Hello! And flash carts!?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Asuraku
Hello! And flash carts!?

Post by Asuraku » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:49 pm

I've been lurking on the site for awhile, and never really thought about finding a NOAC and making my own portable. The other day I found one for $15 and decided to give it a go. There's also a new/used game shop in town that sells everything from the Magnavox Odyssey and up so I realized I had some good resources to work with. As I said, I've been a long-time lurker, so I understand the general idea behind making a portable NES, but I then thought, "Hmm carrying all those carts around would be bothersome...".

I know there's one site on the interwebz that sells flash-able carts, but they cost far too much. Is there anyway to mod a cart to accept a bigger, blank ROM chip? Or possibly interface some sort of memory card to one? Even if anyone has just a schematic or a PCB layout for one, I can do the rest.

And here's my hello!<

palmertech

Re: Hello! And flash carts!?

Post by palmertech » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:52 pm

If you are not using authentic carts, you may as well emulate.

Excellent

goodie

Post by goodie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:23 pm

The PowerPak would probably be the best solution. However, it will only work on a real NES (and supposedly on the first version of the RetroDuo).
mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsapoiuytrewq

Asuraku

Post by Asuraku » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:26 pm

palmertech wrote:If you are not using authentic carts, you may as well emulate.
Ah man...

Well I already do have a huge collection of ROMs and various emulators, but there's nothing like having it in your hands.
goodie wrote:The PowerPak would probably be the best solution. However, it will only work on a real NES (and supposedly on the first version of the RetroDuo).
That's the Flash cart I was referring too, and there's no way I'm paying that much for it. That and it's a bit buggy and doesn't play ever game.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:36 pm

Actually it is by far the best thing ever to come out for the NES. The whole operation is run by a single guy who designs and builds everything himself. These aren't mass-produced, so they won't be as cheap as chinese stuff.

The main problem here is that many games use several different kinds of mappers, each game pretty much requires its own kind of wiring.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:36 pm

The PowerPak does work with the NOAC systems. thewizdawg used a PowerPak to play the d-pad hero game on it, here. So it does work... to a point. Certain games will still not work (like Castlevaina III), and it's unknown if there are any other issues.

I'd say if you want to use the PowerPak to make a portable, only do so with games you own. Most games are still copy written and so downloading the rom and using it on the PowerPak without owning a physical copy is illegal. I would say though stick with swapping games, it's has a nice authentic feel to it.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Asuraku

Post by Asuraku » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:48 pm

I know the legalities of ROM's and "backups", and that hasn't stopped me from acquiring around 800+ NES ROMs. Again though, it's nice having it in your hands. Emulators are so troublesome to use, especially on a mac.