2010 Post Your Ride thread! 56k beware!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3
Re: 2010 Post Your Ride thread! 56k beware!

Post by vskid » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:25 pm

Harshboy wrote:The only pictures that I have of my car are the ones I took after it was in an accident so I'll leave those here, here, and here, and a stock image is below.]
What did you do? Looks like it got friendly with a curb.
bicostp wrote:I want to see GM bring the Holden Commodore stateside, and make a proper attempt at it. (I know the 2000s GTO was the same damn car, but it was never really marketed well.)

Call it an Impala so a good car name isn't slapped on a bucket of beige front wheel drive wallpaper paste anymore.
Bring the Ute version as well, slap a federal front end on it, call it an El Camino.
Build a station wagon derivative, call it the Nomad.

In return, Ford can start selling the Mustang in Australia. (I'm pretty sure they work upside-down.)
The G8 was almost an exact copy of the Commodore sedan, it even kept the window and lock controls in the center. I think all they changed was which side the driver sits on and whatever emissions and safety crap was required here.
Ford should bring the Falcon here. I mean, the Mustang and other muscle cars are bloated, why not add another set of doors and a decent rear seat for only a few hundred pounds more and have a sport sedan that is actually usable as a family car. I would love a G8 GT. The only reason I'm not getting one is insurance costs would probably be through the roof, and I would almost surely wrap it around a tree. 8)

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:04 pm

vskid wrote:What did you do? Looks like it got friendly with a curb.
Oh yeah it got real friendly with a curb alright...friendly at a good 40 mph. The accident happened around 10PM a few months ago. Me and a friend were driving and there was a deer that ran into the road so i went around it but the whole car went over the curb. This is what happens when you live in the middle of nowhere, it isn't the first time I've seen a deer in the road or cross the road in front of me. I almost hit a telephone pole too, good thing I didn't. 2 weeks later and $6000 (Thank you Insurance company) later I had my car back and I'm all happy now.

vskid

Post by vskid » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:28 am

Yay, I was correct. That sucks, it must have damaged just about everything under there for it to cost 6 grand to fix.

I'm still carless for another month or so. I'm not sure what I want to get. Either an economy car ('96-00 Civic, maybe a Toyota Matrix or Ford Focus), a small pickup (Ranger, Tacoma, Frontier), or my dad's '94 F-350 (if he ends up selling it). Economy car is nice for economy, small truck would be nice for the sandmobile I want to make while still getting ok mileage, my dad's truck has awesome torque and room, but even with extensive mods might not even match the stock mileage for the smaller trucks. I'll probably check out all of them when I go home for Christmas and go with what feels best.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:04 am

i really want an MZ20 or JZZ20 soarer. there is one for sale on craigslist in canada for 3700$ :lol: they are pretty sexy cars tho, too bad they never came to america :(

and in case anybody has any doubts, yes i have a (borderline unhealthy) obsession with 80s cars :lol: :lol: the newest car i have ever owned is a 1992. this is the list of cars i have owned/do own (not my parents but actually mine)

1992 BMW E36 325IS (coupe, I6, 5spd, paid $600 sold for $1250)
1990 volvo 740 turbo wagon (auto, 2.3l I4, paid $850 sold for $1150)
1987 VW cabriolet wolfsburg edition (triple white, 1.8l I4, 5spd paid 870 still own)
1987 Subaru XT GL-10 (1.8 H4, 5spd, turbo, full time 4wd, rusted, paid $450 pending $500 sale)
1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 Deluxe (350ci v8, auto, badass. paid $1200)

of course those prices dont reflect things like repairs, replacing parts etc

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:53 am

MY stepdad is picking up a 2002 Crown Vic. Its Ex-Cop Car! Haha. Still has the metal rammer on the front, and even the lights [if he wants them.]

$2000. :) Pretty good price, since it still has all the engine upgrades.

vskid

Post by vskid » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:43 am

HotDog-Cart wrote:MY stepdad is picking up a 2002 Crown Vic. Its Ex-Cop Car! Haha. Still has the metal rammer on the front, and even the lights [if he wants them.]

$2000. :) Pretty good price, since it still has all the engine upgrades.
I don't know if they do things differently in Canada, but here in the US, the '02 Police Interceptor made the same power as a normal Crown Vic. And I don't think many (any?) police departments upgrade their cars (no one can outrun a radio and backup). You still get heavy duty everything, though. 8)

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:00 pm

I believe in Canada, they are police tuned. Gotta be able to keep up with stuff. lol. Its a nice carr

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:07 pm

I am 20, and still don't have my own car, because the only cars I can afford, I would write off at least once every year in &@#%ing insurance.

