Snes powerpak from RetroUSB

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

WhatULive4
Snes powerpak from RetroUSB

Post by WhatULive4 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:08 pm

The Snes powerpak is now officially available from retrousb.

Get it HERE!

It doesn't support every snes game ( including starfox :( ) but if you buy the DSP1 chip with it, there are only a handful of incompatible games.

argelfraster

Re: Snes powerpak from RetroUSB

Post by argelfraster » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Only $125. Awesome.

Biased

Post by Biased » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:01 am

What a way for them to monopolize the market. I suppose if you want to think of it this way - it's like buying 15 or so REAL SNES games of varying qualities and rareness in one cart. Still not worth the price though... There are only five SNES games that I ever enjoyed playing and I can play them for free on my computer.

No disrespect meant, WhatULive4. This is an interesting item, but I just hate that they overprice their items on things not THAT many people are interested in. It's not really supporting of any kind of community (Old-school gaming, SNES/NES game programming and designing), they're just trying to make bank.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:30 am

I'm sure that some of you will think I'm bashing, but...

Nintendo will likely not like this. For those like us that can figure out how to obtain SNES roms, and put them on a flash card means we don't have to go and buy the repackaged or ported Nintendo games. Like all the ones that are offered for the Wii or DS. I'd love to get a PowerPak, but I need to get my SNES working first. After that I'll have to look into some of the games I used to play. It's a little shameful, but I can't remember the names of most of them I played. :cry:

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

typamc95

Post by typamc95 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:43 am

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars SA-1 chip not supported
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Super FX chip not supported
:(
Skyone wrote:
typamc95 wrote:There called Roto-disc.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Roto-Disc
Game, set, match!

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:56 pm

Biased wrote:No disrespect meant, WhatULive4. This is an interesting item, but I just hate that they overprice their items on things not THAT many people are interested in. It's not really supporting of any kind of community (Old-school gaming, SNES/NES game programming and designing), they're just trying to make bank.
None taken. What I do like about the product is that it was made by someone who started in the community. Makes/develops his own games. Provides a service for homebrewers to sell their games. Gives people a reliable and relatively inexpensive system for running homebrew on actual software. Gives portablizers a chance to take (almost) every game with them on the road with their portable snes. And, still stays active in the community. His username is bunnyboy, and he is active on the nintendoage and nesdev forums. Probably many more.

I don't agree with the "just trying to make bank" statement. It costs a lot of time/money/knowledge to put something like this together, and after the cost of prototyping boards, it would take quite a while just to break even. Wouldn't everyone here like to make a living doing the things they love? He is just living the dream...

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:57 pm

like has been previously mentioned if you do the math 125$ is an incredible deal, with that investment you can play nearly every SNES game released, thats over 400 titles for the US market alone. and if you had to buy every single one of those games it would cost you a LOT more than 125$
What a way for them to monopolize the market.
just because they have no real competition doesnt make it a monopoly. They saw a gap in the market and made a product to fit said gap, more competition would drive down the price some but if your thinking you're going to be able to get a SNES cart emulator for 10-30 bucks like you would a DS flashcard you would be mistaken :lol:

My thoughts on this is it would be GREAT for a portable like my GBOsnes but the lack of superFX and SA1 might be a dealbreaker for a lot of people

Biased

Post by Biased » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:18 am

Triton wrote:My thoughts on this is it would be GREAT for a portable like my GBOsnes but the lack of superFX and SA1 might be a dealbreaker for a lot of people
It would be convenient, but if you're going to use it for a portable, why not just hand someone something that can run an emulator? I believe the point of making a system into a portable is the availability of the actual original hardware AND software for make benefit your nostalgia. I suppose though it wouldn't be too fun swapping out game packs on the go or lugging them with you. Personally, I don't like the idea of it. I didn't know it was just one guy doing all of the designing and prototyping, I suppose that makes sense as to why it's so expensive. I always thought it was a company that released these products.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:25 am

Not a bad price. I haven't been keeping up with retrousb while in Japan, so surprised to see this.
I still have my NES powerpak, probably will end up selling it though...school debt has been piling up ><