How to fix scratches on PS2 games.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Hifeno
Portablizer Extraordinaire
How to fix scratches on PS2 games.

Post by Hifeno » Tue May 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Does anyone know a way to remove or fix really scratched DVD's. PS2 games and such. My kids got into my game sleeve that had about 15 of my PS2 games in it. Needless to say they are scratched up pretty bad. I have seen the sites that you can send them too. I have checking with every video and video game store in my area and none of them offer repair service. I have heard that Drive doctors don't work. The only solution that I have seen that seems could be a solution is using a 3000 to 10000 grit sand paper and some buffing compound. Every video I have seen that uses this method seems to work. So does anyone on here know a better way or if this works? Thanks.
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

robm

Re: How to fix scratches on PS2 games.

Post by robm » Tue May 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Go down to your local Best Buy and get a disc resurfacer. They don't resurface anything, funnily enough, but they do buff out the scratches and such that kids tend to inflict on anything frisbee-like. I've got three myself, I bought one of these just for that reason. Does a great job.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Tue May 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Hifeno wrote:I have heard that Drive doctors don't work.
Nonsense. I've used my Disc Doctor on many PS2 games with great success. The key is patience and following the directions to the letter.

I have an older version of this: http://www.amazon.com/SkipDr-10183-Clas ... 041&sr=8-2
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue May 25, 2010 6:01 pm

My favorite method is a combination of car polishing compound and elbow grease. I like Turtle Wax polishing compound and Meuigar's Scratch-X, because they don't grind away more of the disc to match the scratches' depth. Just use a paper towel to apply it.

Toothpaste works in a pinch, but it's harder to clean off.

I've done this to a couple music CDs as a last resort for heavily scratched discs that only need to be read one last time: Hit the bottom of the disc with Pledge furniture polish and read it in an old drive you don't care about.

Hifeno

Post by Hifeno » Tue May 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Will high grit sandpaper work or not?
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue May 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Yes, but remember to keep the area wet so the sandpaper doesn't get bound up with plastic dust.

How bad are the discs?

Hifeno

Post by Hifeno » Tue May 25, 2010 6:19 pm

Some are worse than others. When you run your finger over it you feel the scratch.
That's Hacking Awsome

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Wed May 26, 2010 5:59 pm

Take a look at the label/art on the disc. Put it up to a light. If you can see light through it (like a gleem of light caused by the scratch being deep), then it is toast. There is no fix. The data layer has been damaged. Do this before wasting time on any disk repair.

Hifeno

Post by Hifeno » Wed May 26, 2010 8:16 pm

I know that. The label side is fine on all of them. I want to fix these so I don't have to replace them. The sanding idea may be working for me. I have been trying it today on a disc that don't matter and it is working pretty well. I could only find 2000 grit sandpaper though no 3000 or higher. That might help.
That's Hacking Awsome

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sat May 29, 2010 9:01 am

2000grit is way to low. Polish compounds like bic posted range in the 10,000 grit range.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:37 pm

I personally use the toothpaste method, I've heard you can use peanut butter, but I've never tried it (or am willing to admit that I've tried it!). That method is really only a temporary fix, if you really want them fixed you should resurface them with some machine or do-hicky thing.

official xbox fiend

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:19 pm

The system will lick peanut butter off of the disc from anywhere.

Anywhere...
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

onehand54

Post by onehand54 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:00 am

i use to have ur problem untill i found a game exchange down here in arkansasit would cost me $3;00 a piece to fix each oneit would work perfect and take em out except for the deep ones but i lived wit themidon't know if u have them where your at but i wouldn't drive all the way down her just to have em fixed but there should be a good one in your areara to do this for ueveven on my pc ones it would work just gotta find one you can trust ask loacal kids where tey go to to have this done would be easier?foyou in stead of driving around so much wasing gas to find some onekid gamers no wher everingthing is atthat would be tour best bet in the long runi've tryed the buffers to do it but to no availsomegameexchange should be able to point u in the right dicrection good buisness that waywhish i could help u with more sry:(

greg johnson/akaoldman1hand@gmail.com gl. bro

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:17 am

This is why Modchips are good. Saves your original. Especially if it is a collectors edition or something.

Take it to one of those disc cleaners at video stores. Those work REALLY well.

I also herd toothpaste can fix it, but I have never tried it as I have a disc cleaner myself.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:14 pm

This thread is over a year old...