Record Console-styled multimedia entertainment center

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Biased
Record Console-styled multimedia entertainment center

Post by Biased » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:16 pm

While I was reading engadget today, a side article led me to this here coffee table. So, I thought it would be pretty sweet to build an actual functional multimedia PC inside of a coffee table, but then thought of all the cords that would be necessary, along with the hazards of spills and rough-housing that typically go on in a living room.

A little more thinking led me to remembering that I have a console record player at my sister's house similar to this:

I could build one inside of it and fit new speakers, control for surround sound, and tons of other goodies. Plus, I think something like this would look sweet right beneath a wall-mounted HDTV. The problem? It's pretty heavy just from the materials, let alone the hardware inside, and it's clumsy. Moving it is NOT easy, especially up and down stairs. Also, it's a freakin dual speed vinyl player with auxiliary input, a radio AND 8-track player.

So, I thought about building a console from scratch. This way it can be lighter, I don't have to destroy the original one, and I can build the look of it from the ground up instead of finding a fabric replacement for tweed or something to replace the 70's style veneer :P.

I don't have any designs or budget made up since I just came up with the idea, though. Gimme some feedback. Does anyone else have any suggestions as to another classic piece of furniture or hi-fi I could cram some circuitry into, perhaps?

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Re: Record Console-styled multimedia entertainment center

Post by Rekarp » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Well it must have a turntable in it of course. Problem with modern stuff is you need remote control access. A little soldering tho and you can move the receiver.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:43 pm

radio consoles like that (late 60s to early 80s) are a dime a dozen, so i wouldnt worry too much about destroying the original, unless its something unique or valuable (not too likely lol)

Biased

Post by Biased » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:50 am

The only value it holds to me is that it used to be my grandparents', when my dad was a kid and when I was a kid all of us would dink around with it. So it's just nostalgic.