Just picked up Fallout 3

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ghosstt
Just picked up Fallout 3

Post by ghosstt » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:00 pm

Well, as the title suggests, I just picked up Fallout 3 GOTY Edition. I'm getting ready to play, and have played about the first 45 minutes worth before on a PS3 (I got to the first outside town). Any suggestions for things to look out for? Any tips? (No spoilers please) Also, how much does gameplay differ per what skills you level up?

Harshboy
Portablizer

Re: Just picked up Fallout 3

Post by Harshboy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:04 pm

ghosstt wrote:Well, as the title suggests, I just picked up Fallout 3 GOTY Edition. I'm getting ready to play, and have played about the first 45 minutes worth before on a PS3 (I got to the first outside town). Any suggestions for things to look out for? Any tips? (No spoilers please) Also, how much does gameplay differ per what skills you level up?
Well, do you want to blow up Megaton or not? If it's your first play through, I would recommend deactivating the nuke in Megaton instead of blowing it up.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:07 pm

I knew about that, and wasn't planning on it. What about for SPECIAL? Are there any really useless ones?

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:27 am

Just play through how you feel. Its not like you can't play through a second or third (or forth) time :D
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:34 am

I dislike playing games like this...I can never decide what to do :lol: After getting it getting it for free (legally) a year ago, I got to the part where you are about to step foot outside and haven't touched it since. :oops:

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:36 am

Ill buy it from you?
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:48 pm

i'd always suggest downloading the new content, but if you have to choose I suggest choosing the Broken Steel content first. Extends the level cap to 30, and continues more of the main story line.

desertman123
PSN Username:Desertman123

Post by desertman123 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:24 pm

Sorry to hijack a thread but... The collectors edition is at my Gamestop for $40 new,should I get it? Also, personally, I'd blow up Megaton. It seems fun.
Word to the wise: DON'T THROW ELECTRONICS AWAY!!!

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:54 pm

desertman123 wrote:Sorry to hijack a thread but... The collectors edition is at my Gamestop for $40 new,should I get it? Also, personally, I'd blow up Megaton. It seems fun.
If by Collector's Edition you mean the Game of the Year Edition that has all of the DLC then by all means run (Don't walk) to Gamestop and buy it immediately.

Forty bucks for one of the 10 best games ever made is a crazy bargain!

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:06 pm

He might mean this.
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

desertman123
PSN Username:Desertman123

Post by desertman123 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:53 am

chainfire95 wrote:He might mean this.
Yep. GOTY is $60
Word to the wise: DON'T THROW ELECTRONICS AWAY!!!

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:52 pm

I think I picked up my GOTY for about $53 and change or something close. So far its pretty good. I should have read up a little more on the character creation, because I started of spreading my points around, and didn't realize it was way better to just focus on 1 area. I did all Arefu quest, and I was somewhat disappointed. There was only one quest line to do. I thought there would be a little more to do in each town. So far I've done the arefu quest, the big town quest, water pipe, megaton bomb, and the first two parts of the travelers guide. I'm liking it so far, but I'm hoping that it picks up a little.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:59 pm

chainfire95 wrote:He might mean this.
Wow... Places still have that in stock? I'd actually forgotten about it's existence!

Well, I personally would lean towards dropping 60 bucks for the GOTY edition instead. Much better value and way more content for the money.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:21 pm

I actually just checked my receipt, and my GOTY was $49.99. :lol:

So does the game start to pick up more after the first bunch of hours? It still seems a bit slow to me.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:26 am

ghosstt wrote:I actually just checked my receipt, and my GOTY was $49.99. :lol:

So does the game start to pick up more after the first bunch of hours? It still seems a bit slow to me.
It is a little slow going at first. Heck, I first played it over a year ago and only made it out of the vault before setting it down. I only started playing again when the GOTY edition came out a couple months back and was totally hooked after the first few hours. For awhile you feel like you're kind of stuck in Megaton, but once you get out of there and really start exploring it becomes quite immersive.

I'd suggest heading towards Rivet City before too long. It can be tough going, but once you make the trek there and into the downtown DC area I think you'll be hooked. Have you gone to Galaxy News Radio yet?