Steam sales again

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod
Re: Steam sales again

Post by jones » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Steam works pretty slick so far I must say!

I pulled the trigger on Rome and the Civ IV pack, but may have to scoop up some other deals before they expire. Team Fortress 2 is 15 bucks at the moment, so I'm not sure if I want to re-buy it for that. Especially since I'm not Captain WASD. :)

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:36 pm

I bought Braid, Audiosurf, Assassin's Creed, and Garry's Mod for $22.50.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:04 pm

jones wrote:Team Fortress 2 is 15 bucks at the moment, so I'm not sure if I want to re-buy it for that. Especially since I'm not Captain WASD. :)
Like I said, PC TF2 is almost a whole new game compared to Console TF2:

- More maps than you can shake a stick at (Ranging from high quality near-Valve stuff to gag maps like a recreation of Donkey Kong)
- All the character updates, with the exception of Engineer because Valve hasn't made that update yet. (The new weapons mix up gameplay a lot)
- Payload, Payload Race, Arena, and King of the Hill game modes
- Tons of bug fixes
- Server-side mods (gravity, all/no crits, etc)
- More servers to choose from (you connect to a server instead of a lobby)
- Higher quality video settings (you can even use the character models from the Meet the Team videos if your PC's good enough.)
- Maximum of 32 players on a server (16v16)

http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Differences_bet ... C_versions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trust me, it's worth it. You could even set it up to use a 360 controller if you want (though everybody else is using keyboard+mouse).

You could wait and see if they discount it further later on. $15 seems to be the "everyday" sale price, and it hasn't been a daily special yet this year.

What's your Steam username? I'll add you to the group. :)

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Well I've been thinking of building a PC again one of these days. Maybe at that point I'd look into some FPS action. As things stand, I've only been rocking a laptop for the last couple years.

TF2 on the PC does sound pretty sweet. Too bad MS wouldn't let Valve release the extra content for free on the 360 like they wanted to do. Oh well...

Steam Username = jarjarisgod (Why would I change it now? LOL)

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:44 pm

Okay Jones, the entire Orange Box is $15 today. No excuses now! :P

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:23 pm

Bioshock-today only: $5.

qerkdtx

Post by qerkdtx » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:06 pm

yo bic could you invite me, my accounts ninjaconker, and I mainly play goldeneye source

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:23 pm

Searching for your name doesn't bring anything up.

Please post a link to your Steam Community page.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:56 pm

bicostp wrote:Okay Jones, the entire Orange Box is $15 today. No excuses now! :P
Hmmm... I already have it for 360 though. If they would have TF2 available for like half that I would probably pull the trigger. Is the community pretty good for it on the PC?

Already have BioShock for 360 as well. That is an INSANE deal for anyone who hasn't played it yet though!

Also, what was this Steam group you said I should join?

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:27 pm

jones wrote:Hmmm... I already have it for 360 though.
So? ;) :P

Well, even if you don't want to pull the trigger on it today, it may go on sale by itself before the Holiday Sale is over. (And since you said you already have the Orange Box on console, you don't really need to get HL2 and Portal again.) TF2's going to stay at $15 at the very most for the rest of the promotion, so you won't really lose anything by waiting. (Too bad this wasn't a couple months ago; they had TF2 on sale for $2, and there was a free weekend a couple weeks ago.)

We have a Steam group for the benheck forumites. The way it's set up, a group admin has to invite you; there isn't an application process. Searching the Steam Community page for your name doesn't find you. :? Could you post a link to the page it gives you when you click "view my profile", please? (For example here's mine: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bicostp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

As for the TF2 community, it depends on which servers you go to. They could be anything from a fun casual group, to a professional clan, to a chaotic public gimmick server with crit rockets and memes abound. (2Fort2Furious 24/7 MARIO_KART 100% crits instant respawn)

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:36 pm

$2 definitely would have been a price I could have gone for! I'll just have to keep an eye on it. There will be another deal before too long I imagine.

I must not have setup my custom URL before, but now it is a rockin'.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jarjarisgod" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Squintus
Steam ID:tehsquint

Post by Squintus » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:17 pm

bic, I shot you a friend request. Any chance of a group invite? Image

Username: tehsquint

Dr. Killjoy
360 GamerTag:DrKilljoy59
Steam ID:drkilljoy88

Post by Dr. Killjoy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Sounds like a good group to be in. Sign me up! :D

Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/drkilljoy88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, if any wants to play stuff, just send a message or befriend me on Steam. I have L4D, L4D2, TF2, and G-Mod for multiplayer games.
Check out my FS/T thread!
See my feedback here.

exp0wnster

Post by exp0wnster » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:34 pm

Add me!

I play MW2 mostly

http://steamcommunity.com/id/exp0wnster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Or you can turn on a soldering iron and start stabbing motherboards repeatedly until something lights up.