NES repair attempt = fail

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Mtrapp
NES repair attempt = fail

Post by Mtrapp » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:31 pm

So yeah I still don't really have any experience fixing and modding video games, but I was getting really excited while cleaning my 72 pin connector and the part where it connects to the main board, and bending the pins a bit to get a more secure connection. I put my super mario 3 game in (that I know works for sure) and still no go... the flashing led power light and blinking blue/black screen. I don't know how I'm gonna get my confidence back up failed attempts at fixing a 360 with E74, and an NES system :( We'll see how I do with the gameboy after I get my tri-wing screwdriver. I'm afraid to try starting out modding anything because it would be a lot of effort that might turn out not working :/

Squidlekins

Re: NES repair attempt = fail

Post by Squidlekins » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:40 pm

after about 8 attempted projects of my own almost all I've managed to do is amass a pile of broken game consoles and machinery, and also sink a few hundred dollars over about two years. But its some of the most fun I've ever had, don't give up.
The best Screen name is one that has no Google matches

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Have you tried disabling the lockout chip? If it doesn't have a 100% good communication with the cartridge, it doesn't let the console boot.

There are instructions halfway down this page:

http://www.benheck.com/Games/Nintendo_p ... Up_NES.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's pretty simple. Just cut pin #4 of the lockout chip off the board and run a wire from it to ground. This bypasses the chip, forcing the console to try loading the game.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Did you clean your game or try a different one? If you want to buy a new 72 pin connector, I can sell one for around $8 shipped. Sometimes, the connector is just so far gone that you have to get a new one.

And for disabling the lockout chip (I do that on all of the consoles I sell), remove the pin (you can pop it out or cut it) and that will prevent the system from resetting itself.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Mtrapp

Post by Mtrapp » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:40 pm

I actually disable the lockout chip (cut the 4th pin on that chip) before coming back to see your posts, but thanks guys. I plugged it in and everything, this time got the power to stay on - there was no blinking... just a blank blue screen this time, instead of blinking screen and power light. Does this mean anything? Next time I head home where my other 2 consoles are, I'm gonna open the working one and switch 72-pin connectors and see if that's the problem with this one I'm working on, or if it's something else.
Thanks

goodie

Post by goodie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:59 am

The 72 pin connector is the problem. Try using a new one.
mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsapoiuytrewq