So I go to test my mod, and my N64 broke =_=

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Mtrapp
So I go to test my mod, and my N64 broke =_=

Post by Mtrapp » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:05 am

I'm working on putting a GC control stick into a super pad 64. I wired up the GC stick board onto it, and I plug it in and go to test it, and my N64 shuts off right away after I turn it on. It was plugged in to an outlet splitter, so then I tried plugging straight into the wall. It turned on for a split second and shut off again, and now it doesn't turn on at all. I've never had this problem in the past and just used the n64 like a week ago.

Epic fail. :cry:

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: So I go to test my mod, and my N64 broke =_=

Post by hailrazer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:04 am

All it did was reset the Power Supply.

You have a ground and power wire crossed in the mod. Happens to me all the time when modding N64 controllers.

Leave the power supply unhooked from the wall and the N64 for a day or two and try it again without a controlle plugged in and it will work.

Fix the controller wiring and try again :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:55 am

A controller has the ability to knock the n64 into sleep mode too if wired incorrectly, especially the memory pak slot. This has happened to me twice before.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mtrapp

Post by Mtrapp » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:53 am

Interesting. I don't know how I could have wired it wrong, I followed how the original superpad was wired to the pots and put the x axis on top like Toast said since he did this mod with the same controller and said it needed to be on top. When you say a ground and power wire is crossed, what exactly does this mean? I have 2 ground wires attached to the same pin on one because the ground wire from the controller doesn't branch off into 2 ends, so I had to do it just like the original one was done. It's not a very good soldering job though... I didn't have any solder =/ so I did it all by using what solder was there on the bottom of the c-stick board. I just wanted to test it. I guess I'll try and solder the ground wire again if that could be the problem.