soldering burns :'(

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534
Re: soldering burns :'(

Post by nevermind1534 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 pm

I dropped a huge glob of solder onto my pants once (when I was recapping an entire computer motherboard). It burned a big hole through the shorts, but luckily, I acted quickly enough to save my leg. I've had a few mishaps. Once or twice, I grabbed hot the soldering iron by the metal part. The last time I did that (a few weeks ago), I my fingerprints were gone from the area of contact until it healed up. I've put my finger/hand directly in the path of a propane torch while sweating pipes. It didn't hurt much, though, if at all.

Running cold water, or even anything wet, reduces the amount of time that the burn stings and how long it takes to heal, I've found.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

joeyjoe9876

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:32 pm

my iron has wrapped around my leg before... got a big ole' scar there now
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:03 pm

I've only burned myself twice in all my years...once when I was bout 7; the iron slipped off of the board and poked my hand, and again when I was 10, when I somehow managed to slide the iron over the top of my hand...still not sure how that happened :lol: ..still have the scars to prove them ;)
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:10 am

Xacto knives are even more fun!

Michaelthurston
Steam ID:MichaelThurston

Post by Michaelthurston » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:59 am

Once I leaned over my table, no noticing anything. Then I was alerted to the smell of burning flesh, and had swiftly realized my Arm had rested over the entire length of the soldering Iron. It was SO painful.

Plus like kibble said, I've also gotten solder in my eye, a few times. Man it sucks! :lol:
Completed Projects:
Un-named N64p
Abstract 64
Abstract 64 v.2
Rcube
Thursty64

No. More. Commissions.

Currently Owned(In Response to WeaponEpsilon):

21 Platforms; 38 Individual Consoles; 380 Singular games(0 Duplicates!)

MigueLLLLL
PSN Username:migueIII

Post by MigueLLLLL » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:08 am

Triton wrote:Xacto knives are even more fun!
owwww!!!!!
work log: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Talakoski wrote: Where did you get those copper things over the Heat Sinks?
samjc3 wrote:just for the record, those "copper things over the heatsinks" are the heatsinks. :wink:

joeyjoe9876

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:12 am

xacto knife cuts kinda hurt, you just don't realize you have the cut till blood is dripping down your hand. :lol:
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:28 pm

MigueLLLLL wrote:
Triton wrote:Xacto knives are even more fun!
owwww!!!!!
Actually, when I've accidentally cut myself with xacto knives in the past, it doesn't hurt that much. It just bleeds ALL OVER, and won't stop for quite a while. Xacto knives cut really cleanly (if you're using a reasonably new blade, like you should...).

And I think I've only burned myself on solder blobs dropping before. But I could see burning yourself on the iron if you didn't have a nice stand for it. I highly recommend a nice stand for your soldering iron - the ones that look like a spring work really well. I seriously think I may burn myself on my desoldering iron soon...its stand is this really flimsy piece of metal that's supposed to hold it. Anyone with a Radioshack desoldering iron (discontinued :( ) knows what I'm talking about.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

budnespid

Post by budnespid » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Might not be as bad, but hot glue is pretty painful depending on where it lands. Which just happens to be on my thigh. :cry:

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:52 pm

budnespid wrote:Might not be as bad, but hot glue is pretty painful depending on where it lands. Which just happens to be on my thigh. :cry:
How did you get hot glue on your thigh? Were you not wearing pants?
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

budnespid

Post by budnespid » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:17 pm

smitty wrote:
budnespid wrote:Might not be as bad, but hot glue is pretty painful depending on where it lands. Which just happens to be on my thigh. :cry:
(I was fearing this question.)
No, I was wearing athletic shorts right after tennis practice. It landed right above my knee.

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:00 pm

budnespid wrote:
smitty wrote:
(I was fearing this question.)
No, I was wearing athletic shorts right after tennis practice. It landed right above my knee.
Ah, athletic shorts. I actually don't own a pair of athletic shorts, even though I played volleyball this year. I usually just wore jeans. I think I wore shorts to like, 2 games. I got hot glue on my hand once. I'm not sure if it was hot hot glue or that low temperature stuff, but I actually managed to wash it off. The sinks at my school get so hot you can scald your hands. That probably helped.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

kibble

Post by kibble » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:59 pm

Ugh, I dropped a big blob of hot glue on the inside part of my ring finger on my left hand, couldn't get it off right away and it left a nasty burn in its place. Took about three weeks to heal.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:19 pm

That sounds like it hurt. I think there was a red mark or something for a few days where I glued myself, but I didn't actually get burned.

Valium

Post by Valium » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:06 pm

I actually rarely burn myself with my iron. The more you use something, the better used to it you get.