Internetspeed and cost. What do you have?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

flax
Internetspeed and cost. What do you have?

Post by flax » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:55 am

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find any similar thread. If there is, a mod can remove this thread.

I've been wondering what kind of connection all you people are using. It kind of startled me when I first found this site that *56k WARNING" seemed obligatory when posting larger pics.

Are people still using dialup? :O

I live in Sweden and I doubt that anyone, and I mean anyone, is still using a dialup internet connection here.

Me myself have 10Mbit down, and 10Mbit up at the moment, full duplex. I'm paying €11ish ($16.5 , £10) a month. I could get 100/10 for €22ish, but I don't really see the point.

One can't get real broadband everywhere here in sweden. But one can get adsl for a fair price everywhere (well, you'll ofc need a phoneline to the house, but anyways). When I lived at home with my parents, I had 24MBit down and 2.5 Mbit up. I think that that is the max you can get from ADSL here.

So, how about you guys?

limpport

Re: Internetspeed and cost. What do you have?

Post by limpport » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:12 am

At home, I have about 25/10 at home.

But at college...

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:42 am

We have 3Mbit down/512Kbit up at home. AT&T DSL, costs about $30/month IIRC.

And what I have at college:
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

collinE

Post by collinE » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:02 am

I can't remember what my upload is, but my download is 12 with comcast for $20/month right now. soon to pop up to $40
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:10 am

I hate my ISP. I pay $50/month for that. Unfortunately, my building is so old that I can't get DSL or fiber and am stuck with cable.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:34 am

We pay about $45 a month for Verizon small business DSL. (1700k down / 384k up) Long story short we used to have NetZero but my dad's work started paying for its employees to get DSL so they could telecommute, but then they stopped that and we never changed the service. It's okay though because they give you higher priority in their support system, over the usual home user accounts.

Can't wait for them to finish the FiOS rollout in my town. (Last the paper said, it should be done mid-November.) 10 meg down / 5 meg up for about the same price. 8)

I hate Comcast. They keep taking TV channels away while raising the rates. We pay $65 a month for 50 snowy channels (and they look snowy coming off the street, too, so it's not just our wiring). That count includes all the home shopping channels, Golf channel (wtf), and local channels you get for free. I built a big UHF antenna and mounted it in the attic, so we get about 25 stations off the air for free (not counting the digital [number].X subchannels; for example there's 5 PBS stations and 4 ION stations). They're cutting off analog cable at the end of this month, and the equivalent digital package costs the same, and on top of that you have to lease converter boxes. :facepalm:

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:19 am

Comcast's as advertised 16 Mbps plan which is $65/month here. Here's what I actually get:

A few months ago I moved and my Internet is actually faster over here because everyone else is using Verizon! The cable lines are all mine :twisted:
They're cutting off analog cable at the end of this month, and the equivalent digital package costs the same, and on top of that you have to lease converter boxes.
Sounds to me like it's time to upgrade to Digital TV and a nice HDTV ;) We switched from the basic package to some digital starter package and we get a ton more channels (and in HD + On Demand, which is better than real TV IMO) and it's only $8 more than what we used to have. Now is a good time to switch because you also get the sexy little black HD boxes, not those old ugly (and huge) silver boxes.
Last edited by Harshboy on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:53 am

We have Comcast, advertised as 6 or 7 down. I'm happy with it most of the time.
We pay about $100 a month for the internet, 2 phone lines, an HD cable box, an SD cable box, and the starter cable plan. Its that price for a year, no contract. I think the sales guy got a little carried away. :lol:

madc0w
Location:In the ghetto of Larchmont! A HALF-A-MIL HOUSE IS GANGSER!

Post by madc0w » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:25 am

That seems... wrong? Especially cause our connection usually blows.
Edit: Friend told me he heard that speedtest picks us up completely incorrectly.
Kayleigh57020 wrote: "button" is insanity.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:18 pm

My actual ISP is Galaxy Cablevision. But from what I can understand. They have some kind of agreement to provide internet for their customers from Dark Fiber Solutions.

Anyways, if I remember right. We have a 768k connection which Galaxy advertises at their fastest internet for home. So the 1mbs download could be just a lucky fluke.

As for how much we pay, we pay around $70 for basic cable and the high speed internet.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:20 pm

My Speedtest:

Looking at the broken down bill I'm paying $32.99 a month for this connection with a $3 cable modem lease fee. That's with a deal that expires in about 5 months now, after that, it's supposed to go up to $44.99 a month (I can see if I can switch to another deal if I take the bill to the office then).

The US still lags other countries in broadband spread, but even my rural cousins have fair-speed (1Mbit down, IIRC) DSL at their farm.

"56K beware" is most seen on older forums, and now mainly serves as a warning that you're going to have to scroll a lot if you're on a netbook.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:27 pm

You guys are lucky. I live in the country and can only get Dsl from my phone company.

1.5m for $54.99 a month.

It barely does youtube. LOL
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:30 pm

LOL. Benheck.com's google juice is so strong that we're already getting people here searching for help for their modems because of this thread (and probably a couple of others):
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, if you think your speedtest results are off try http://www.broadbandreports.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and hit tools instead. (and if you're just looking for modem or internet help, go there instead)

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:50 pm

hailrazer wrote:You guys are lucky. I live in the country and can only get Dsl from my phone company.

1.5m for $54.99 a month.

It barely does youtube. LOL
you must have terrible quality lines then because my 1.5mb DSL connection (coutesy of iowa telecom) is rock solid reliable and usually clocks in at ABOVE 1.5mb, and usually works better than my friends who have cable internet! our DSL, DISH satellite, and phone service combined is around 120$ a month IIRC including long distance
When i have a good torrent running i average 160-205kbps download rate

Axaj

Post by Axaj » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Don't exactly know the cost, as I don't pay the bills.
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar