life of Brian wrote:Has anyone had any experience adding a controller port on the SNESp for a second player to just plug in and play along with you? I was thinking that I'd basically use Ben's design for the case, but make a space somewhere convenient so that a standard SNES controller could plug in (Mario Kart just isn't the same by yourself). How would this affect power consumption? I'd be grateful for some pointers or just mere informed speculation.
I think I'm pretty much the same as when I started here with the exception that I know a lot more about electronics now and I have built quite a collection of tools over the past five years :D I think it's neat that I accomplished exactly what I set out to do when I joined these forums - I built an SNES that kinda looked like Ben's NES portable with some added features such as a second player port, video out, and a headphone jack.

Hmm, what else has changed about me since I joined? I got married and graduated from college - does that count as important? :P

Edit: Of course, I haven't always been the savvy forum user that I am today:
Life of Brian wrote:Aw dangit I don't know how to delete posts...

I apologize.
^lol
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:47 pm

When I first posted on Benheck I didn't use punctuation all that much and had an annoying signature. I was one of those "hey i don't know anything about portablising (sp?) but i want to try so tell me everything i need to know like where to put wires where to put solder etc kk thx links plz :)" guys. When I made a build log every update would be "kk i just soldered a wire! making progress! :)"

Now I use proper grammar, spell check everything, and make sure you can read what I'm posting without having to decipher what I typed. Now I know what I'm doing when I take things apart. I do dun goof every once and a while though.
Citizen Kane

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:13 am

I remember when Life of Brian was joedog86... :(

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:44 am

I started going here sometime in middle school. This coming year will be my senior year in high school. You can imagine the changes we all went through from those times. I'm honestly pretty embarrassed of my older posts. I'm also a bit embarrassed of my actions (Retromaster I owe you some apologies). It's been great growing up here though. In middle school I was really an outsider and didn't have friends or any interests. This site got me interested in all forms of technology and gave me some sort of a sense of belonging. Although I'm not great friends with many people here, I've definitely made some good friends. This place really helped me in a lot of ways (like teaching me some proper grammar :lol:)

You guys are great.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:22 am

OMG. I blocked my own signature like. 3 years ago. Does it still auto-sign my posts? I totally forgot haha :(

Yeah I remember starting on this site, and being all like "ooh Im in university Im smarter than all these kids"

Im still like that :D

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

DK

Post by DK » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:58 am

Skyone wrote:I remember when Life of Brian was joedog86... :(
Remember joining promising to make a portable, still haven't :P

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:31 pm

Its been a while. I joined I think in Grade 9. I'm in 2nd year of college now.

I was browsing portables back in my days of grade 8.

Wow 15 days ago, and it would have been my 5th year at benheck.

Can I moderator please get my first post?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:37 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:Its been a while. I joined I think in Grade 9. I'm in 2nd year of college now.

I was browsing portables back in my days of grade 8.

Wow 15 days ago, and it would have been my 5th year at benheck.

Can I moderator please get my first post?
I remember you getting banned, like three times :lol:
HDCs first post
My first post

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:30 am

Haha, I feel the exact same way. Cheers!
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

limpport

Post by limpport » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:47 pm

:lol: Mine was asking where to get "ribbon cable", like the thin stuff that the PSone screen lcd connects to the motherboard. Boy, was I an idiot...
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 30#p128230" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And my giant gorilla avatar that Bic so kindly made smaller for me! Good times.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:46 am

It's been about four and a half years since I first discovered this site. Sometime winter-spring 2006, I stumbled upon some of Ben's projects somewhere and read the crap out of all his articles. Then I discovered this magical little "forums" button on his main page. :lol: Lurked for awhile, then finally joined in June. This site has had a ridiculous impact on my life, and I've met some awesome people. And yes, I was a stupid little 15-year-old when I joined. :P
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen: