2010 Post Your Ride thread! 56k beware!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp
Re: 2010 Post Your Ride thread! 56k beware!

Post by bicostp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:33 am

35 front, 32 rear. I got lazy and let the fronts go down into the high 20s and it didn't seem to affect mileage much.

From what I've read, the engines GM designed for the S series didn't allow for enough seepage from the combustion chamber back into the bottom end, so they all burn oil to some extent. A few people said they have to put in a quart every 800 miles, which is just ridiculous. Both the SOHC and DOHC engines had the same oil consumption problem, since they were essentially the same except for the head and ECU. By way of contrast, the 1974 D200 yard truck we have has had the same oil in it since 1992, and hasn't burned off a noticeable amount yet. :lol: Another point for the indestructible Chrysler RG engine! (Then again it's put on maybe 12 miles in that time... Lots of running, but it doesn't go too far.)

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:22 am

From the wiki about my soon-to-be-mine Police Interceptor: "come equipped with many heavy duty parts such as a revised transmission, and a 250 hp (190 kW) engine." Woot woot.

Also has some reinforced suspension/drive train. :3

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:29 am

HotDog-Cart wrote:From the wiki about my soon-to-be-mine Police Interceptor: "come equipped with many heavy duty parts such as a revised transmission, and a 250 hp (190 kW) engine." Woot woot.
If you look further down in the page, it says the 250hp engine was used from '04 on. Still, there's maybe a 10hp difference between the two.
bicostp wrote:35 front, 32 rear. I got lazy and let the fronts go down into the high 20s and it didn't seem to affect mileage much.
I would try bumping them up to 40psi if the side wall is rated for it. Could add an MPG or two.

Michaelthurston
Steam ID:MichaelThurston

Post by Michaelthurston » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:42 pm

Hmm. I can't believe I never posted in this thread before.

This is my first Car, a 1990 RS Camaro, with a 305 5.0L V8. I've done a lot of work on it so far, mostly body, but some mechanical.

I paid $1000 for it, and so far I've replaced the bad water pump, a leaky radiator hose, Changed both the Engine oil and the trans fluid, replaced the entire front bumper(including the metal, shock absorber, and front clip), the fenders, and the hood. Eventually I'll be getting it painted, but for now It's running right as rain after the tune up I gave it.(I still need to replace the plugs and wires, though.)

image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Shown in the back of the third picture is the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 that I will be getting when I go off to college.
Completed Projects:
Un-named N64p
Abstract 64
Abstract 64 v.2
Rcube
Thursty64

No. More. Commissions.

Currently Owned(In Response to WeaponEpsilon):

21 Platforms; 38 Individual Consoles; 380 Singular games(0 Duplicates!)

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:45 pm

My dad used to have a 79 Z28 camaro with a built 350 smallblock and a 3 speed manual, it was a beast.

Michaelthurston
Steam ID:MichaelThurston

Post by Michaelthurston » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Triton wrote:My dad used to have a 79 Z28 camaro with a built 350 smallblock and a 3 speed manual, it was a beast.
I've been looking to swap my lil' ol 305 for a small block 350. I even had one that I was going to buy for around I think it was..$50? It needed to be totally rebuilt, but it was complete! But the guy backed down when I showed up cash in hand. Jackass. My motor isn't horrible or anything, but I'm only pushing around 230HP
Completed Projects:
Un-named N64p
Abstract 64
Abstract 64 v.2
Rcube
Thursty64

No. More. Commissions.

Currently Owned(In Response to WeaponEpsilon):

21 Platforms; 38 Individual Consoles; 380 Singular games(0 Duplicates!)

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:10 pm

305s are good motors but if you can get a 350 you should LT1 if you can find one, any half ton or larger pickup from the 70s should have a 4 bolt if it had a 350. vortec heads (cheaper than the old fuelies) balance and blueprint the entire rotating assembly (pistons rods and crank) and rebuild the heads if they need it, TPI intake and megasquirt it, throw some coilovers, chassis braces, sway bars, and a strut tower brace on it and you have a 300hp (more or less) beast of a car :D

old picture of my olds' old 350 :lol: its out of an early 70s pickup according to the stamps on the block. holley carb and single exhaust right now, gonna relocate the fuel filter (horrible spot for it) and going to upgrade to true duals to help it breathe a little better

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:52 pm

I don't have a car right now. I used to have a 86' F-150 a few years ago, but I gave it away.

Since I start Community Collage Classes on January. My Dad is getting his 96' Ford Ranger's transmission fixed for me to use. And I'll be driving it for now. Here's pictures of the truck:
Spoiler:
I do have my eyes on a car near my house I want thats for sale near my house. It's a 81'(?) Pontiac Bonneville. I don't have the money to get it right now though. Here are pictures of it anyways:
Spoiler:

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Rangers are awesome, I was able to borrow my Uncle's 99' Ranger Sport for a good portion of last week. Has the 3.0L Vulcan V6. Great drive in the dry, any sort of rain with no weight in the back, and the thing fishtails everywhere.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:00 pm

@nightwheel:

Get yourself some 150 grit and some white Rustoleum and paint the areas I circled. Now. Keep it from getting worse. Because eventually the water rusts through around a drip rail or window, where it enters and eventually makes its way to the floor, where it has nowhere to drain. Eventually the floors look like this:
Spoiler:

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:45 pm

bicostp wrote:@nightwheel:

Get yourself some 150 grit and some white Rustoleum and paint the areas I circled. Now. Keep it from getting worse. Because eventually the water rusts through around a drip rail or window, where it enters and eventually makes its way to the floor, where it has nowhere to drain. Eventually the floors look like this:
Spoiler:
We are aware of the paint issues back there Bic. We've been too busy this year to address it. And the one spot is going to require us to remove the bed first.

We did however last year, take care of some paint issues on the roof and hood.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:47 am

At least hit the spot above the back window. A couple coats applied with a sponge brush will do. It doesn't have to be pretty, just seal it up before winter. :P

Triton

Post by Triton » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:37 pm

a diff pic of my motor in the olds, with the original batwing air cleaner this time lol

cennar

Post by cennar » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:23 pm

I actually lived in this with my girl friend for three months... Wile we started dating too, I even quit smoking in this car. Such a nice peace of crap Rabbit. 5PD, diesel, Beater for life... Engine blew wile she was on Acid, I was literally talking to cops wile pulling drugs out of the dash the car had just stopped being on fire. my Gril didn't tell me she took like 10 hits of acid before waking me up... SO AWESOME, I'm keeping this one...

This we lived in a van... In Vancouver.

The GMC, 1990 PRV... Propane powered windowless moving van... Cheap rent, Fun for baked starving driving through two annoying Canadian cities with vile of LSD in both hands... Cruse control, Automatic, 5 letter v6, Propane convert. Her van, technically I was just the driver and insurance holder.

We sold it before we moved we have a Buick regal right now... no pictures, it's boring reliable car time till we go back to school. I want to find a Winnebago to stuff a diesel into some time soon.. Diesels are the crap. BC was a big Provence, it took less than 15 bucks worth of fuel (Yeah clean diesel in BC) to make it across. I don't know what the quality of the fuel is like out here, but regardless one would still save tons of money with a tank of it. Propane sucks, usually the Valves leak and just spit out compressed gasses killing your tank. though it's clean too. you should consider the Sulphor content when choosing your diesel car if your are at all concerned with the environment.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:35 pm

cennar you are my hero. see sig.