Completely Ghetto Crap You Have Made Yourself (56k?)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Biased
Completely Ghetto Crap You Have Made Yourself (56k?)

Post by Biased » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:03 am

Don't be ashamed to admit it, you've got at least one ghetto object lying around that you've made for various reasons. It's hideous, it has superfluous functions (or dysfunctions), and it's made out of crap lying around that you've shamelessly thrown together, but it gets the job done you set out to make it do.

Take for example, my own rendition of this little ditty, the DIY, Cheapass Professional Soldering Station. I got most of the parts from Home Depot.

Lovely, no? It's made with a slide-style light dimmer and rigged with a power cable torn from a CRT monitor so I could wire up ground. The dimmer controls both outlets equally.
Yes, the cover panel WAS originally supposed to cover all three parts, but the spot for the dimmer was too small and in my attempt to enlarge its space, I broke the plastic completely.

The on/off switch isn't even necessary since the dimmer clicks to off when slid all the way to the bottom (does that count toward ghetto points?). One nice thing about the dimmer is that the indicator light dims when you turn it all the way up, brightens when you have it lowered, and doesn't turn on unless there is something plugged into the outlet.

It's ugly, but it works. It would work better if I had a 40w iron, though, since anything lower such as a 30 or 25w basically only has the settings of "hot enough to set paper on fire from three feet away" or "use this to keep any solder from melting, ever".

That's mine. Show me what you've got, the worse, the better. +1 if it looks terrible yet does something awesome, +2 if you injured yourself making it. +3 if you regularly injure yourself using it.

...Tony

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Re: Completely Ghetto Crap You Have Made Yourself (56k?)

Post by nightwheel » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:44 am

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=25104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:48 am

I don't have a picture, but one day, I started to use my Dreamcast VGA cable since I had a CRT monitor. I had nothing to output sound to, so I went through my old stuff and found an old CD/Cassette/Radio. Ripped the speakers from that, and put them in an old keyboard box. Looked ugly but it worked.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:10 am

Well, there's the $1 tripod turned PDA stand:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 56#p382656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About 6 years ago, the only CD player I had hooked up to my stereo was an old CD-ROM drive run off a 12v wall wart and a 7805 with a custom-made "Internal analog CD audio out - to - RCA" cable connecting it to one of the tape inputs. (Now most of the stereo is in the garage because I don't have any room for it, and everything's on the computer anyway.)

My new PC's case has no front USB or audio ports, so right now I have the front panel connectors from an old eMachines I scrapped in the space the ZIP drive used to be in. It works but the case has no ventilation so the hard drives cook and the CPU eventually idles around 55 dregrees Celsius unless the side panel is removed. So right now there's a desk fan blowing cold air into it at an angle. Keeps everything nice and cool! (It will do until I get enough spare cash for a good aftermarket CPU cooler and a better case with more ventilation. I'm looking at the Antec 300, because it's got a good dust filter. That's important when you have kittehs.)

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:13 am

Most anything I make for "behind the camera" in my movies looks like crap.

A good recent example is the Possumus Woman "Blood Pump"

It's a 12 volt PC water-cooling pump screwed to a board (with Magic Marker "Blood Pump"), and a snap-mount switch hot glued on to activate it. Then, a series of cords patched together (cheaper than buying new ones) leads to a cigarette lighter plug so it can run off a car.

But hey, it worked!

-Ben

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:30 pm

Anyone remember this? 100% Ghetto GCp.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:34 pm

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e393/ ... tablel.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

madc0w
Location:In the ghetto of Larchmont! A HALF-A-MIL HOUSE IS GANGSER!

Post by madc0w » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:54 pm

Well today me and my friends made ghetto ass rafts and rafted in the long island sound. It was pretty amazing
Kayleigh57020 wrote: "button" is insanity.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 pm

Harshboy wrote:Anyone remember this? 100% Awesome GCp.
^Fixed
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724