Episode III Spoiler OK discussion thread

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

benheck
Site Admin
Episode III Spoiler OK discussion thread

Post by benheck » Thu May 19, 2005 8:28 am

I saw it last night and I guess others will soon so we can chat about it in here. Remember this is for people who've seen it, so you can blow any plot detail you like!

My opinion, MUCH better than the first 2.

Pros: Hayden actually appears to be acting most of the time, wooden actors from the first two (Portman and Jackson, specifically) are much better as well.

Oh and let's not forget how much R2D2 rules in this film. He fricking takes out super battle droids for crying out loud! Especially the beginning of this film, the way it was put together was as fast paced and well done as any old Lucas movie (a la New Hope or Raiders)

Cons: NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A little too much CGI for even a new Star Wars film (R2, while he ruled in this, was obviously CGI for most of his scenes, putting Kenny Baker out of work for sure!) The way the Emperor gets "old" was a little strange, as was the scene surrounding it.

But I am happy overall because the ONE THING I wanted out of this movie they did: We see how much gets chopped (and burnt) off Anakin, then we see him re-assembled into Darth Vader. It was as dark (perhaps even a little darker) and great as I could have wanted.

Oh, and I'm also glad he attacked Padme in that scene. I always figured he would.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu May 19, 2005 8:56 am

I agree. The opening was awesome!
A bit heavy on the cg though.
The one other thing I'd have liked to see in the movie is more fighting by Gen. Grevious. If you saw the Clone Wars mini series on Cartoon Network, you'd have seen him fighting much cooler (I mean, he was doing hand stands and fighting with 2 lightsabers held in his feet in the cartoon!)
I like the way the clone army turns into the storm troopers too. Just answering to their commander :)
Palpatine (sp?) is as deceptive as ever. I like how he warped Anikan into being even more hateful/powerful :)

Oh yeah, and R2D2 kicked ass!

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Thu May 19, 2005 10:20 am

So what is Grevious's deal? He coughed in the beginning (a coughing robot?) but then later on you see some of his head/torso are organic.

Is he like a REALLY hacked up ex-person a la Vader? I didn't watch the Clone Wars show...

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu May 19, 2005 1:13 pm

I'm kinda wondering too.
In the clone wars show I don't think they said anything about him once being organic, I thought he was just a droid, and then I see the movie and he's coughing and has some organs, kinda confusing :?

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu May 19, 2005 1:18 pm

he was a person, but then because of a crash or something he got all mutilated, and had to be remade into a sort of semi-robot/human :P......anyway, the movie was DEFINITELY better than the first two (new ones)........it was quite a dark movie, actually, but it was well made :)....
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu May 19, 2005 1:48 pm

benheckc wrote:The way the Emperor gets "old" was a little strange, as was the scene surrounding it.
yeah, that scene was a bit wierd...I mean, I thought Palpatine was done for sure! I'm glad that ol' Samuel L. Jackson (playing Mace Windu, of course) techinally beat Darth Sidous, though :).....or maybe Sidious let Mace windu almost win, just so that anakin could kill him/cut off his hand and let Sidious kill him :P...hmmm...looks like I'm gonna have to see the movie again today!
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

I FINALLY REGISTERED.

Post by I FINALLY REGISTERED. » Thu May 19, 2005 3:06 pm

Empire strikes back is still the best though.
after years of reading, i finally decided to register.
inspirationImage

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Thu May 19, 2005 7:01 pm

Just got back from watching the film. Overall, very good Star Wars film. I'd put 3,4,and 5 as the best of the series (4 and 5 being better than 3 and 5 as the best of the series, IMO). I was disappointed with the Chewbacca scenes. What happened to the rest of the wookies? What made Chewie leave? How did he meet Han? I know Han would have been young and all, but still. Where's that story? Hopefully, Lucas will touch on that in the TV series.

Did anyone else see the Millenium Falcon? That was cool. It's in the beginning as Anakin and Kenobi are returning from the Dooku mission.

I didn't like Owen just standing around looking at the suns at the end. Or the fact that Obi-Wan said nothing to Beru. That whole scene made me vision Lucas going, "Wow, I better cut the film right here. Roll Credits!" Very anti-climatic.

As far as CGI, I'll have to see the movie again. The "projectionists" didn't realize the film was out of focus or that it was slightly out of frame (though to be honest, I only realized that fact as I watched the end credits). The DTS sound system kicked out at the beginning and nobody noticed until about halfway through the movie. I believe that my 4 years as head projectionist will always have me noticing every flaw with a film presentation. Good news is that later on, I'll have a chance to view the film in a Digital Projection theater with THX sound. One just opened an hour away. Whoo Hoo!

MasterChieff44

Post by MasterChieff44 » Thu May 19, 2005 8:57 pm

"War! The Republic is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless Sith Lord, Count Dooku. There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere."

^^Lame.

Otherwise, an amazing movie. I loved only seeing Jar-Jar for 3 seconds in which he doesnt speak.

Current Projest: SnesP
Stage: eBay

Doofus

Post by Doofus » Fri May 20, 2005 2:10 am

I SAW THE HOLOGRAMSSSS!!!

YOU KILLED........

.....YOUNGLINGS!!!!!

<GASP>

S q u e e !

Post by S q u e e ! » Fri May 20, 2005 12:07 pm

Definatley a better movie than the other two before it. But I swear, this movie had ever type of genre in it. Think...

Romance: Lots

Action: More

Horror: A little smidge of, but still a little bit.

Adventure: Everywhere

Comedy: Only two scenes. When R2 catches those two battle droids on fire in the intro, and when Yoda walk into the room where Palpatine is, and knocks out the guards without lifting a finger. I swear, at both of those parts, everyone in the theater cracked up.
"I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup."

~Eddie Izzard

Doofus

Post by Doofus » Fri May 20, 2005 7:05 pm

That yoda scene was pretty hilarious.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Fri May 20, 2005 10:38 pm

man i hate how they always just assume that people will die i mean obi won could have just pushed vader into the lava , but nooooo

man :x
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun May 22, 2005 10:37 am

yeah, but once all your limbs are gone and you're bodies on fire there's not much chance :P

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Sun May 22, 2005 10:51 am

the movie explained a few things like- how the Emperor became so mangled
-Why With out the mask Vader looked to be in his 60's or 70's when he was like in his 40's.
-Why he Vader even has the suit
-Which is older Luke or Leia (luke)
-Their Mother

i thought that it was a little violent body parts rolling, people losing the parts, People getting mangeld, R2D2 pootering all over the droids, Vader killing Little kids....That made people yell NO! in the theator,