New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
limpport
Senior Member
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: (the only person here from) Vermont
Contact:

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by limpport » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:28 am

humakabula1 wrote:
benheck wrote: Move: The lighted ball is rubber, you can smush it.
lighted ball? smush?
you lost me
So when you get way into your game, you only smush it into your friends teeth, instead of knocking them clean out of their head.

Mikeyman, that head tracking vid is awesome!



Edit: Pagebreak, thou art a heartless female of the dog species (much like gravity)

User avatar
benheck
Site Admin
Posts: 1880
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Location: Wisconsin - Land of Beer and Cheese and Beer
Contact:

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by benheck » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:22 pm

The lighted ball on the Move is a malleable silicone rubber. You can squeeze it.

3DS is friggin' awesome. Graphics are iPhone level. Nintendo goes back to their old ways of making awesome technical stuff!

BTW fuzzy warm family friendly Nintendo 3DS area is like a strip club. Literally. Huge bodyguards and overly flirty babes having you try demos.

-Ben
Image

User avatar
eagle5953
Moderator
Posts: 1892
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:06 pm
360 GamerTag: eagle5953
Steam ID: eagle5953
Contact:

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by eagle5953 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:29 pm

I am so stoked for the 3DS to replace my Lite. Glad to hear it is as amazing as I had hoped.

User avatar
smitty
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:45 pm
Location: the band room
Contact:

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by smitty » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:36 pm

I want the 3DS so much, I'm actually kind of mad at myself for getting a DSi now. And Nintendo. I'm mad at them for making a DS that's twice as powerful with 4 times as much RAM as the original, never making any games for it, and then killing it off after a year or two. I understand that they have something better now, but they at least could have supported the damned thing.

Soo... Anybody wanna buy my DSi? :P
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:
Image

User avatar
humakabula1
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:11 am
360 GamerTag: H1writer
Location: Diggi Down Under

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by humakabula1 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:53 pm

Ahhh i get it now 8)
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

User avatar
collinE
Posts: 891
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:07 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Contact:

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by collinE » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Mikeyman64 wrote:Yeah, the only thing that really impressed me this year was the 3DS. It seemed to be the only thing that was actually a complete and new technology. I imagine that it's going to be something like Head Tracking.

I don't have much faith in the new 360, only because I (as do many of you, I'm sure) have a stack of about 3 broken 360s in my workshop right now, and that's only only a shadow of what's passed through it in the past 4 years. We'll just have to wait and see.

Kinect looks like an attempt to "revolutionize the living room" that might work ok for about 6 months then die. It just doesn't differ enough from the Wii controls and the EyeToy.

Move looks like it was well made, but still a copy of technology more or less.

But of course, that's just my opinion from information gathered by watching the E3 vids.
I think you're a little off on a few points.

The 3DS doesn't do head tracking. The 3D is visible only from a very specific area in front of the screen. Someone looking over your shoulder can't see it. Not really anything like what's in that video.

I actually have a lot of faith in the new 360. I would seriously doubt that Microsoft would allow this model to carry the same problems as the last few after the billions of dollars they lost with the RRoD. They've had this unit in the works for a while, too.

The technology of the Move and Kinect is incredibly fresh. Move may look similar to the Wii, but the technology behind it works opposite of the Wiimote and allows for way more accuracy. It's like comparing cake and steak and saying they're not different because they sound the same and you put them in your mouth. Kinect is probably the most fresh because it can track your location in 3D. Not as detailed as Sony's camera, but enough to make out fingers and such.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

User avatar
Steamdnt
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:24 pm
PSN Username: xboxlive_adm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by Steamdnt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Ha, The new 360 scratches disks like the original. if that is any indication, it gets RROD too.
I doubt that it will show as three flashing lights, but I foresee a persistent error in it's future. Just as Ben said, it puts out a lot of heat, heat usually leads to breaks.
- Formerly known as DNT 2.5
A wild Website link has appeared.

User avatar
bicostp
Moderator
Posts: 10491
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:47 pm
Steam ID: bicostp
Location: Spamalot
Contact:

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by bicostp » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Well, at least now has a huge vent right over the heatsink, so it shouldn't kill itself as quickly as the old ones did.

But if they can't get the heat issue under control, I have an idea for their next redesign...

User avatar
jones
Compound Intelligence
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:20 am
PSN Username: jarjarisgod
Contact:

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by jones » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:24 pm

DNT 2.5 wrote:Just as Ben said, it puts out a lot of heat, heat usually leads to breaks.
Note: The units we have seen at E3 are all sitting in these odd plastic sleeve things (probably to hold them in place) that manage to cover nearly half of the ventilation holes in the unit itself. Long story short, the ones at the show run hot but they'll probably be fine in your home. Unless, of course, you decide to cover half the vent holes. Then you'll probably have an oven on your hands.

User avatar
Mikeyman64
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: End of the World, AWKI
Contact:

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by Mikeyman64 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:39 am

collinE wrote:
Mikeyman64 wrote:Yeah, the only thing that really impressed me this year was the 3DS. It seemed to be the only thing that was actually a complete and new technology. I imagine that it's going to be something like Head Tracking.

I don't have much faith in the new 360, only because I (as do many of you, I'm sure) have a stack of about 3 broken 360s in my workshop right now, and that's only only a shadow of what's passed through it in the past 4 years. We'll just have to wait and see.

Kinect looks like an attempt to "revolutionize the living room" that might work ok for about 6 months then die. It just doesn't differ enough from the Wii controls and the EyeToy.

Move looks like it was well made, but still a copy of technology more or less.

But of course, that's just my opinion from information gathered by watching the E3 vids.
I think you're a little off on a few points.

