What's your nerdiest/geekiest moment?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

mako321
Re: What's your nerdiest/geekiest moment?

Post by mako321 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:53 pm

I think you just had your geekiest moment :lol:

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:00 pm

what was probably my geekiest moment occured about a year ago at work....one of the routers in the server room at the place I work at decided to burn out...which left everyone unable to work as that was the one that hooked to all the factory computers. Well, I broke into the server room...and fixed it lol.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

cennar

Post by cennar » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:17 pm

losing my virginity and still logging on to this site like 6 years latter...

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:30 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:what was probably my geekiest moment occured about a year ago at work....one of the routers in the server room at the place I work at decided to burn out...which left everyone unable to work as that was the one that hooked to all the factory computers. Well, I broke into the server room...and fixed it lol.
Never broke into a room to fix a router problem. But I do always carry a spare Linksys wifi router in my backpack.... Unfortunately it's the newer black ones. So they don't have the option to have like db10 antenna and I'm unsure if I should even bother with flashing the firmware with the hacked Cisco firmware. But yeah....

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Get a used Cisco Aironet 1200 on eBay. Those suckers can broadcast a lot further than the consumer grade stuff you find at Best Buy (and you can completely disable the web interface so nobody can screw with it without a console cable).

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:06 am

gamemasterAS wrote:http://imgur.com/KX8yf.jpg

Just my desk in general.

4 LCDs
1 Laptop
2 Pairs of Sennheiser headphones
1 360
2 specialty Rubik's cubes
1 Linksy's router with a light up fan on it.

I think this is probably the geekiest thing tied to my name.
:shock: Do want.

My nerdiest moment? That's a really tough one. I've had a lot...
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:28 pm

Well, I'm pretty much the class nerd. Out of 42 13-14 year olds, I am one of 2 who has ever heard of linux, the only one that uses it, and I've been able to fix most of the computer problems that would normally require a visit from the computer teacher.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:16 pm

smitty wrote:Well, I'm pretty much the class nerd. Out of 42 13-14 year olds, I am one of 2 who has ever heard of linux, the only one that uses it, and I've been able to fix most of the computer problems that would normally require a visit from the computer teacher.
The only guy that age I ever knew that had heard of Linux pronounced it Lee-nix. :? :o :| :wtf: :facepalm:
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:49 pm

smitty wrote:Well, I'm pretty much the class nerd.
^^That's me!

I thought of a particularly nerdy moment: I needed to get a file from my computer at home (it was due in about 5 minutes XD), so I sftp'd in, grabbed it, and printed it quick before the teacher noticed.

I do stuff like that all the time. Including VNCing into a computer two feet away. :lol:
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:13 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:
smitty wrote:Well, I'm pretty much the class nerd. Out of 42 13-14 year olds, I am one of 2 who has ever heard of linux, the only one that uses it, and I've been able to fix most of the computer problems that would normally require a visit from the computer teacher.
The only guy that age I ever knew that had heard of Linux pronounced it Lee-nix. :? :o :| :wtf: :facepalm:
Well, Linus Torvalds himself kind of pronounces it that way, though I'm sure that's mostly because of his accent. http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciatio ... -linux.ogg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:22 am

Ooh, definitely just thought of my nerdiest moment! My graduation party was a Starcraft/Diablo II LAN party.

I supplied all the computers.

All 8 of them.

(I did borrow one or two from my dad)

smitty

Post by smitty » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:42 pm

SpongeBuell wrote:
lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:
Well, Linus Torvalds himself kind of pronounces it that way, though I'm sure that's mostly because of his accent. http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciatio ... -linux.ogg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So either the kid knew that, he had an accent, or is just stupid.
jdmlight wrote:Ooh, definitely just thought of my nerdiest moment! My graduation party was a Starcraft/Diablo II LAN party.

I supplied all the computers.

All 8 of them.

(I did borrow one or two from my dad)
8!? The only that is technically mine is my laptop. And this desktop here is pretty much also mine. But, we do have 7 computers around the house. And possibly a few in the garage. I know we have some spare parts in there.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

desertman123
PSN Username:Desertman123

Post by desertman123 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:42 pm

I sent a dude a note in class saying:
"@echo off
DEL "C:/windows/system32"

He understood :D

The same guy is like the only person in school (becides me) who knows what linux is, or a console older than a N64.
Word to the wise: DON'T THROW ELECTRONICS AWAY!!!

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:29 pm

bicostp wrote:Get a used Cisco Aironet 1200 on eBay. Those suckers can broadcast a lot further than the consumer grade stuff you find at Best Buy (and you can completely disable the web interface so nobody can screw with it without a console cable).
Whats the firmware on those thing like? Does it have a ton of options like DD-Wrt and Tomato have? Or maybe even a port of one of those?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:52 pm

They're real APs (not routers; they don't do that) designed for corporate offices and warehouses full of flourescent lights and concrete walls. Cisco's IOS does have enterprise-level flexibility, but they're not as simple to set up as the $30 things you get at Wal-Mart. They do 802.11 a/b, the newer models do a/b/g. (You need a special antenna to do A, because of the frequency difference.)

The difference is in how much power they've got. We have one my dad's work was throwing away, and at full power I got a reliable signal with my laptop's built-in WiFi over 350' away, through walls, trees, and another house. At quarter power it's enough to do the entire house and yard. They're really reliable too; we plugged ours in a couple years ago and haven't had to touch it since.

And no, it cannot run DD-WRT. It has a 200 mhz PowerPC, but they haven't bothered to support its wireless controller or figure out how to overwrite the stock system. I don't know why you'd even want to when you've got IOS to play with...