guitar

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

samus
Steam ID:masamus
guitar

Post by samus » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:05 am

so i've decided to pick up the guitar. unfortunately i have short fingers. however, i play the viola and violin, so i don't really see that being a problem.

does anyone here play the guitar? and if so, do you have any important tips for a beginner? any good easy songs to mess around with? what chords should i start learning first?

jeez, so many questions.

ghosstt

Re: guitar

Post by ghosstt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:58 pm

The easiest song you can learn is "Horse With No Name" by America. Two chords, alternating, with a rather easy rhythm. Something I'd say you should really work on at first, is the ability to hear a rhythm and play it with your right hand, even if its over just one chord. When I gave lessons, the kid I gave lessons to really had trouble with doing any sort of rhythm, and you could tell he never practiced aside from during the lesson, so that brings up point 2; just practice a lot. When I first started playing, I played a decent amount, and shelfed out, and it got rather boring. I cured this by playing with others, etc. (It really brought out my soloing side, and improv.) Since you already play instruments, I'm sure you have the determination though.

Easy Chords to Learn:
Em
E
A
Am

Those are by far the easiest chords. (I'm talking open chords here) And luckily, they happen to make up the first 2 parts of the blues in key of E. (This too, while can be boring, really helps you with multitasking left and right hand, and getting rhythm down)

Just make sure you can play all the major chords at first. This will help you a drastic amount, more than most people give credit for. Once you get those down, you can start into the open minor chords, barre chords, power chords, and scales. (Or you can start with major opens and scales too)

Learning riffs can be really fun too, and a decent way to practice, but that is where I started to shelf out at, and became tough for me to get over.

Overall, just have fun with it, and practice a lot.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:32 pm

"Smoke on the water". Heh. Oh and "Rocking in the free world".
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:03 pm

Hm..hard to add anything of any real merit after ghosst's post lol.

BUT, I can still add a tune to learn: For whom the bell tolls!!! That's pretty easy as far as metal riffs go--a good starter tune.
Last edited by Metallica Man X on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

AfroLH

Post by AfroLH » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Weezer songs are generally good Beginner songs.
"Undone (The Sweater Song)" especially.

samus
Steam ID:masamus

Post by samus » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:58 pm

i should probably mention here that i also play the bass guitar: blues and jazz style. and i can play the trap set. so i have rhythm.

thanks for the tips guys. i already wrote a song today. :)

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:52 am

pirate a copy of "guitar pro" for all your tabulature needs. Search for GP files on google or ultimate guitar

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:51 am

Anything by Rush... :P
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Biased

Post by Biased » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:06 pm

Blink 182 songs are very easy to learn (and sing along with), I learned about four or five Blink songs after playing for about three months when I was 14. It helps to get music books that have tablature along with sheet music. Hal-Leonard books have them and are always (I think anyway) the guitar recorded versions, so you know you're learning the song the way it's actually played.

EDIT: If you're into pirating software, get Guitar Rig. Amazing program for effects, although it does kind of suck up processor power and RAM, and as long as it's running it hogs the use of the sound card....

RockNRoll!

Post by RockNRoll! » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:13 pm

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/guitar-lessons.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are the best online guitar lessons I've found. Here's another one I found but haven't read much cause I just found it the other day but it looks pretty good so far: http://www.essentialguitar.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

desertman123
PSN Username:Desertman123

Post by desertman123 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:00 pm

weaponepsilon wrote:"Smoke on the water". Heh. Oh and "Rocking in the free world".
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

I learned One by Metallica for my first song. Damn it was hard to learn but once I did I could easily play a lot of the "beginner" songs with ease. Try it, if it's like WALLHAX then try something by Nirvana.

Protip: Don't tape yourself playing the guitar for the first time and put it on Youtube.
Word to the wise: DON'T THROW ELECTRONICS AWAY!!!

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 am

Lots of good advice here already, so not much to add.

Writing your own songs is very good, I find it more satisfying than learning other peoples songs. Just learn lots of chords and play around with them until you find something that works :)

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

Thats a pretty good little tool for quickly finding chord shapes that you need

Thats all i can give that hasn't already been said unless you need advice on playing ska and reggae :lol:

desertman123
PSN Username:Desertman123

Post by desertman123 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:05 pm

timmeh87 wrote:pirate a copy of "guitar pro" for all your tabulature needs. Search for GP files on google or ultimate guitar
Tux Guitar.
Word to the wise: DON'T THROW ELECTRONICS AWAY!!!

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:59 pm

Check out Lick Library for tons of videos and stuff as far as learning specifics goes :)

kingpin901

Post by kingpin901 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:11 pm

''The House of the rising sun'' is the easiest I know by The Animals.
Qc, Canadian Buyer :)
Buyer & Seller Feedback Received:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 10#p410310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;