What's your nerdiest/geekiest moment?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: What's your nerdiest/geekiest moment?

Post by thewise1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:30 pm

Sounds fun.

But it's still a mac. :wtf:

Sorry, I hate macs with a burning passion, they stole my childhood. And steve jobs won't give it back.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:22 pm

this is under emulation but i have the hardware to do it for real (in theory at least) now.
this is amiga os 3.5 running ibrowse 2.4 with highGFX (1024x768 resolution) :mrgreen:

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:42 pm

Speaking of burning passions, I hate Microsoft. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, their products suck. Windows is slow and buggy as hell, the Xbox is fat, loud, and doesn't have games that interest me. Although I must admit, they make a quality USB mouse. :mrgreen:
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:51 pm

smitty wrote:Speaking of burning passions, I hate Microsoft. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, their products suck. Windows is slow and buggy as hell, the Xbox is fat, loud, and doesn't have games that interest me. Although I must admit, they make a quality USB mouse. :mrgreen:
Don't forget that the 360 overheats like a mothercopulater.

I'll join in on the Microsoft-hating. :mrgreen:

(woohoo let's turn the "What's your nerdiest moment?" thread into a windows/mac/linux argument, THAT's not ironic or anything :lol: )
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:01 pm

Oooh someone else that hates Microsoft!! :D :D I like Linux. It's fast and reliable. Except Ubuntu. Then it's slow, but super compatible and reliable. Actually, you were talking about Macs earlier, weren't you? Hmm... I dunno, I've never used a Mac. Like ever. Except that time I emulated OS 7 on my DS... But that didn't really count, since the emulator didn't have networking, so it really wasn't usable.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:24 pm

smitty wrote:Oooh someone else that hates Microsoft!! :D :D I like Linux. It's fast and reliable. Except Ubuntu. Then it's slow, but super compatible and reliable. Actually, you were talking about Macs earlier, weren't you? Hmm... I dunno, I've never used a Mac. Like ever. Except that time I emulated OS 7 on my DS... But that didn't really count, since the emulator didn't have networking, so it really wasn't usable.
Oh man, I feel so old because I remember a time when computers were usable when they weren't on a network!
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:30 pm

smitty wrote:Oooh someone else that hates Microsoft!! :D :D I like Linux. It's fast and reliable. Except Ubuntu. Then it's slow, but super compatible and reliable. Actually, you were talking about Macs earlier, weren't you? Hmm... I dunno, I've never used a Mac. Like ever. Except that time I emulated OS 7 on my DS... But that didn't really count, since the emulator didn't have networking, so it really wasn't usable.
I'm a Mac guy. I do like that you're honest and say "I've never tried it" rather than "It's terrible because it's not what I'm used to." On the same token, I've tried Linux a few times and I just feel so inexperienced. My past experiences have consisted of me installing Linux, using it for a few weeks, then messing something up REALLY bad and then not bothering to reinstall...

I'll get around to trying Linux for a longer period of time eventually. I'm taking a Unix course this next semester, who knows, I might give Linux another go then.

(I only have Windows for games, and even that won't be for much longer, Steam is coming to the Mac very soon! :D :D :D Plus I have my PS2 and NES, I intend to expand my console collection by starting with the addition of an n64. I like console games.)
Black Six wrote:Oh man, I feel so old because I remember a time when computers were usable when they weren't on a network!
Don't worry, I remember that time too. There were quite a few good games from that time period. (Doom, Duke Nukem, etc.) That was also when the internet was just a fun toy (lolDialup).
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:49 pm

smitty wrote:Although I must admit, they make a quality USB mouse. :mrgreen:
I love my Microsoft mouse. Much more comfortable than "ergonomic" mice.
My OS of choice is Windows (specifically XP, at least until I get a newer computer). I know how to do everything I need to do. Linux is ok, but it isn't quite mature enough for me to use it on a main computer. I've never used a Mac and don't plan on it. Seems silly for me to switch when Windows is fine for me, and Apple's computer lineup doesn't have anything that fits my needs. But to each his own.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:30 am

ive used macs and windows and various linux's , i prefer windows
if EVERYONE used linux, it would win hands down

no this does not make me an overweight glasses wearing nerd, i am a music student and no mac is not better IMO for music

my nerdiest moment to date was sparked by a friend
we were at an eighteenth party (effectively 21st in america) and half way through the night we saw a nintendo 64 controller with super smash bros;
we both play smash 64 online competitively but had never vsd each othe ron a lag-free console before

so we were both super excited and a bit tipsy when we began, 20 minutes a chick walks in front of the screen WITHOUT KINDLY ASKING TO PAUSE
cue yelling/shouting
Friend: WTF
me: Seriously Wtf
Friend: Just GTFO
girl runs off nearly in tears

all the guys in the room were laughing there heads OFF
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:09 am

Black Six wrote: Oh man, I feel so old because I remember a time when computers were usable when they weren't on a network!
I remember setting up DOS 7 with IBID software (V10.1 i think) on a 386 with a floppy drive only. Then having to jerry rig two cash register terminals to the 386 "brain" with all the receipt printers and the like. Serial protocols for the data. And boy when that 386 bit the dust it due to psu failure it was a tough time trying to reclaim the entire inventory and sales from the tape drive backup. The HDD in the 386 blew and the backup was connected at the time. Had to find the identical tape drive on ebay and swap out the PCBs. Thankfully it all worked. Bought a 486 to replace the 386 and redid all the software. Boot times went down 10 seconds!

That bookstore now runs a different system because I went to college and couldn't maintain the old (20yrs!) system.

Yah fixing that tape drive definitely ranks up there. Problem is when your an EE major you have "nerd" moments all the time and its expected.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:46 pm

I feel so left out from some you, the oldest OS I've actually had installed on my computer was Windows 98, until I think about November of '08, we got a newer computer, but it had XP and ran about as fast as a rock, so my older brother installed Xubuntu on it. January '09, we got an even newer computer (this time it was 1.3 GHz - scary fast, eh?) that could actually use XP, but in a few days I had it dual-booting Ubuntu and used them pretty much the same amount, using XP mostly for games. (all of which are at least as old as 2002, mostly from the late 90's) Then I started using Ubuntu more and more, and I wanted more disk space, I only had a 10GB hard drive for Ubuntu, but a 20GB for XP, so I deleted Windows completely, and was back to just having Linux. I think that was in the summer, and I haven't reinstalled Windows since. I have Windows Me on my laptop, but I've installed and removed Linux so many times, (switching distros) I'm not sure it boots anymore, it's not part of my current Grub.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:11 pm

@rekarp - yeah, it always seems that I'm asked by family members for anything and everything technologically related, feaseable or not. Yesterday, I was asked if I could take audio of a concert recorded on a cellphone and "make it so you can understand the words." :roll:

@Smitty - Windows ME? Yeah, even I'd prefer Linux to that...

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:36 pm

The only reason I keep Me is because it works with all my Windows games, and if I installed 98, I'd have to set up wireless and reinstall the games, and it just seems so tedious, to reinstall something that already works, for an OLDER version.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:00 pm

Rekarp wrote:your an EE major
You know you're a nerd when you cringe at that :P
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:16 pm

eagle5953 wrote:@Smitty - WindowsME? Yeah, even I'd prefer Linux to that...
If you set it up properly its no worse than 98SE. but with better support for hardware etc. sure it still blows compared to XP and the like but it works. i used it for several years on one of my old laptops, and it worked fairly well, that computer was messed up but it wasnt winMEs fault, it was mine for treating it like crap :lol: