INVASION OF PRIVACY

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

aceboy44
Banned
INVASION OF PRIVACY

Post by aceboy44 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:05 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_laptops_s ... n_students" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Re: INVASION OF PRIVACY

Post by Black Six » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:53 am

Yeah I read about that a couple days ago. I can't believe no one on that planning committee didn't realize what a stupid thing they were doing...
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:08 am

That's why you put a piece of electrical tape over the built-in webcam (or get a laptop without one).

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:15 pm

They actually gave them the (apple) laptops with the software pre-installed, and stated that students can cover it with tape if they want.

Its a legit way to recover laptops, I think. But then why was the camera activated on a non-stolen laptop? And who is dumb enough to think candy is drugs? Getting a little excited about fighting crime with your super-secret-spy cam? Busted.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

limpport

Post by limpport » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:33 pm

So much legal fail I don't even know where to begin. :facepalm:

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:04 am

Maybe it's a good way to find the laptops but that doesn't make it legal or moral, lol.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:46 am

I think its pretty legal guys. (as long as you have blindly agreed to something while accepting your free school computer). You are recorded by cameras like 10 or more times per day.

I was at the airport yesterday, and I noticed that the ticket machines all have webcams in them that presumably take pictures of you as you buy your ticket.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Black Six

Post by Black Six » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:21 pm

There's a difference between being recorded in a public space when it's obvious you're being recorded and being recorded in your home without your knowledge. As far as I'm aware the parents and students were never made aware that the cameras could be activated remotely. That seems pretty illegal to me.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous

Black Six

Post by Black Six » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 am

Got any proof? Oh wait, they 'don't want you to know about it.' Sounds more paranoid then anything. Anyway, if you're being investigated by the government they usually have a darn good reason to, rather than, 'we're putting software on our students' computers so we can spy on them in their homes!'

aceboy44
Banned

Post by aceboy44 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:49 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625 ... s-19196035" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm actually starting to think that schools actually HAVE the right to turn on webcams :P

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:58 am

I love the part were the President of the school district, says "... we are not aware of any evidence that district employees used LANrev photographs or screen-shots for such inappropriate purposes."

It doesn't matter what purpose these were used for, hell it doesn't matter if they were just sitting on a hard drive. The fact is that this is an invasion of privacy that should never have happened. For one the school should have released with the contract for the laptops all software that was going to be on it, and it's purpose. The only way this school district could remotely cover their behinds on this whole thing is if (like B6 said) they had it written out in the contract that the software would be used for this purpose. In which case they might escape with a slap on the wrist.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.