Serious question.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ValiantVenality
Portablizer
Serious question.

Post by ValiantVenality » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:59 pm

This is all by means serious, and I'd like to keep these as mature as possible. Today my friend decided to get Xanax from his mother because hes had very bad anxiety lately. He told me to try one. I asked him how does it feel and he couldn't explain it to me. So I took it and it was one of the best feelings of my life. All my cares just vanished. I wasn't nervous of getting caught in my class. I felt better overall as a person. The only problem is that I've heard that these pills are EXTREMELY addictive. I don't have a very addictive personality though. All together I've probably smoked a pack of cigarettes in my whole life. I've never had withdrawals or cravings for one. SO my dilemma is that do you think that I should continue to take them if I get a chance to? Or would there be any other alternatives to this? I know marijuana does most of this, but I hate the laziness and the giggles with weed. When I do it all it makes me want to do is go and do nothing. With Xanax it makes me feel great and I don't get the laziness like I do with weed. So should I continue to take it? Are there any alternatives to this? Thanks!

VV

snowpenguin

Re: Serious question.

Post by snowpenguin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:07 pm

First of all, I don't think you should have taken it in the first place.

Second, do you have anxiety, or are you just looking to get high? If the latter, go get some help.

Just talk to a doctor, don't ask some video game geeks about it, what do we know...?

And don't do drugs, dude. HUGS NOT DRUGS MAN!

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:09 pm

xanax is a fairly powerful member of the Benzodiazepine family of drugs and as you said is is a very addictive drug. xanax is the second most abused perscription medication in the world. If you have problems with anxiety, worrying and stuff like that go see a mental health professional and they can probably perscribe you clonazepam, its a similar drug to xanax (its a benzo too) but lower dosage and with a slightly better record for abuse (i think its 4th or 5th most abused lol)
Just talk to a doctor, don't ask some video game geeks about it, what do we know...?
depending on the person, either nothing, a little, or as much as some med students lol

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Be careful with that stuff. (By that, I mean don't keep taking it!)

Drugs are drugs... don't play with fire.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 pm

Seriously though, if you have real anxiety issues, follow everyone's advice here and just see a real doctor.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:36 pm

Prescription drug addiction is no joke. Not only will you get hooked on that stuff (it's basically the Vicodin of brain meds) but using someone else's prescription medication is technically illegal. Over the long term you might inadvertantly screw your brain up. There's so much teen prescription drug abuse going on right now. Stupid kids. Don't just become another statistic! Image

You shouldn't have even taken that one in the first place. Don't take any more unless a medical professional gives them to you because they're necessary.

The best thing you can do for yourself is learn how to deal with life's problems instead of trying to make them go away with drugs. :| Just like drinking, they do the job for a brief moment but nothing really changes so you're stuck back at square 1, only with unpleasant side effects.

Also, stop smoking weed, especially if you smoke tobacco. The particles from both settle in different areas of the lungs, giving you a 100% chance of developing lung cancer. That's what killed George Harrison.

EDIT: Changed it. Happy now, Triton? :P

Triton

Post by Triton » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:45 pm

actually benzodiazepines are NOT antidepressants, they are an anxiolytic (anti anxiety), muscle relaxant and anticonvulsant drug. they are usually perscribed for anxiety, panic disorder, seizures, and stuff like that. also there is no proof that marijuana is anywhere near as carcinogenic as tobacco, but smoking ANYTHING is bad for your health.

samus
Steam ID:masamus

Post by samus » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:07 pm

here's the deal: just because you've smoked only maybe about a pack in your life doesn't mean you are less susceptible to become addicted. becoming addicted to nicotine takes constant or steady use, the same way that caffeine affects the human body.

second of all: just because someone smokes marijuana and tobacco does not mean that they will 100% get lung cancer. genetics, frequency of use, and predisposed conditions such as COPD, Asthma, Emphysema (which can also be exacerbated by smoking anything) are what you need to worry about. hell, someone could die from a stroke from smoking a pack of cigarettes.

third: listen to bicostp. prescription drug abuse is A VERY VERY BAD THING. just don't do it. i've taken xanax before, but it was prescribed to me for panic attacks. and the dose was very small. the smallest the pharmacies sell. but either way, even if you take one of those, you're pretty much addicted. just like snorting cocaine or pumping some heroine, you're immediately addicted. it doesn't take steady use to want to use it all the freaking time.

and just because someone is looking for a "way to get high" does not mean that they have mental problems. some are looking for spiritual advice, some are looking for a pain killer.

and last: i am a video game nerd and all i do is read peer review journals and medical reports. my major is in speech and language pathology. not everyone follows the stereotype.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Woah. No need to get harsh here.

I never said any stereotypes were in play here, just that a doctor would have far better advice on this. And that is most obviously true.

ValiantVenality
Portablizer

Post by ValiantVenality » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:13 pm

Heres a PM that I sent to a member on here that explains my whole situation.

