Anybody familiar with this short story?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

collinE
Anybody familiar with this short story?

Post by collinE » Tue May 11, 2010 10:59 pm

It was science fiction, but from the perspective of these natives. Some people from this tribe were burned, some were kidnapped by "monsters" which were really hazmat people dressed in the radiation suit things. In the process of running through this facility rescuing the captives, one native kills a hazmat person and skins him and wears his skin as a disguise, but really it was just the suit. It had some twist and it was like "he didn't tell anyone else, but to us he said that underneath it's skin, it looked just like you or me"

At the end of the story it just has a short little blurb in technical language that revealed it was a quarantine area with researchers and not a bunch of monster people.

I read it when I was little and I've forgotten what it is. Any help would be appreciated.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Master Kirby

Re: Anybody familiar with this short story?

Post by Master Kirby » Wed May 12, 2010 10:20 am

I remember reading the same story years ago. If I had to take a guess, I would say it may be a short story by Arthur C Clarke.

When I first read your description, I thought you were talking about "Battlefield Earth", due to your reference to natives (the main character grew up in a tribe of human survivors), people being burned (radiation poisoning) and monsters in Hazmat suits (the aliens had to breath different air, though they didn't need full body suits).

collinE

Post by collinE » Wed May 12, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks, I'll try to scour some of his short stories and see if I find it. Is Battlefield Earth that John Travolta movie? :lol: Terrible.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Wed May 12, 2010 11:25 pm

collinE wrote:Thanks, I'll try to scour some of his short stories and see if I find it. Is Battlefield Earth that John Travolta movie? :lol: Terrible.
Before it was a horrible movie it was a book by L. Ron Hubbard.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Master Kirby

Post by Master Kirby » Thu May 13, 2010 6:04 am

collinE wrote:Thanks, I'll try to scour some of his short stories and see if I find it. Is Battlefield Earth that John Travolta movie? :lol: Terrible.
That movie had very little in common with the book. The book is a huge epic 1000+ page adventure that I would definitely recommend for any Scifi fan.