Need advice choosing a new music player

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

adam_d
Need advice choosing a new music player

Post by adam_d » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:38 am

Hi guys, I need some help choosing a new music player. I've had a generic cheapo chinese player for 3 years, which has served me well, but it's getting worn out now and it's time for an upgrade. I've narrowed it down to 4 possible choices:

Archos 2: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Archos-8GB-MP3- ... 206&sr=8-1

Creative Zen MX: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Zen-MX ... 228&sr=8-3

SanDisk Sansa Fuze: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sansa-Fuze-8gb- ... 268&sr=8-1

SanDisk Sansa Clip+: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDMX18R ... 286&sr=8-4

The only requirements I have are decent sound quality, at least 8gb of internal memory and some sort of memory expansion. I would like video playback, and anything else such as extra format support is a bonus. The fuze is at the top of my budget, being the most I would want to spend. It also needs to be fairly small.

If anyone has any suggestions to players I might've missed, go ahead and suggest them :P

Also, I know the Clip+ seems like the odd one out there, but I've only heard good things about it, and I wasn't sure if it would be worth buying that and using the left over money to get some better headphones, at the minute I'm using a pair of Sony MDR-KE30 earbuds, which are alright, and have a nifty cord reel. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDRKE30LWW ... 624&sr=8-1
Only difference is mine are black.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :D

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Need advice choosing a new music player

Post by hackmodford » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:43 am

iPod Touch... the best media player I've ever used/owned in my life...

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:52 am

The Sansa Clip is actually one of the best sounding players out there. I would get that, and the Clip+ has a MicroSD slot, so you can fit a lot of music for pretty cheap. What are you looking for in headphones, do they need to be earbuds?

And the iPod Touch is one of the best handheld computers I have ever used, but not the best actual media player. ;)

Excellent

adam_d

Post by adam_d » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Earbuds would be best, I'm gonig to be carrying it about in my pocket a lot. I've looked at some of the lower end Sennheisers, but I'm not sure if they'd give me much of an improvement over the Sonys.

And I like the ipod touch too, but it's well over my budget. :P

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:29 pm

I have a 4GB Fuze I got on ebay for $20. Works great, the sound quality is awesome and goes incredibly loud (hearing be damned)
It has a microSD slot, FM radio (which is very good), microphone, the works. It does play video fine (and pretty good quality), but you have to convert it first. Sandisk's own tool is a pile of crap. I use something called video4fuze which works great.

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hackmodford » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 pm

palmertech wrote:And the iPod Touch is one of the best handheld computers I have ever used, but not the best actual media player. ;)
True... True...

adam_d

Post by adam_d » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Found another possible option to put into the mix here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8GB-Sandisk-Sansa ... 45f0093275

Seem, very, very cheap, and the seller has good feedback. And I quite like the look of these SanDisk players.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:13 pm

adam_d wrote:Earbuds would be best, I'm gonig to be carrying it about in my pocket a lot. I've looked at some of the lower end Sennheisers

Good man. I have a pair of these and they're amazing

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX300- ... B000E6G9RI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:49 pm

I just got a Touch recently, but you said that isn't an option.

Before I got it, I was exclusively a Creative man. I have always been impressed with their products - even had one of their mp3 players go through the wash with no ill effects!

_The Watcher_

Post by _The Watcher_ » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:12 pm

stay away from the sansa fuze. I had one for about two weeks and it started making the old dial up sound during music play, the converter takes forever for video and its just plain dumb.

memorex makes a decent cheap ($20) mp3 player but thats all it is.

ipod ive determined is a good product if you have a mac, for some reason my pc screws it up and puts them into a restore mode loop.

so far the best mp3 player i have ever owned was an old RCA, it took SD cards and it kicked ass.

does the US even make this stuff anymore at all?

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:17 pm

iPod mini; I've had mine for ~4.5 years, and it's quite excellent, and probably fairly cheap on eBay and the like. I just had to replace my battery in mine a few months back; cost me a whopping $5.

New iPods are for losers. :shock: 8) :mrgreen: :lol: :facepalm:
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

adam_d

Post by adam_d » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:00 am

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:iPod mini; I've had mine for ~4.5 years, and it's quite excellent, and probably fairly cheap on eBay and the like. I just had to replace my battery in mine a few months back; cost me a whopping $5.

New iPods are for losers. :shock: 8) :mrgreen: :lol: :facepalm:
Ironically, I have got an old ipod mini I got for free, which needs a new drive and a new battery. I was going to do the compact flash mod on it, but I was never convinced it sounded that got, and it would cost me nearly as much as it would to get a new player. :?