I am not fortunate enough to have mommy and daddy buy me a nice friggin' car, and pay the insurance. Not Pointing fingers here, just sayin'.
Last edited by Jongamer on Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Jongamer wrote:I am 20, and still don't have my own car, because the only cars I can afford, I would write off at least once every year in #$@#ing insurance.

I am not fortunate enough to have mommy and daddy buy me a nice friggin' car, and pay the insurance. Not Pointing fingers here, just sayin'.
I pay my own insurance, and this is why I have no money. :lol: My car *was* a gift from my uncle, but I would have saved up to buy one (and forgone other things, like my macbook pro).
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:21 pm

jdmlight wrote:
Jongamer wrote:I am 20, and still don't have my own car, because the only cars I can afford, I would write off at least once every year in #$@#ing insurance.

I pay my own insurance, and this is why I have no money. :lol: My car *was* a gift from my uncle, but I would have saved up to buy one (and forgone other things, like my macbook pro).
Like I said, I wasn't pointing fingers.

All I can say is &@#% the Insurance companies, they make the highest profits of any business, yet they label anyone young as "High Risk" and have to pay out the ass for insurance. It would cost me double what what my parents pay, that's &@#%ed up. $300+ every 6 months? I could pay that. $600+ &@#% No!! That's not worth it. not for a beater POS car.

Sorry bout all my ranting.
Last edited by Jongamer on Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Jongamer wrote:
jdmlight wrote:

Like I said, I wasn't pointing fingers.

All I can say if #$@% the Insurance companies, they make the highest profits of any business, yet they label anyone young as "High Risk" and have to pay out the ass for insurance. It would cost me double what what my parents pay, that's $@#%ed up.
Finger-pointing not taken. :wink: Just pointing out the fact that I pay insurance, and that's about all I can afford (that and gas).

Yep, costs me double what my parents pay. It really, really sucks. Costs me something in the neighborhood of $800 every six months. Which is why I have no pity for other people my age (around 20) who don't have to pay their car insurance (or at least not all of it).

Insurance companies suck. Seriously, I could buy a pretty decent used car every three years for what I pay in insurance...
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:59 pm

I had to put a quart of oil into the car today because it was below the hash marks on the dipstick. It only has 90k miles on it, and I changed the oil about 2000 miles ago. From what I've read on model-specific forums, this is considered "like new". WTF GM. :wtf:

1999 Saturn SL, SOHC. Not much torque, but 36 MPG combined city/highway on the cheap stuff. :mrgreen: (Combining a fresh oil change, wash & wax, new filters. and a couple extra pounds in each tire got me 43 once.)

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:09 pm

I have had a friend go through 3 different cars (and truck), only one of which he ever had insurance on.

one was, I believe a 91 Honda Civic, all it really needed was a new hood, and muffler brace, then the transmission started slipping, so he sold it for $600. (This was the car only car he had insurance on)

Then he got a 99 Chevy Lumina from his Uncle for $300, needed a major tuneup, was told it should be scrapped and not worth it. he put about $100+ into it in repairs, and it was running beautifully, then a few month later he decided he needed a truck, so he replaced the now failing water-pump.

Then Traded it for a 94' Ford F150 XLT extended bed and cab with the straight 6 Motor, truck had allot of mechanical problems, from being run on broken leaf-spring brackets for 6 months, to really bad ball joints, bald tires, and a bent rim, but the motor was solid, and A/C and Heat worked liked it just came off the Assembly Line. He completely regrets trading the Lumina for it, and only got $800 for it when he sold it. (Had to sell it fast)

He Repaired all but the bent rim, and tires

I believe I actually have pictures on my phone. *digs em up*

vskid

Post by vskid » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:55 pm

Jongamer wrote:I am 20, and still don't have my own car, because the only cars I can afford, I would write off at least once every year in &@#%ing insurance.
I hate insurance. I still have about 6 years until I can get a half decent rate. I'm 19, male, but no accidents or citations in the 3 years I've had my license. I can fortunately get liability for as about $70-80 a month under my parents (that's with the multi-car discount, there will be 5 cars on their insurance when I get mine).
bicostp wrote:1999 Saturn SL, SOHC. Not much torque, but 36 MPG combined city/highway on the cheap stuff. :mrgreen: (Combining a fresh oil change, wash & wax, new filters. and a couple extra pounds in each tire got me 43 once.)
How much air in the tires? Most hypermilers say going to the sidewall pressure doesn't hurt the tire wear. Is it burning the oil or is there a leak? Our '94 Civic with 260k miles uses about a quart between changes, according to the previous owner.