The 3DS doesn't do head tracking. The 3D is visible only from a very specific area in front of the screen. Someone looking over your shoulder can't see it. Not really anything like what's in that video.

I actually have a lot of faith in the new 360. I would seriously doubt that Microsoft would allow this model to carry the same problems as the last few after the billions of dollars they lost with the RRoD. They've had this unit in the works for a while, too.

The technology of the Move and Kinect is incredibly fresh. Move may look similar to the Wii, but the technology behind it works opposite of the Wiimote and allows for way more accuracy. It's like comparing cake and steak and saying they're not different because they sound the same and you put them in your mouth. Kinect is probably the most fresh because it can track your location in 3D. Not as detailed as Sony's camera, but enough to make out fingers and such.
Ok, well;

I know that the 3DS doesn't actually use head tracking technology, because you don't have to wear anything on your head to use it. That being said, the 3DS won't have a way of knowing where your head is (unless it uses the camera to track the shape of your head, which is unlikely). I merely stated that it would probably be something "like" head tracking, as in, have the same results.

You can't say that I'm off on my opinion by giving another opinion. I have reasons for being wary of MS technology, so therein lies my lack of faith in the new 360.

The Move may be new, and it may be fresh, and it may even work well. But what does it do? Exactly what the Nitendo Wii Remote does. So in my mind, it's nothing but a fancy copy.

I have no idea what kind of experience the Kinect will bring us, but I'm not too excited. Like Ben said:
benheck wrote:Natal / Kinect: At least 200ms lag. IE, someone jumps, they've already landed before their character moves. Wii soccer moms won't care, real gamers should. Demos "bubbled" off to make lines longer / protect from inaccuracy. Games total Wii ripoff crap.
So please, I don't care if you have a differing opinion to mine, I love to hear other peoples opinions. But please don't go saying that I'm wrong about mine. That's just silly.
Go Here! On Your Wii!

Matt. 5:27

User avatar
samjc3
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:05 pm
Steam ID: samjc3
Location: burning and pillaging!!

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by samjc3 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:58 am

jones wrote:Note: The units we have seen at E3 are all sitting in these odd plastic sleeve things (probably to hold them in place) that manage to cover nearly half of the ventilation holes in the unit itself. Long story short, the ones at the show run hot but they'll probably be fine in your home. Unless, of course, you decide to cover half the vent holes. Then you'll probably have an oven on your hands.
god, does microsoft try to copulate everything they do up? it seems like every time they do something, there is something blatantly wrong with it, that would be easy to fix.

and Shiny black FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :wtf:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

User avatar
collinE
Posts: 891
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:07 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Contact:

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by collinE » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:32 pm

Mikeyman64 wrote: I know that the 3DS doesn't actually use head tracking technology, because you don't have to wear anything on your head to use it. That being said, the 3DS won't have a way of knowing where your head is (unless it uses the camera to track the shape of your head, which is unlikely). I merely stated that it would probably be something "like" head tracking, as in, have the same results.
And what I'm saying is "You are wrong, sir". It doesn't need to know where your head is. You have to put your head in the 3DS's predetermined sweet spot for the best effect.
Mikeyman64 wrote:You can't say that I'm off on my opinion by giving another opinion.
In fact, that's exactly what I can do. I didn't state that your opinion is off, I stated that I think your opinon is off. Which is another way of saying that I disagree with you. Basically, you like hearing people's opinions as long as they're in line with your opinion. Is that it?

I hate arguing semantics, but I think you're not reading correctly.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

User avatar
limpport
Senior Member
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: (the only person here from) Vermont
Contact:

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by limpport » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:44 pm

collinE wrote: And what I'm saying is "You are wrong, sir". It doesn't need to know where your head is. You have to put your head in the 3DS's predetermined sweet spot for the best effect.
You can adjust where the "sweet spot" is.

(taken from http://e3.nintendo.com/3ds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Other Input Controls:
3D Depth Slider to adjust level of 3D effect (can be scaled back or turned off completely depending on the preference of the user), Home button to call system function, Wireless switch to turn off wireless communications (even during game play), Power button. The telescoping stylus is approximately 4 inches when fully extended.

User avatar
Mikeyman64
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: End of the World, AWKI
Contact:

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by Mikeyman64 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:36 pm

collinE wrote:And what I'm saying is "You are wrong, sir". It doesn't need to know where your head is. You have to put your head in the 3DS's predetermined sweet spot for the best effect.

You obviously don't understand that I am speculating. I know that the 3DS doesn't use head tracking:
Mikeyman64 wrote:I know that the 3DS doesn't actually use head tracking technology, because you don't have to wear anything on your head to use it. That being said, the 3DS won't have a way of knowing where your head is (unless it uses the camera to track the shape of your head, which is unlikely).
So I am obviously saying that it uses a different technology.
collinE wrote:In fact, that's exactly what I can do. I didn't state that your opinion is off, I stated that I think your opinon is off. Which is another way of saying that I disagree with you. Basically, you like hearing people's opinions as long as they're in line with your opinion. Is that it?
That is not it, actually. I do enjoy hearing people opinions however different they are from mine. However, even though it's true that your method may be a way of disagreeing, it's probably one of the more abrasive ways. You could say 'I think you're wrong' or you could say 'I think differently'. You tell me which one is the friendlier way. A tactic that should be covered in the "how not to start a flame" section of any message boards ReadMe.

That's all I really have to say. I would rather not burden everyone else's sanity with two peoples retarded misunderstanding. Take it as you will.
Go Here! On Your Wii!

Matt. 5:27

User avatar
vskid
Senior Member
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:25 am
Steam ID: vskid3
Contact:

Re: New Xbox 360 Revealed; Shipping Now!

Post by vskid » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Disassembly pics. Looks like that board that was leaked a few months ago was legit.
Image

Post Reply