My Birthday!! Gimme Presents! >:)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

smitty
Re: My Birthday!! Gimme Presents! >:)

Post by smitty » Mon May 03, 2010 7:01 pm

I don't even think we have a local Dairy Queen.. So I guess I won't be working there. And as for other kids I know with jobs, that'd be a no, most kids I know get their $50/mo. cell phone bills paid for them by their parents, and get hundreds of dollars worth of gifts for Christmas. :wtf: And as for
high school should've taught you that
I'm only in 8th grade. :P Thanks for the tips! :)
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Mon May 03, 2010 7:12 pm

smitty wrote:I don't even think we have a local Dairy Queen.. So I guess I won't be working there. And as for other kids I know with jobs, that'd be a no, most kids I know get their $50/mo. cell phone bills paid for them by their parents, and get hundreds of dollars worth of gifts for Christmas. :wtf: And as for
high school should've taught you that
I'm only in 8th grade. :P Thanks for the tips! :)
Other possibilities besides Dairy Queen:
• McDonald's (or other fast food places)
• Coffee shops (think Panera etc)
• Movie theaters
Don't forget the less-official jobs:
• Lawn mowing
• Babysitting
• Tutoring

Basically my advice is just start looking. Walk in to the store (whatever it is) and just ask if they hire starting at 14. Oftentimes this amount of initiative is all that is needed to land you a job. :wink: And don't ever forget the golden rule of interviewing: you want the job because you love *insert company* not because you want money (even though you really only want the job for money). Dressing reasonably nice helps a ton too - don't apply for this level of job with a suit and tie, but a tucked-in polo shirt with khaki pants presents an image that you're serious about getting the job.

My advice is my birthday present to you. Happy after-birthday! :D
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

limpport

Post by limpport » Mon May 03, 2010 10:47 pm

To sort of follow what jdmlight was saying, a clean haircut can make quite a difference. My friend had long hair. He kept it well, but it still sorta looked raggity. He cut most of it off (from about 14 inches to about 2) just for job interviews. He wanted to make a good impression.

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue May 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Ooh, we have a Panera nearby, and I love that place, but it's expensive, so we don't go there often. I think I might ask there, but I'll have to ask my parents first. Pretty much all I do is surf the web all day, I have no homework, like ever, so I think they'll like me having something worthwhile to do. As for the appearance thing, I'm thinking khaki-type-ish shorts, since it's over 80 and it's barely May. My hair is a little bit raggedy, it's not nearly as long as I used to have it, but I think(and fear) it's starting to curl, so it doesn't look as nice. Recently I became a fan of buzzing my hair, I may do it again if it starts to make my forehead hot.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Tue May 04, 2010 4:55 pm

smitty wrote:Ooh, we have a Panera nearby, and I love that place, but it's expensive, so we don't go there often. I think I might ask there, but I'll have to ask my parents first. Pretty much all I do is surf the web all day, I have no homework, like ever, so I think they'll like me having something worthwhile to do. As for the appearance thing, I'm thinking khaki-type-ish shorts, since it's over 80 and it's barely May. My hair is a little bit raggedy, it's not nearly as long as I used to have it, but I think(and fear) it's starting to curl, so it doesn't look as nice. Recently I became a fan of buzzing my hair, I may do it again if it starts to make my forehead hot.
Wear pants. It doesn't matter how hot it is outside, pants look more professional than shorts. (as an example I work at Target, and we're required to wear khaki pants all year 'round (with the exception of the cart attendant, because that would just be mean))

Side benefit: if you get hired at Panera, you probably get an employee discount/free food/free leftovers. :D (similar to how ketchup gets free ice cream by working at Dairy Queen)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue May 04, 2010 8:43 pm

I would rather not pass out from heat... :? It's almost happened to me a few times, it's not a fun feeling, and I suspect neither is waking up in the middle of the day and not knowing where you are.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue May 04, 2010 8:51 pm

Well, it's not like you have to wear those pants all day long...you can take them off after you're finished and on your way home :roll:
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue May 04, 2010 10:13 pm

smitty wrote:I would rather not pass out from heat... :? It's almost happened to me a few times, it's not a fun feeling, and I suspect neither is waking up in the middle of the day and not knowing where you are.
Do you not sweat? Or wear a coat during the summer?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed May 05, 2010 12:20 am

Slacks aren't thick like denim, and if you're working inside there's bound to be air conditioning. You'll survive.

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed May 05, 2010 11:48 am

Metallica Man X wrote:Well, it's not like you have to wear those pants all day long...you can take them off after you're finished and on your way home :roll:
Yup, and I can put them on in the car on the way there. :mrgreen:
vskid wrote:
smitty wrote:I would rather not pass out from heat... :? It's almost happened to me a few times, it's not a fun feeling, and I suspect neither is waking up in the middle of the day and not knowing where you are.
Do you not sweat? Or wear a coat during the summer?
Yes, I do sweat, but no, I don't wear a coat during the summer. That's pretty much asking for heat exhaustion.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed May 05, 2010 12:14 pm

Hydrate more.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 pm

jjhammerstein wrote:Hydrate more.
Pretty sure drinking extra water won't help if you're wearing a coat when it's 95 degrees out... :wink:
And I do drink a lot of water in the summer, especially when I'm outside.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed May 05, 2010 1:20 pm

That's me, in 3 pairs of pants, 2 shirts, and 60 pounds of metal armor. It's 80 degrees in that picture, but I've fought in hotter. Just drink water. Gallons.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed May 05, 2010 1:34 pm

60 pounds of armor!? That would crush me in an instant, I only weigh 90 lbs. And gallons seems overdoing it, for me. I won't be wearing 60 pounds of armor, and I don't want to have to take multiple potty breaks during an interview... I do suppose I should drink some extra water, but quite honestly I'd still rather not wear long pants. But if it seem so necessary to you guys, I'll wear them whenever I decide to go and ask for an interview. By the way, when do you guys think I should ask for an interview, if I want to start working when school lets out? (June 13th is my graduation)

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed May 05, 2010 1:41 pm

smitty wrote:But if it seem so necessary to you guys, I'll wear them whenever I decide to go and ask for an interview.
Oh yes, it definitely is necessary. Why? Because people "aren't supposed to look at how you dress" when making a decision about hiring you. But how you dress tells them a lot about you - if you show up in a polo and nicer pants, they will think you're serious about getting a job. If you show up in shorts and a T-shirt, they will think you're not as serious about getting a job.
smitty wrote: By the way, when do you guys think I should ask for an interview, if I want to start working when school lets out? (June 13th is my graduation)
NOW. It's always a good idea to start looking around sooner, if they offer you the job you can always say "hey I can start June 13th." June 13th is only about a month away - getting a job can take a little bit. Plus, asking to start in a few weeks is in no way unreasonable.