And its not like I want to take them to get messed up and not care about anything. I like it because it makes me feel better about myself. I don't have any drug abuse problems. I never abuse weed. I smoke, but its not like I HAVE to smoke all the time and do nothing else. And with Xanax (I've only tried vicoden and codeine once and I like it, but it doesnt appeal to me as much) it makes me feel like I can be myself and be happier at the same time. I dont have problems in life either. I know it sounds crazy but do you kind of understand my drift? I don't do drugs just to get messed up. I do them because it makes me feel better in many ways. Like in class today I was still doing all my work, and it made me almost want to do my work. I used to take ADD medicine that my doctor prescribed to me but I HATED IT WITH A PASSION. It only worked for like one period. Then I got depressed and I didn't want to do anything. Then I couldn't ever go to sleep. Ugh it was terrible.

This basically explains my whole situation. As you've read, I don't do drugs just to go get high. It makes me feel like a better person.

VV

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:21 pm

Dude, do your self a favor and don't do drugs

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:34 pm

I don't care what the reason, don't do drugs without a prescription. It's illegal and you could easily die from it.

If you really want to take this crap, just go to your doctor and get a prescription.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:34 pm

"Don't do drugs" means simply nothing to anyone. Save your breaths. :lol:

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:47 pm

ValiantVenality wrote:And its not like I want to take them to get messed up and not care about anything. I like it because it makes me feel better about myself. I don't have any drug abuse problems. I never abuse weed. I smoke, but its not like I HAVE to smoke all the time and do nothing else. And with Xanax (I've only tried vicoden and codeine once and I like it, but it doesnt appeal to me as much) it makes me feel like I can be myself and be happier at the same time. I dont have problems in life either. I know it sounds crazy but do you kind of understand my drift? I don't do drugs just to get messed up. I do them because it makes me feel better in many ways. Like in class today I was still doing all my work, and it made me almost want to do my work. I used to take ADD medicine that my doctor prescribed to me but I HATED IT WITH A PASSION. It only worked for like one period. Then I got depressed and I didn't want to do anything. Then I couldn't ever go to sleep. Ugh it was terrible.
From what you wrote, you're just going around trying different heavyweight prescription medications for recreational use. :facepalm: From the sound of it there's no reason for you to take antidepressants/stimulants/whatever aside from wanting the buzz they give you. (Which is a sign of addiction.) You don't need them, so don't take them. Think of the side effects! You can potentially suffer from liver damage if you take some medications together or along with alcohol.

Stop it. You're on a road to disaster. You need to learn to suck it up and deal with life's little problems like everyone else in the world. If you need them to feel like doing your schoolwork, [Diety] help you if you still think you need them when you have real responsibilities to deal with like a job, a mortgage, (hopefully) a family to support, and student loans to pay off. There are things in life you have to do that you don't want to. It's part of being an adult.

There's a BIG difference between "I use prescription drugs because they make me feel good" and "I use prescription drugs because I have serious issues I can't cope with without them".

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but trust me it's what you need to hear. :| You're starting down a dangerous path, and you need to catch yourself before it's too late.

Triton

Post by Triton » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:01 pm

I don't care what the reason, don't do drugs without a prescription. It's illegal and you could easily die from it.
While this is sound reasoning its more fear mongering than anything. the only way you will die from doing drugs that arent yours is stupidity and lack of research (or just straight up bad luck) in this day and age information is available online for almost any kind of medication and even illegal drugs, websites fully explain the actions of the drug, side effects, interactions, dosages and almost anything else you want to know. you SHOULDNT take drugs that arent yours, but its not going to kill you to do it if you have a single shred of intelligence and think about what you are doing
From what you wrote, you're just going around trying different heavyweight prescription medications for recreational use. :facepalm: From the sound of it there's no reason for you to take antidepressants/stimulants/whatever aside from wanting the buzz they give you. (Which is a sign of addiction.) You don't need them, so don't take them. Think of the side effects! You can potentially suffer from liver damage if you take some medications together or along with alcohol.

Stop it. You're on a road to disaster. You need to learn to suck it up and deal with life's little problems like everyone else in the world. If you need them to feel like doing your schoolwork, [Diety] help you if you still think you need them when you have real responsibilities to deal with like a job, a mortgage, (hopefully) a family to support, and student loans to pay off. There are things in life you have to do that you don't want to. It's part of being an adult.

There's a BIG difference between "I use prescription drugs because they make me feel good" and "I use prescription drugs because I have serious issues I can't cope with without them".

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but trust me it's what you need to hear. :| You're starting down a dangerous path, and you need to catch yourself before it's too late.
Thats very, very assumptive of you bic. while your advice is sound i think it is unwarranted in this case. its not like he is going out and getting bombed out/messed up on random drugs. I have been talking to him for the better part of an hour on instant messenger and he ISNT stupid, nor is he acting in a reckless manner. he IS going to a doctor soon, and WILL be talking to a medical professional about what medication will be right for him. he is on concerta and i have a lot of first hand experience with ADD medication and have been talking to him about them and the other drugs that have been mentioned in this thread. and we have basically decided that the root of his problems lies in the meds that were PRESCRIBED TO HIM.